Traveling to BA with dietary restrictions

Mamabear

Registered
I will be traveling to BA next week with my son for medical treatment. He will undergo treatment for at least 17 days. I just learned that I will not be able to batch cook meals/snacks and bring them with us with a drs note through Customs. The food is all plant based without any fresh produce or meat so I had assumed incorrectly that it would be okay. He cannot eat gluten, meat, any dairy product, eggs, or meat. This forces me to bring ingredients and a USA Vitamix and to hunt down ingredients locally. I will need to buy a 3000 watt transformer for the 110 v USA Vitamix and wondering if that is available locally. If I buy online here in US for about $100 USD they weigh about 15 lbs so not very portable. Has anyone ever heard of Customs making a medical exception with home cooked food with a Drs note?.

transformers are quite available. as is organic produce.

Is a Vitamix just a kitchen blender? If it is, buy one here, we use a nice locally manufactured Peabody blender with a glass jug. Peabody also have hand blenders or a 3 in one hand blender, chopper and whisker. You can find most of what you need in Fravega, or even the bigger Coto stores. For organic produce, even delivered to your door if you like, check the posts by members @gracielle and @jantango. Most health food stores (“dietéticas”) have gluten free foods like almond flour and so on. If you have time to settle in and prepare it won’t be a problem.

Argentina is probably the most gluten-free friendly country in the world. Gluten free items are called "Sin TACC" and clearly marked. Most supermarkets have a section for vegan and gluten-free items, and in Buenos Aires and large cities you can find stores and restaurants dedicated only for gluten free/vegan foods.

Usual blenders are common item as described above, but if you do need the power of Vitamix, you can buy a professional grade one cheaper than Vitamix.

Last edited:
need a dni to purchase on mercadolibre
You can open MercadoLibre account with a CDI which is a simpler id given for non-resident foreigners

Explained well by @steveinbsas and @Quilombo last October https://baexpats.org/threads/can-extranjeros-open-a-mercado-pago-account.45110/page-3#post-424219

Back