Tourist Visas for a Year: Feasible Plan?

katzp339

Registered
Hello BA Expats,

Starting this September, I'm hoping to spend approximately 11 months in Buenos Aires in order to write (and enjoy the city). I'm in my mid-20s and have managed to save up enough money in the past few years to support myself and to do some traveling over the period, though not enough to qualify for a rentista visa. I had been planning to enter on a tourist visa and leave the country every 90 days. My Argentine friends universally insist that this will be fine, but poking around a number of threads on this (really great) site, I've started to worry a bit, and I'm hoping I can solicit your opinions on my situation. A few relevant details:

-I've been to Argentina three times and to Uruguay once in the last four years, and I already have 5 Argentine entry stamps spread across my passport
-I know I'll be returning to the US for about 10 days at the end of November (about 85 days after I enter Argentina), so I already have one visa renewal taken care of
-I'm planning to visit a friend in Brazil at least once, and I can probably arrange to take that trip about 90 days after I return from the US

So given all of this, a few questions:
-If I don't overstay my tourist visas and proceed along the lines above (with perhaps a trip to Colonia after my third 90-day visa expires), do you think it likely that I'll have any problems with Migraciones?
-Do any of you guys know of anybody turned away at EZE for having already spent 6 out of the past 12 months in Argentina?
-Would you think it inadvisable to take a trip to Chile in January and/or to Bolivia in June and thus to add extra visa stamps and chances to be denied re-entry into Argentina?

I know this is a lot of very particular information; thanks for taking the time to consider it. I look forward to your thoughts!

Just so we are all on the same page.

This is migraciones legal response to this very question :

nikad said:
Ok, they have replied to the email I have sent earlier today here it is:

[email protected]

para xxxxxxx
mostrar detalles 15:53 (hace 2 horas)

De nuestra consideración:

Le comunicamos que si la persona va ingresar en calidad de turista obtendrá un período de 90 días prorrogables en migraciones por 90 mas o sea que en total son 180 dias. Si el motivo del viaje no es de turismo deberá ingresar con el correspondiente visado del consulado argentino.

ATTE AREA DE COORDINACION OPERATIVA
DIRECCION GENERAL DE MOVIMIENTO MIGRATORIO
DIRECCION NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES

-----

They basically are saying that you can stay in the country for up to 180 days, anything over that you have to leave and re enter with the pertaining visa

-----

This was my original message to them:

Unos familiares viajan desde USA y quisiera saber cual es el maximo de dias que pueden permanecer en el pais durante el año en calidad de turistas? He leido que son 90 dias con la posibilidad de extender la visa por otros 90 dias. Que sucede luego? Pueden reingresar? Despues de cuantos dias? Gracias!

( Some family members are visiting from the US and I would like to know what is the maximum days they are allowed to stay during the year as tourists. I have heard it is 90 days with the possibility of getting a 90 day extension. Are they allowed to re enter? After how long? Thanks! )

---------------

And this is some more information on the 180 day limit.

syngirl said:
Legally in most countries one is only allowed to stay for a maximum of 180 days out of every 365 days on a tourist visa -- ie you're only allowed a maximum of 6 months out of every year. As far as I know there are no "180 day visas", there are only 90 day visas, that can be extended once for a total of 180 days. Then technically you are supposed to exit the country and not enter again until another 180 days have passed. In places such as the UK you get a bunch of stamps in your passport specifically stating the dates you entered and if you try and enter again they will turn you away. Although Argentina stamps your passports, so far I've never come across an agent that has enforced this.

After 180 days your country as well as the other country that you have been staying technically can argue your residency status. ie "Snowbirds" -- Canadians that head to Florida for the winter -- know that they've only got a max of 180 days in the States or they may have to pay taxes as well as have problems the next times they head back in. Also in terms of trying to switch to non-resident status for your home country (and thereby save some taxes) the 180 day rule really has a large say in the opposite direction -- ie you cannot stay more than 180 days in your home country if you have non-Resident status, or you'll suffer by way of your taxation.

Argentina in the past has never cared too much about all this. If Argentina operated the way Canadian or American Border Services act there wouldn't be nearly as many foreigners down here. The official rules in Argentina are the same as other countries, it's just that the border agents don't enforce them. However, perhaps these increases in visa fees are signs that that may change -- but really I doubt it -- I think what's happened is that they've finally clued in that it's a good money-making scheme so more than likely they will allow the continued abuse of the 90 day visas as long as people are happy to pay increased penalties.

Having said all that

It is very clear that this is technically illegal but, no, migraciones does not enforce the 180 day law. I have heard of a couple rare instances but that is when people are staying for years on end.

You can either go to Brazil or Uruguay and come back and migraciones will gladly stamp your passport with a fresh new 30 day tourist visa. You can also stay in Argentina and renew it at the migraciones office here in Buenos Aires, but you can only do this once, after that you will have to leave to one of the bordering countries and come back.

I have heard of a couple cases of people being denied reentry for this reason, but it is rare and like I said, it is usually after a couple years of doing this. I would also think trips to Chile and Bolivia would look very good on your passport. It will prove that you really are in South America traveling as a tourist and not just living a year in Argentina on a tourist visa ( big difference ).

The bottom line is Argentina does not enforce this 180 day rule. They are very liberal when it comes to immigration. And you should not have any problem whatsoever.

katzp339 said:
:
-If I don't overstay my tourist visas and proceed along the lines above (with perhaps a trip to Colonia after my third 90-day visa expires), do you think it likely that I'll have any problems with Migraciones?
-Do any of you guys know of anybody turned away at EZE for having already spent 6 out of the past 12 months in Argentina?
-Would you think it inadvisable to take a trip to Chile in January and/or to Bolivia in June and thus to add extra visa stamps and chances to be denied re-entry into Argentina?

You won't have any problem. Don't worry. Come and go as planned.

Three entry stamps in the past four years is not the pattern of a perma-tourist.

I am considering this route as well, and was wondering if you have to have a return plane ticket within the 90 day window, or can it be within 180 days and one just has to keep changing with the airline?

the return airline ticket is airline specific - some will sell/allow you to travel on a 1 way, others won't. I've never heard of anyone being asked to show proof of return travel when arriving in Argentina (have heard of airlines that required proof of onward travel however).

Reactions: A&A
I've never heard of anyone being asked to show proof of return travel when arriving in Argentina (have heard of airlines that required proof of onward travel however).

Hmmm..that's better news. The Consulate in Atlanta told us specifically that we had to have a "round trip ticket or that they would force us to buy one at the airport". (Not sure who "they" is, I assumed immigration guys that stamp your passport). I would prefer to get 1 way for many reasons: cheaper and not being "locked in" to a specific return date, or having to pay airlines $200+ to change ticket.

Any idea which airlines, or should I just call them individually. Anyone else have any experience with this?

A&A said:
I would prefer to get 1 way for many reasons: cheaper and not being "locked in" to a specific return date, or having to pay airlines $200+ to change ticket. Any idea which airlines, or should I just call them individually. Anyone else have any experience with this?

get a R/T ticket on points from AA. You can change the return date as many times as you want for free as long as you do it before 30 days to flight date. Then when you fly back in 2 years, just use that same ticket.

As gunt86 said, if you have miles on AA, it's great b/c you can change your departure date and no problems.

I think Air Mexicana (?? - not sure if that name is 100% right) does 1 way tix with no problems. But a lot of times, r/t is just as cheap as 1 way, worth checking.

Back