Traveling with Parents

legilber

Registered
My parents are coming for Christmas through New Years, and after a long 15 hour flight, I'm not wanting to be traveling a whole lot around the country. My idea was to take them to either Iguazu or Cordoba for christmas. What is everyones opinion?? They love wine, relaxing, and trying new foods.

Which one would be better for them?

Never been to Cordoba, but think it would be better than Iguazu, Iguazu will be very hot, touristy & just a one thing to see, more culture in Cordoba?

if you go for iguazu wait for the middle of the trip and if possible book an early early morning flight in and a late night flight out.

Its a one day maximum trip for sure, especially in the summer.

I´d recomend northwestern argentina. Beautiful country, new foods, and not as hot as buenos aires.

Keep in mind that during this time the entire country will be filled with portenos escaping the city;.

Normally, during (european) christmas holidays, it is almost impossible to get last minute flights.

I would recommend Iguazu if they can stand the heat. If not, Cordoba and Salta will be too hot too. Maybe Bariloche will be a better option then.

Or if you don't like to travel a lot, why not go to a nice estancia in the provincia, with a nice pool, good food and wine?

Iguazu is far more interesting and relaxing if you stay at the Sheraton International. You'll be right there at the falls in a resort setting. Go to a cheaper place or somewhere away from the falls and the experience won't be anywhere near the same. It WILL be hot and humid -- so if that bothers you, don't go there! Cordoba: I don't recommend it. Even in the hills it can be quite hot. The place is not very interesting anyway. If they're coming from the US or Europe they won't be impressed. If you can afford it, go to the Llao Llao Hotel in Bariloche. You should have a fabulous experience in a spectacular setting. If it's too expensive, avoid downtown which is pretty commercial and dreary, You'd better decide soon as it is already late for plans.

legilber said:
They love wine, relaxing, and trying new foods.

Which one would be better for them?

Cordoba would be better than Iguazu -- but Cordoba province, not city -- go to Villa General Belgrano, Calamuchita etc -- rent a car and travel around a bit.

However for food and wine I'd say go to either Mendoza (same thing, you could rent a car and travel around a bit, though the city is nice itself) or Bariloche -- really good food there (wild boar, trucha etc) and the temperatures in Mendoza and Bariloche will be much more pleasant.

Go to Iguazu if you want to be a sweaty mess for a few days. There is not much to do there other than the falls, and it will be HOT -- around 40degrees celsius and humidity like you wouldn't believe.

Bariloche in the summer is great, and Mendoza is always nice to visit.

Oh sidenote -- on Christmas pretty much everything is closed, if not EVERYTHING. especially in smaller towns -- so your best bet for Christmas Day regardless of where you are is to rent a car for the day -- when I was in Bariloche a few years ago for Christmas I got a car and did the lakes drive up to San Martin de los Andes, beautiful drive. Usually at least some restaurants will open in the evening. Wherever you go, make a reservation for dinner for Noche Buena (Christmas Eve) ASAP because in the small towns not sure what will be open -- you may just end up eating in a hotel restaurant.

Go to La Cumbrecita in Cordoba Province. It's pedestrian-only during the day, and the setting is spectacular! We stayed for four days and could have stayed another week. There's a wonderful restaurant right at the top of the hill with amazing views. Excellent wine list and inventive food. There are many great hikes in the area. It's the most peaceful place I've found in the country. There are many options of beautiful places to stay.
Definitely skip Cordoba. It's a dirtier city than BA and not interesting at all. Carlos Paz-overrated. I also didn't love Villa General Belgrano.
Iguaza is impressive, but it will likely be painfully hot and humid.
Mendoza and Bariloche are also great options if they love wine, the outdoors, etc.

definitely good information. So, what would you guys think of flying to mendoza and renting a car to travel around the area? It's one of my favorite places in argentina.

Back