TransferWise comes to Argentina

Has anybody used transferwise to send a payment to an argentina account that is in USD? It does not seem to ask for the CBU. I have an email out to transferwise, but I figure I am not the only one with this question.

I think TransferWise would have no problem sending dollars anywhere.
The problem is Argentina will not let you have your dollars here.
Am I wrong?

I phoned TW again regarding depositing USD into my Argentine USD bank acct, they told me yes they can. No problem she said !!!
So I was wrong.

Another hard to believe …. that I can get my USD into Argentina without having to go to Uruguay.
To prove it to myself, .. I will make another transfer just to really see it with my own eyes !!!!!!!
Tomorrow I will go to my Arg bank to get the SWIFT Number and all other info of my Arg USD acct

Lesson learned …. never assume or reason any thing.

Last edited:
But again what would be the advantage? …. . no one in Arg will ever match the rate of TW when converting USD to pesos here !!!
Seems I am better off having TW do both the transfer AND the conversion to pesos for me.
Or am I missing something ?

In any case, it is good to know that you can have your USD here (for whatever reason), if you want to.

Last edited:
From my bank in the U.S., I can transfer directly to my Argie account. Can't you do that from most banks?

'The bank account at the destination can be anyone or has to be in the senders name..???

The recipient can be different than the sender. I know this from experience and I imagine a significant number of transfers are from one person to another, as opposed to individuals sending money from and to their own accounts.

From my bank in the U.S., I can transfer directly to my Argie account. Can't you do that from most banks?

Yes, but the advantage of using Transferwise is doing so at a lower cost per transfer than most banks charge.
ransferwise page open

PS And it´s really easy to check the exchange rate instantaneously by keeping the transferwise page open and changing the amount of the transfer by a dollar at a time. That only takes two key strokes.

Last edited:
I was away for a while.

One of the transfers I made was deposited into my Arg acct in 2 (yes TWO) hours. (5 click ... 2 hours later my funds in my acct … didn`t even finish my coffee)!!!!!!!!!

This is the 2nd time I receive my funds in HOURS !
5 key strokes and 4 hours later, my funds in my bank acct !
(no questions asked, … no documentation whatsoever .. and best exchange rate in town)
First time it took 2 hours !

PSA: This is probably mentioned in other parts of the forum, but I learned this while using Transfer Wise. When you received your CUIL/CUIT originally (before receiving DNI), it is a temporary number. Once you receive your DNI the CUIL changes to 20+DNI+8. I say this because I had saved my transfer details in transfer wise and made multiple transfers successfully. Once I received my DNI it got rejected because my CUIL/CUIT had changed from what I had originally saved. Fortunately I had recently gone into the bank to update my account with my DNI and when I asked about the transfer rejection it was with the same lady who figured out what the issue was.

Back