Train To Tucuman

estebandepraga

Registered
Hola a todos y todas!
Has anyone evere taken the train to Tucuman from Retiro? Curious about delays, comfort, difficulty of getting tickets,etc
I would like to take a friend of mine from Prague in Feb on it . Any comments greatly appreciated
Felices fiestas happy holidays
Esteban

I took it about 20 years ago and had no idea it was still running. Not for the faint of heart unless you are a train fanatic.

Perhaps they have invested some money to make it better. lol

Hola a todos y todas!
Has anyone evere taken the train to Tucuman from Retiro? Curious about delays, comfort, difficulty of getting tickets,etc
I would like to take a friend of mine from Prague in Feb on it . Any comments greatly appreciated
Felices fiestas happy holidays
Esteban

Be ready to climb aboard a bus when (not if) it breaks down.

We took it about 7-8 years ago, so this info is not exactly up-to-date, but:
  • It was extremely inexpensive and excruciatingly slow. It took us over a day to get there, and it cost us the equivalent of USD 30.
  • They offered two classes at the time, with negligible differences between them (there was a sleeper car class that we were told was out of service). This means have fun sleeping on bench-style seats that don't recline more than 15°.
  • There is no climate control, but there is a good atmosphere of comradery amongst the stricken passengers. Lots of mate.
  • At the time, the only way to book a ticket was by buying in person at Retiro at least two months in advance. Them were leaner times here, so there were alot of people who had no other way to travel.
Overall, it can be a fun experience for young folks looking for new friends and experiences and who are not limited by time/comfort constraints, but you have to know that going into it and be ready to take zillions of deep breaths.

Like I said this was a while back, and I'm not sure how things have changed, but hope it helps.

Only if you can waste a day of your precious time in precarious conditions. Will likely take another day to recover from the charming experience but do not expect to forget it in this lifetime.

NOT the season to try this, weather way too hot and the running water will likely run out by the time the train has almost left the station. Bring you TP and picture Dante´s Inferno as a sandbox compared to the train´s restroom facilities.

Take the bus, WAAAY more decent way to travel and treat your body and psyche.
Last summer I decided at the last minute to take a flight but my choices were in between the bus and the plane. Bus was half of the plane ticket (I´m a local).
Done the trip by train a couple of times in my youth and still have nightmares.

Trains are a bad word here in Argentina. They are almost non existant. They used to be great, but several governments pushed by the automobile industry interests, killed them. A Pitty.

People Camp around Retiro for days to buy the tickets... only one way .... also 2 tickets per person.... sold out in advance.... go inquire at the box office in Retiro for tickets for Feb 2014

A friend took it 2 years ago, they went in the sleeper car, said it was clean and confortable, food was decent and the air conditioning blew cold.

Im also Argentine and I know about train travel and the horrors of it but I thought maybe this was a slight exception!
thanks to all for the advise

Lan is looking better
gracias
Esteban

Back