Travel health insurance

tangoguitar

Registered
My wife and I have to travel to California for a few months. I am a US citizen and she is not. We don't have a private health plan here so we are considering buying temporary insurance for the time we are there. I found this site which gives quotes for different plans:

Does anyone have experience buying temporary health insurance for travel to the United States?

My wife had to travel to the States in May and she got a traveler's policy with Insubuy. She didn't have to use it and at the time I don't think any plans covered covid, but apparently that company now has plans that do. She did think they were good about communicating with her before, during and after the trip.

Hey Stantucker....GREAT information about the insurance! And it is important to vary the info...like amount of coverage...to get a quote. People knock this site...dopes! I have learned a ton of stuff as a new person in B.A.

Make sure you understand the benefits, and their definitions, very well. I have Medicare and a secondary. Medicare does not cover me abroad, but the secondary does in case of EMERGENCY. The definition of an emergency is tight, and only covers 80% of the cost. They define it something like this; suppose you fall and break an arm, and you go to the hospital; they take x-ray and confirm the break, but they schedule you for the next day for the surgery and send you home. When you return the next day, the health plan I have NO LONGER considers that an emergency, so you pay 100%. Crazy, so make sure you understand coverage very well. Many too do NOT offer COVID protection.

My Argentine husband and I are about to move there, but to Entre Rios. I'm wondering about health insurance for the few months of the year we plan to come back to the states. We would mostly want just catastrophic insurance in that case, curious what you all have done about this and what the costs are? We would likely be coming back mostly to Chicago area. We're in our 40s. Thanks so much!

I used a company called BUPA when I first came to Argentina because I didn’t think I could get Argentine health insurance until I was a resident (turns out this is not correct) but the agent told me the majority of their business is Argentines moving to the US who need health insurance temporarily until they get a job and get it through their employer. I think they basically sell temporary coverage on the CIGNA network. I never had to use the insurance, but the agent was helpful and knowledgeable.

Thank you, cafeamericano. I'll check that out.

I guess the larger question is for those of you who have health insurance in Argentina from Argentina, do any plans cover you while traveling back to the states? (I'm wondering if I'm worrying about something that I won't even need;)

Back