Tourists leave hundreds of millions of dollars in Argentina

All the greenbacks exchanged at the cuevas and parrillas plus hotels.
Americans represent only 8%..!

And 85% of those dollars will never be seen by the BCRA according to their own reporting because they'll give you $145 pesos per dollar while guys on Florida Street, restaurants, tour operators, and stores will gladly give double that with no wait times, no passport photocopying, no drama.

The K economic philosophy is once again proved to be the antithesis to Occam's razor: the most convoluted and Kafkaesque approach is the best.

Earlier this year, I found 5 pesos of that on the sidewalk, so I can testify that this article is true.
This happened to me earlier this week walking through Plaza Armenia - my girlfriend spotted it on the floor and remarked how it had been so long since she had seen a 5 peso note. Just how rare are they?

This happened to me earlier this week walking through Plaza Armenia - my girlfriend spotted it on the floor and remarked how it had been so long since she had seen a 5 peso note. Just how rare are they?
Most have been tossed in the bin, but you can still find a few on people's dressers. Earlier this year I made a necklace from 5 and 2 peso bills, along with 5, 10, 25, and 50 centavo coins. The entire necklace is worth 17 pesos. At the current blue, thats about 5 cents US. I have no worries about motochorros snatching it when I wear it.

Most have been tossed in the bin, but you can still find a few on people's dressers. Earlier this year I made a necklace from 5 and 2 peso bills, along with 5, 10, 25, and 50 centavo coins. The entire necklace is worth 17 pesos. At the current blue, thats about 5 cents US. I have no worries about motochorros snatching it when I wear it.
I don't know if it's relevant, but I have noted here downtown that the long-standing shortage of change has become even more acute over the last few weeks. Nobody can make change anymore, and it's not just one or two pesos. I spent 620 pesos at the carnicería last night, on some "roastbeef" ground into hamburger, gave the guy 700, and he just handed me back one of the hundreds, with the usual platitude about paying next time.

Nobody has any small bills. The new 5 and 10 peso coins are very nice, but there are nowhere near enough of them.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I have noted here downtown that the long-standing shortage of change has become even more acute over the last few weeks. Nobody can make change anymore, and it's not just one or two pesos. I spent 620 pesos at the carnicería last night, on some "roastbeef" ground into hamburger, gave the guy 700, and he just handed me back one of the hundreds, with the usual platitude about paying next time.

Nobody has any small bills. The new 5 and 10 peso coins are very nice, but there are nowhere near enough of them.
Nobody likes coins, anywhere on earth.
Despite what the libertarian anti-fiat currency guys say, paper money is easy, and it doesnt cause unsightly bulges in your fitted tapered trousers.

plus, pretty much all coins these days cost more to make than the face value.
So the government, be it Argentine, US, or other, makes as few coins as they can get away with, and most people throw them in a jar on their hall table, because they hate carrying them.
We just have to wait until 100 pesos is so small an amount that the smallest denomination is 100 peso bills.

Reactions: Moe
Nobody likes coins, anywhere on earth.
Despite what the libertarian anti-fiat currency guys say, paper money is easy, and it doesnt cause unsightly bulges in your fitted tapered trousers.

plus, pretty much all coins these days cost more to make than the face value.
So the government, be it Argentine, US, or other, makes as few coins as they can get away with, and most people throw them in a jar on their hall table, because they hate carrying them.
We just have to wait until 100 pesos is so small an amount that the smallest denomination is 100 peso bills.
For many years before I left the states I threw pennies in the trash can. So enjoyable.

Back