Tourist visa renewal?

Brit_In_BA

Registered
Hello all

I am planning on moving to BA this year to stay with my girlfriend(who is Argentinian). I’m not sure on the exact amount of time I will be there for, however I am assuming it will be just under 1 year. We are planning to leave Argentina multiple times to go on holiday to Mexico, Chile, Brazil, and will also most likely be visiting Uruguay at some point. These holidays will be no longer than 1 week each (apart from Mexico) and will be spread out over the duration of my stay in BA. What I want to know is whether I am likely to run into any trouble with immigration authorities coming back into Buenos Aires? As I think they may become suspicious of multiple exit and entry stamps in my passport, and may also think that I am carrying out these trips in a bid to “beat the system” and renew my visa by getting a new stamp, as many people do. I will not be working at all in BA, the funds I will be using will be from my time working in the UK, and I would be able to provide evidence of this to an immigration officer (if that would be any consolation). Would love some clarity on this situation. Thanks guys :)

I just counted the stamps in my passport, and since 2014 I've entered Argentina as a tourist 10 different times. I also renewed my tourist visa once. And during the past year and a half or so, I've been in Argentina more than I've been out of it. Whenever I enter the country, the experience at immigration is EXACTLY the same. They fingerprint you, take a photo, ask where you'll be staying, and send you on your way. This is obviously anecdotal and may depend on what country you're coming from (I'm from the US), but I don't think the people at immigration care about anything beyond doing exactly the minimum that their job requires, and that doesn't seem to include being vigilant about

While it's true that a tourist visa can only be renewed once at migraciones in a 360 day period, I don't think anyone has provided "evidence" that being in Argentina more than 180 days during the course of one year period is not allowed.

We do know that what was "acceptable" to migraciones for many years isn't acceptable now. Jantango can speak for herself, but I believe that she has had Argentine citizenship for several years.

Her lawyer (who knows more about this subject than the rest of us put together) would be the one to ask. Since he posts often we will probably hear from him soon.

Last edited:
I just counted the stamps in my passport, and since 2014 I've entered Argentina as a tourist 10 different times. I also renewed my tourist visa once. And during the past year and a half or so, I've been in Argentina more than I've been out of it. Whenever I enter the country, the experience at immigration is EXACTLY the same. They fingerprint you, take a photo, ask where you'll be staying, and send you on your way. This is obviously anecdotal and may depend on what country you're coming from (I'm from the US), but I don't think the people at immigration care about anything beyond doing exactly the minimum that their job requires, and that doesn't seem to include being vigilant about
Phew, thanks a lot Sam, reassuring to know :)

The immigration agents have wide freedom, so, it is not predictable. If you have bad luck and the agent is nationalist, then you are in troubled after the ARA San Juan u boat disappeared after it had an issue with a British u-boat.
The best is to arrive to Argentina from Uruguay because if you get rejected they just send you back to Uruguay and they do not have a jail for foreigners there.
Come from Uruguay by bus NOT by boat.

Two years ago I overstayed my visa. The next time I entered I was given a long lecture by the immigration. You just have to smile and agree. My entry was delayed by ten minutes. They never tried to stop me entering.

Back