Transiting Df

Thanks, never heard of. So do you refer to Buenos Aires as CF (Capital Federal)?

Last Sept I flew to SFO on Avianca. The layover in San Salvador was 5.5 hrs. Passengers in transit did not have to retrieve their suitcases or pass thru immigration.

We did have to go thru 2 security checkpoints. First, all passengers were sniffed by German shepherds being handled by national guardsmen as soon as we disembarked from the airplane. A middle-aged male passenger of Chinese origin walking in front of me was removed at that point from the line. I remembered that he had embarked in Lima. Later at the VIP lounge I asked and was told that immigration authorities in El Salvador had been notified by Interpol of order to capture as he was suspected of human trafficking. At the next checkpoint we placed our carry-on items thru scanners. Some passengers were removed from that line and their belongings were searched by hand.

This was my first flight on Avianca. I have nothing but praise for the service provided by the in-cabin crew as well as ground personnel. But what impacted me the most was the civility of my fellow passengers. Likewise on my flight back to EZE. My trip home this year will again be with Avianca.

Serafina, not any longer. Now is CABA.....Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires.

John Doe.....
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]My thinking is that it's a conspiracy between the airlines and hotels. Who is going to stay at airport hotels? Possibly some business people, but few others. [/background]

Your theory may be correct. I am inclined to believe that passengers are discouraged from leaving the confines of airports not solely as an opportunistic economic measure but also as part of the new global security regulations.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Through the years, I have taken hundreds of flights and never had a long overnight connection, until about 2 years ago. On a Turkish Airline flight I had to stay at a hotel at Istanbul airport from about 21 00 to 08 00. All of these overnight connections give travelers no time to see the connecting city. If you want to stay an extra day at the connecting city, they will charge you hundreds. of $US'[/background]

Was your 11-hr layover at the Istanbul airport the fault of Turkish Airlines?

Was your 11-hr layover at the Istanbul airport the fault of Turkish Airlines?

A ploy so the passenger has to book himself in a airport hotel and not in a city hotel as he has no time.

I never flew Turkish cos it seems many of their cheap flights work on 11 hour layovers...

A ploy so the passenger has to book himself in a airport hotel and not in a city hotel as he has no time.

I never flu Turkish cos it seems many of their cheap flights work on 11 hour layovers...

The issue is about the timing.

Turkish has one daily 5-times-per-week flight between Istanbul and Brazil/Argentina. From here to Istanbul it departs at night, stops in Brazil in the early hours of the morning, and arrives in Istanbul at about 9:30 PM. From Istanbul the flight departs at 9 AM, arrives in Brazil in the early evening, and here at night.

This means that unless they have a very late flight from Istanbul, and a flight to Istanbul that arrives by 7 AM, the connecting flight will be respectively on the next or on the previous day - hence the long connection.

For Middle East and further out, they often have decent connecting times, not so much for Europe. OTOH their prices to Europe often reflect the extra hassle involved.

Ms G,
Please wear that hat to Coffee Chat on Tuesday. Perhaps you're saving it for Easter?

Back