Tourist Visa Renewal At Ezeiza

This thread began with a question: "Do people recommend that I pay?" (referring to the overstay fee).

Although one member wrote that "You can't check in until you have paid the fine." I believe it is possible to leave without paying. It would then be necessary to pay it online before returning or pay with a credit card (only) upon arrival at EZE (when you return).

This was discussed at length in a thread started by smirkypants: I Was Denied Entry At Ezeiza

(It took a while for the reason entry was denied to be revealed in the thread.)

Dr. Rubilar once posted that there is no problem (with migraciones) when leaving Argentina, so I was surprised to see that he suggested leaving from Uruguay.

If this is John's first overstay I wonder why would it be better for him to avoid departure from EZE?

Have all of the "problems" for those with overstays been caused by the same official at EZE?

Does the fact that the overstay has been for more than two years make a difference?

Is there any chance (upon departure) that his passport could be stamped and he would be denied reentry for any length of time?

I ask this because I remember a thread about a foreigner who (I believe) was leaving Argentina after one overstay of multiple of years and was "hit" with a five year ban.

If understand correctly, being married to an Argentine doesn't carry any legal weight when entering the country if you haven't bothered to get legal residency, though it might be possible to appeal to the emotions of the migraciones official: Probable Entry Denial At Ezeiza After Overstay

Hopefully, the worst that will happen is John will be given 90 days to regularize his status (get residency based on the marriage) when he returns.

Meanwhile, I hope Dr Rubilar can be more specific about the possible issues/consequences John could face at EZE when he leaves and what he might be able do in advance (besides going early to pay the fine) in case migraciones makes an "issue" of his two year overstay.

Although one member wrote that "You can't check in until you have paid the fine." I believe it is possible to leave without paying. It would then be necessary to pay it online before returning or pay with a credit card (only) upon arrival at EZE (when you return).

I think I remember to have read that it's not against the law to leave without paying (but you have to pay before returning), however the airline might get charged and thus denies checking in/boarding without proof of payment. Haven't tried it myself for obvious reasons, but if you go to the checkin with an overstay they direct you to pay the fee, not sure what happens if you decline (and not keen on trying it out either ;) )

I had similar case, but much shorter overstay, few months. My embassy told me, that if there is nothing legal (criminal?) against me, they can't deny my leaving in any case, but it will be hard to return (they didn't mention possible boarding problems).

I think airlines is only responsible for destination, not leaving, I never heard about such case (but experienced the opposite).

No issues leaving but i assume he/she bought a return ticket to the same airport, right?

I left the country with no problems, when I got to the airport I went to the customs immigration stand, next to the arrival doors and they gave me a piece of paper that I took to the bank on the other side of the arrival doors then back to the customs stand. They gave me a piece of paper that showed I had paid. I had to show that piece of paper several times, to the delta check in people and customs and security inside the airport. all is well that ends well

You can also pay it within 10 days of your departure at the Migraciones office at Retiro station.

This seems like the most convenient option to renew my 8-year old son's visa before our return to the US in July from EZE. He will have overstayed for about 1 month. Does anyone know if the passport holder needs to be present?

This seems like the most convenient option to renew my 8-year old son's visa before our return to the US in July from EZE. He will have overstayed for about 1 month. Does anyone know if the passport holder needs to be present?

The tilte of this thread may have created some confusion. You cannot "renew a tourist visa" by paying the overstay fee. You can pay the overstay fee in Retiro station and you will get a receipt, but I believe it will only be good for ten days. If he doesn't leave the country before then, another overstay fee will be charged when he does.

If you actually want to extend his visa by 90 days (and prevent an overstay) you have to go to migraciones and get the prorroga de permanencia. Paying the overstay fee is obviously easier, so just be sure not to do so too soon.

PS: I don't know if the "passport holder" (aka your 8-year old son) needs to be present.

PS2: It's really important to use the correct terms when dealing with migraciones. I know of an expat who went to migraciones to "renew his tourist visa" but he told them he wanted "renew his passport" and they sent him to the US Embassy. Not asking for the "prorroga de permanencia" (which means extension of stay) cost him a needless trip to the Embassy and a trip back to migraciones the next day.
emo32.gif

If you actually want to extend his visa by 90 days (and prevent an overstay) you have to go to migraciones and get the prorroga de permanencia. Paying the overstay fee is obviously easier, so just be sure not to do so too soon.

Thanks for the clarification.

PS2: It's really important to use the correct terms when dealing with migraciones. I know of an expat who went to migraciones to "renew his tourist visa" but he told them he wanted "renew his passport" and they sent him to the US Embassy. Not asking for the "prorroga de permanencia" (which means extension of stay) cost him a needless trip to the Embassy and a trip back to migraciones the next day.
emo32.gif

Thanks for this tip too. I looked up the term for overstay fee and found this useful page: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/indexP.php?habilitacion_salida

It also answered my next question as to "Where in Retiro Station" do I go to get this done: Answer: "Puente Nº 5, (de 8 a 20 hs)"

Back