Tourist Visa Overstay

Boog

Registered
Hi,

My tourist visa has run out, i've overstayed about a month. I have been told that I need to go to Immigration (Retiro) to buy a license 300 peso, (valid for 10days) then take it down to the port to immigration and pay a further 300 peso to leave the country. I was under the impression that i could go down to the port without any document and pay my fine there and then and leave the country.

Advice needed please.

Don't go to Retiro. Unless things have changed dramatically (no one has reported about it here), you can just pay when you leave.

Who told you you had to pay at migraciones as well?

Nope. Nothing's changed.
I paid the 300 peso fine at Ezieza last Wednesday. I had overstayed by about a month and a half - and the whole process took 30 mins, no questions asked. Go a couple of hours early, though. You never know when there'll be a long queue.
By port, do you mean airport or a sea-port?
Maybe the rule is different if you are leaving by sea? Though I highly doubt it.

Thanks for getting back to me, I read it on the government website, but its the first time i've heard of it aswell. I'm going to go to the sea-port as i'll go to uruguay for the day, so i'm hoping it will be the same process as at the airport. I had also been told that the fine has gone up to 600peso, however if you left last week and paid 300 then it can't be right.

I overstayed by about a week. Went to Colonia yesterday and came back same day and they didn't charge me anything. Don't know how I got away with that one. My lucky day?

irish said:
I overstayed by about a week. Went to Colonia yesterday and came back same day and they didn't charge me anything. Don't know how I got away with that one. My lucky day?

Luck of the irish.

irish said:

that was just to lull you into a false sense of security. Notice that black van parked outside your apartment this week? You know, with the guys inside always eating donuts? One of them with headphones on permanently? Yeah, you're fine... :eek:

Back