Translator/interpreter + Chef (Usa + Uk)

Terere

Registered
Hi everybody! I'm Carla, soon moving back to Buenos Aires after 18 years abroad, dragging my lovely British husband along with me. Well, not "dragging" really: it was his idea to move there after he fell in love with Buenos Aires last winter.

So here we are, on the verge of moving. I grew up in Buenos Aires and spent many a summer holiday there, so I'm not only well-versed in castellano but also in the ins and outs of porteño life. I just finished a Master's degree in Conference Interpreting, and I'm hopeful to find some sort of work in BA. I'm also an experienced translator, and I will continue working with my European clients while living in BA. Still, I have to ask: are there any translators or interpreters out there who could give me some pointers on the profession within a BA context? What's the average going rate? Pesos or dollars? Associations worth joining? Etc.

As for hubbers (yes, he'll be embarrassed if he sees I posted that here), he's a magnificent chef who's worked with a prominent London chef for the last five years. He's moving to BA with little Spanish, and looking for a good Spanish school in which to take intensive courses. Any recommendations? Also... any chefs out there who would like to offer some advice on getting started in BA?

In any case: Hello everybody! It is lovely to meet you, and I hope to be able to contribute to this forum. And, who knows, maybe meet some of you in the near future?

Good luck and welcome. You can send your husband to UBA for classes, which works as an introduction. After a term or two you might consider private classes for him as it will speed it up. You'll find various recommendations on here for teachers. It'll be tricky to get work as a chef without spanish although you might look to cater to expats looking for a private chef. If you're coming with a few quid you might look at trying a pop up restaurant and if it goes well using your own place as a casa cerrada. That seems to work for overseas chefs. We do have a forum member with a famously tasty noodle bar in palermo.

Hi there, there is a lot of demand for conference interpreters in Buenos Aires, but there is also a lot of competition. You will have a huge advantage having lived in an English speaking country and being Argentine. If you are experienced, working 6 hours you can make over $2000 pesos per day (which a lot of money for Argentina).

Translation work doesn't pay well here, except for legal translations, for which you have to be certified by the Colegio de Traductores Públicos for them to be valid. Keep on working with your European clients and get paid in foreign currency for translation work as long as you possibly can.

Here are some links:
http://www.aati.org.ar/site/

http://www.traductores.org.ar/

http://www.mcdonough.../es/cursos.html

Good luck!

Hi everybody! I'm Carla, soon moving back to Buenos Aires after 18 years abroad, dragging my lovely British husband along with me. Well, not "dragging" really: it was his idea to move there after he fell in love with Buenos Aires last winter.

So here we are, on the verge of moving. I grew up in Buenos Aires and spent many a summer holiday there, so I'm not only well-versed in castellano but also in the ins and outs of porteño life. I just finished a Master's degree in Conference Interpreting, and I'm hopeful to find some sort of work in BA. I'm also an experienced translator, and I will continue working with my European clients while living in BA. Still, I have to ask: are there any translators or interpreters out there who could give me some pointers on the profession within a BA context? What's the average going rate? Pesos or dollars? Associations worth joining? Etc.

As for hubbers (yes, he'll be embarrassed if he sees I posted that here), he's a magnificent chef who's worked with a prominent London chef for the last five years. He's moving to BA with little Spanish, and looking for a good Spanish school in which to take intensive courses. Any recommendations? Also... any chefs out there who would like to offer some advice on getting started in BA?

In any case: Hello everybody! It is lovely to meet you, and I hope to be able to contribute to this forum. And, who knows, maybe meet some of you in the near future?

Hi, I can introduce your husband to quite a few chefs once he has got his Spanish up to scratch. Also, if you give me some idea of where he has worked and in what positions I would be happy to forward his details to a number of people.

Welcome! There are a few of us who are working as translators, but I don't really have any advice specific for BA. There are PowWow of translators in BsAs, but I have only been to one and it was more fun than business. There is a ProZ regional conference in La Plata next month, in case you will be here.

Good luck and welcome. You can send your husband to UBA for classes, which works as an introduction. After a term or two you might consider private classes for him as it will speed it up. You'll find various recommendations on here for teachers. It'll be tricky to get work as a chef without spanish although you might look to cater to expats looking for a private chef. If you're coming with a few quid you might look at trying a pop up restaurant and if it goes well using your own place as a casa cerrada. That seems to work for overseas chefs. We do have a forum member with a famously tasty noodle bar in palermo.

Ooh! That sounds promising. Mostly because he is thinking about the casa cerrada type setting, and our goal for our first six months there is to eat our way through all the fabulous casa cerradas already there. So we'll make a point out of checking out that wonderful sounding noodle place. Thanks!

And also, thanks for the tip on Spanish classes!

Hi there, there is a lot of demand for conference interpreters in Buenos Aires, but there is also a lot of competition. You will have a huge advantage having lived in an English speaking country and being Argentine. If you are experienced, working 6 hours you can make over $2000 pesos per day (which a lot of money for Argentina).

Translation work doesn't pay well here, except for legal translations, for which you have to be certified by the Colegio de Traductores Públicos for them to be valid. Keep on working with your European clients and get paid in foreign currency for translation work as long as you possibly can.

Here are some links:
http://www.aati.org.ar/site/

http://www.traductores.org.ar/

http://www.mcdonough.../es/cursos.html

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip(s)! And funny you mentioned it: I had already heard about the infamous colegio. I think I'll just try to stick to my Euro clients for now, as you adviced, but I'll still look into conferences or translator/interpreter hangouts just to meet people (thanks for the links!).

And PS: I love your profile picture.

Welcome! There are a few of us who are working as translators, but I don't really have any advice specific for BA. There are PowWow of translators in BsAs, but I have only been to one and it was more fun than business. There is a ProZ regional conference in La Plata next month, in case you will be here.

Thanks for that. Sadly, our arrival date is set for September 6th. But I did hear that IAPTI is having a workshop in.. October maybe? I need to check and see. If I find the info I'll post it on the forum to share with other fellow expat translators/interpreters.

Hi, I can introduce your husband to quite a few chefs once he has got his Spanish up to scratch. Also, if you give me some idea of where he has worked and in what positions I would be happy to forward his details to a number of people.

Thanks for the offer! That would be great.

I am not sure about divulging his private information in the forum. If it were about me, I wouldn't mind, but I know he's a bit more private than I am (that good old American vs. Brit conundrum!). Do you mind sending me an e-mail? [email protected]

Back