Travel Channel Relocation Television Series

Scenes of unsuccessfully trying to open a bank account, waiting an excessive amount of time in line at a grocery store or to be served in a restaurant, changing dollars to pesos or getting your deposit back for a temporary rental could be pretty boring but at least they would show what life would really be like. Scenes of being mugged in the street or have your cellphone or camera swiped of of your hand would be much more dramatic and no less accurate.

I had seen those kind of shows where people leave their home country and move abroad in Europe. Believe it or not - seeing those episodes where a lot things went wrong were way more entertaining than the success stories. So what you describe could actually result in (a) quite entertaining TV episode(s).

im sorry y'all but there's a fine line between being aware and cautious and just being the wet blanket in any situation. that being said, you're all free to live on whatever side of that line you want to live on.

now you're actually trying to say 'well most of the people who come here looking for advice about moving are insincere of scammers'? gosh i hate the internet sometimes.

as i can think of at least 12 million better ways to spend my time than participating in this thread, im done here. peace love and tranquility to all xoxo

im sorry y'all but there's a fine line between being aware and cautious and just being the wet blanket in any situation. that being said, you're all free to live on whatever side of that line you want to live on.

now you're actually trying to say 'well most of the people who come here looking for advice about moving are insincere of scammers'? gosh i hate the internet sometimes.

as i can think of at least 12 million better ways to spend my time than participating in this thread, im done here. peace love and tranquility to all xoxo

Are you talking to me? Since you didn't use the quote feature and just referred to those who had posted in this thread as "y'all" it's impossible to know for sure.

Please don't put words in my mouth by implying that I was "trying to say" anything, including 'well most of the people who come here looking for advice about moving are insincere of scammers" (which is poor English).

I have made thousands of posts offering constructive advice to those who had questions about moving here, including wanabe expats like Deb (who turned out to be a fake) and (much more recently) Kevinbryan who made absurd statements about how he was going to get his DNI in a week and make a profit changing dollars at the official rate.

Since you joined the forum in late July of 2013, you probably never read any of the posts in this thread: Reporting contact with an international fugitive in BA?
which I began by "asking" a question about an expat who I already knew was a scammer from reading his posts as well as his replies to mine. I was "accused" of starting a "witch hunt" but I was sure the guy was a bad apple. Anyone who brags about jumping turnstiles in the train station while wearing a business suit may not be all bad, but it turns out he was hiring other expats to work en negro and he never paid most of them. He was also on the run form felony warrants for financial fraud in the USA.

There was little peace love or tranquility left in his wake.

PS: When I implied that the turnstile jumper was a phoney in a thread in which he was "soliciting" expats to work for him he accused me of "effing" with his posts but he did not use the euphemism that I just did. Until his true identity was finally revealed, most critisism of him here disapeared rather quickly and I can understand that (for "legal" reasons). Ironically, he was probably the most "illegal" expat ever to haunt the forum.

wow, everyone give 'em a break! an expat forum where people come DAILY to ask tons of questions about relocation prior to relocating is a great place to look for people who are relocating. how many threads are there like "moving in Feb, where should I live?" etc etc etc. plenty.

edit: PONELE ONDA

Good point.

But still I chuckle as is this program or other has "discovered" Argentina some 11 + years after may savvy travellers did.I had the same experience in Ireland with people chasing the rainbow after the pot of gold had been discovered and well emptied in the 90s. s this like a "history"program?

Thanks to the last post, I just thought of a couple more "interesting" events that might occur in the "reality" TV show about a couple or family relocating to Buenos Aires, especially if the new immigrants buy an apartment.

Getting $100,000 dollars into the country would be an interesting "challenge" and discovering that their foreign assets and income are subject to taxation in Argentina would be a couple of not so nice surprises.

But for a really great and, as far as I know at this point, completely fictional plot twist, the new arrivals could be faced with the eventual discovery that the apartment was owned by one of the producers of the show, kinda like what happened when my first Argentine girlfriend found out that the apartment she bought in Tigre was owned by the real estate agent that showed it to her in the first place (without mentioning that she was the owner).

I met two people that filmed an episode for "House Hunters International" which I believe is a Travel Channel show... here In Buenos AIres. I am pretty sure both were already living here when they were chosen to film, one I am sure is no longer living in the city... They were paid relatively well, for only being taken around the city and pretending to be shopping for a home.

Anyway.. I say all that to say.. this forum is a cynical bunch... and stranger things have happened. They actually COULD be looking for people to film so they can pitch a show.

If someone is thinking of trying out for the show... This could be your chance for your 15 seconds of fame BUT do your own due diligence.

I met two people that filmed an episode for "House Hunters International" which I believe is a Travel Channel show... here In Buenos AIres. I am pretty sure both were already living here when they were chosen to film, one I am sure is no longer living in the city... They were paid relatively well, for only being taken around the city and pretending to be shopping for a home.

Anyway.. I say all that to say.. this forum is a cynical bunch... and stranger things have happened. They actually COULD be looking for people to film so they can pitch a show.

If someone is thinking of trying out for the show... This could be your chance for your 15 seconds of fame BUT do your own due diligence.

In defense of the cynics, the original post is pretty vague. It would have been very easy to give a little background, and to state that they were with an independent production company doing a show for the Travel Channel. They didn't feel they had to, because everybody wants to be on TV! :cool:

Back