Tourist Visas for a Year: Feasible Plan?

First, don't worry about this 180 day rule thing. I don't really want to waste time arguing about its existence or not. Even if the 180 day rule thing is real the fact is they are not really enforcing it. I know lots of people here who just take a trip to colonia or visit their family in the US or whatever. I don't know what some of the people's experiences are on this site but I personally don't know anyone who has had any trouble with staying here for a year on a tourist visa.

A&A said:
Hmmm..that's better news. The Consulate in Atlanta told us specifically that we had to have a "round trip ticket or that they would force us to buy one at the airport". (Not sure who "they" is, I assumed immigration guys that stamp your passport). I would prefer to get 1 way for many reasons: cheaper and not being "locked in" to a specific return date, or having to pay airlines $200+ to change ticket.

Any idea which airlines, or should I just call them individually. Anyone else have any experience with this?

I ran into this as I was returning from a visit to New York recently - I did not have a return ticket to leave Argentina.. the agent at Continental saw this and thought it might be a problem.. she had to check the fine print and call supervisors, but finally it was resolved that one "should" have a return ticket, but one doesn't "need" one, so I was let off the hook.

YMMV.. it seems to be a grey area, up to the airlines to enforce, since Argentine immigration doesn't come into play until you're actually down here - the officials who look at your tickets and passport in your originating country are only from that country (in this case, U.S.) - Argentine officials don't see your paperwork until you're actually in the country. So presumably once you're actually here, they're not going to force you to go back just for not having a return ticket. They didn't even ask me about it, the whole entry process was quick and painless.

Including, I might add, the lack of searching my bags - all the luggage went through those strange scanners (which I've never seen upon entering a country, only when beginning a flight..) I was worried about the amount of stuff I was bringing in, and the value of it all - if they'd looked, it was obvious I was here to live, not for a quick tourist visit. But he simply asked if it was all personal effects for me, I answered yes, and I was on my way. Whew.

MacDaddy said:
Including, I might add, the lack of searching my bags - all the luggage went through those strange scanners (which I've never seen upon entering a country, only when beginning a flight..) I was worried about the amount of stuff I was bringing in, and the value of it all - if they'd looked, it was obvious I was here to live, not for a quick tourist visit. But he simply asked if it was all personal effects for me, I answered yes, and I was on my way. Whew.

I had five heavy bags, but they only scanned one and asked if I was traveling alone!

They knew I had residency and a DNI because I wrote it on the form.

I was prepared to show that all but the allowed limit of $300 USD was "used" (no tags or original packaging), but they didn't ask me to open any of the bags.

I have flown from the US on a one way ticket, but the last two times I presented my DNI with my passsport when checking in (in the US) and nothing was said.

gunt86 said:
get a R/T ticket on points from AA. You can change the return date as many times as you want for free as long as you do it before 30 days to flight date. Then when you fly back in 2 years, just use that same ticket.

I have flown American Airlines and Delta many times and neither of them have ever asked me about a return ticket.

laureltp said:
First, don't worry about this 180 day rule thing. I don't really want to waste time arguing about its existence or not. Even if the 180 day rule thing is real the fact is they are not really enforcing it. I know lots of people here who just take a trip to colonia or visit their family in the US or whatever. I don't know what some of the people's experiences are on this site but I personally don't know anyone who has had any trouble with staying here for a year on a tourist visa.

Or, simply overstay the tourist visa and pay the $300 peso fine when you leave.

MacDaddy said:
YMMV.. it seems to be a grey area, up to the airlines to enforce, since Argentine immigration doesn't come into play until you're actually down here - the officials who look at your tickets and passport in your originating country are only from that country (in this case, U.S.) - Argentine officials don't see your paperwork until you're actually in the country. So presumably once you're actually here, they're not going to force you to go back just for not having a return ticket. They didn't even ask me about it, the whole entry process was quick and painless.

They certainly could pack you up on the next flight home. & it's the airline the brought you there that has to bring you home. This is why airlines check the requirements carefully. They don't want to be responsible to take people home on their dime if they are denied entry.

Back