Travellers to be quarantined on arrival

As I said, simply BANNING all flights from the affected countries and people who have been in them would be easier.

I'm pretty sure the majority of passengers arriving to EZE from the United States are actually Argentine citizens.
You cannot ban Argentine citizens from returning home.

It's not clear to me when the new law begins. The law is not exclusive to foreigners, is it? My understanding is that EVERYONE arriving from Europe and the US goes into solitary confinement for two weeks.

I'm pretty sure the majority of passengers arriving to EZE from the United States are actually Argentine citizens.
You cannot ban Argentine citizens from returning home.

Even if Argentine citizens can´t be banned from returning home, if there aren´t enough of them, many, if not most of the flights could be cancelled.

Depending on how the virus spreads in the next few weeks, international flights could beome few and far between.

Hopefully, the opposite will be the case.

PS: In 2008 I flew non-stop from Chicago to EZE on a plane that was about 25% full. Soon after that, the airline droped the route.

Last edited:
Health Alert: U. S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina (March 11, 2020)

Event: The government of Argentina announced upcoming enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Argentine Ministry of Health (in Spanish) for additional information on these new measures.

• Public statements by Argentine government officials noted a 14-day self-isolation quarantine for anyone, regardless of nationality, arriving in Argentina who has visited a country with sustained transmission, including the United States, all European countries, China, Japan, South Korea, and Iran. Health screening measures are in place at the Buenos Aires International Airport and the Argentine authorities may quarantine individual travelers, including passengers transiting the International Airport, if the Argentine authorities determine the traveler to be a health risk. Failure to comply with the quarantine measure may be a criminal offense. A presidential decree with more details on self-isolation and travel restrictions is pending. Please refer to the Argentine Ministry of Health website for further details.
  • Assistance:
    · U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Av. Colombia 4300
    (C1425GMN) Buenos Aires
    Argentina
    (54-11) 5777-4533
    (54-11) 5777-4354 (after hours)
    [email protected]
    https://ar.usembassy.gov/
    · State Department – Consular Affairs
    888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
    · Argentina Country Information
    · Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
    · Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
If you click on the first link the latest statement "recommends" a quarantine. It does not demand one. So what are they really going to do?

Even if Argentine citizens can´t be banned from returning home, if there aren´t enough of them, many, if not most of the flights could be cancelled.

Depending on how the virus spreads in the next few weeks, international flights could beome few and far between.

Hopefully, the opposite will be the case.

PS: In 2008 I flew non-stop from Chicago to EZE on a plane that was about 25% full. Soon after that, the airline droped the route.

If words get out that there really IS a two week quarantine, will many people be willing to return and subject themselves to it? Certainly all tourism and business will come to a halt.

Que por dicho motivo y de carácter extraordinario, este organismo considera necesario suspender transitoriamente
la tramitación de solicitudes de admisión como “residente temporario” de los extranjeros que se encuentren en el
exterior y sean nacionales y/o provenientes de la REPÚBLICA POPULAR CHINA, COREA DEL SUR, la
REPÚBLICA ISLÁMICA DE IRÁN, JAPÓN, los ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMÉRICA, el REINO UNIDO DE GRAN
BRETAÑA E IRLANDA DEL NORTE, los Estados de la ÚNION EUROPEA y los países que conforman el espacio
Schengen, en las subcategorías establecidas por el artículo 23 de la Ley N° 25.871 y sus modificatorias con los
siguientes alcances: trabajador migrante, rentista, pensionado, inversionista, científicos y personal especializado,
deportistas, artistas, religiosos de cultos reconocidos oficialmente, académicos y estudiantes.
Que, por los mismos motivos, este organismo considera necesario también suspender transitoriamente la
tramitación de solicitudes de admisión como “residente transitorio” de los extranjeros que se encuentren en el
exterior y sean nacionales y/o provenientes de los países mencionados, en la subcategoría de “académicos”,
establecida por el artículo 24 de la Ley N° 25.871 y sus modificatorias.

Ok guys, I am reading the DNU and it's clearly written that you just need to be a citizen/national of those countries -- e.g. US, EU, UK -- and will not be allowed to enter regardless of where you may have traveled. No quarantine, that's for Argentine citizens -- Americans/Europeans won't be let in if they are entering as a tourist or have temporary residence. I am trying to cancel my trip to Brazil now. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Then does this mean that PERMANENT RESIDENTS with DNI stating Permanent Resident will NOT be subject to the quarantine? And Argentine citizens who have been abroad WILL NOT be required to undergo a quarantine?

Then does this mean that PERMANENT RESIDENTS with DNI stating Permanent Resident will NOT be subject to the quarantine? And Argentine citizens who have been abroad WILL NOT be required to undergo a quarantine?
they will be if they have traveled to the affected countries....that s separate issue.

Que por dicho motivo y de carácter extraordinario, este organismo considera necesario suspender transitoriamente
la tramitación de solicitudes de admisión como “residente temporario” de los extranjeros que se encuentren en el
exterior y sean nacionales y/o provenientes de la REPÚBLICA POPULAR CHINA, COREA DEL SUR, la
REPÚBLICA ISLÁMICA DE IRÁN, JAPÓN, los ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMÉRICA, el REINO UNIDO DE GRAN
BRETAÑA E IRLANDA DEL NORTE, los Estados de la ÚNION EUROPEA y los países que conforman el espacio
Schengen, en las subcategorías establecidas por el artículo 23 de la Ley N° 25.871 y sus modificatorias con los
siguientes alcances: trabajador migrante, rentista, pensionado, inversionista, científicos y personal especializado,
deportistas, artistas, religiosos de cultos reconocidos oficialmente, académicos y estudiantes.
Que, por los mismos motivos, este organismo considera necesario también suspender transitoriamente la
tramitación de solicitudes de admisión como “residente transitorio” de los extranjeros que se encuentren en el
exterior y sean nacionales y/o provenientes de los países mencionados, en la subcategoría de “académicos”,
establecida por el artículo 24 de la Ley N° 25.871 y sus modificatorias.

Ok guys, I am reading the DNU and it's clearly written that you just need to be a citizen/national of those countries -- e.g. US, EU, UK -- and will not be allowed to enter regardless of where you may have traveled. No quarantine, that's for Argentine citizens -- Americans/Europeans won't be let in if they are entering as a tourist or have temporary residence. I am trying to cancel my trip to Brazil now. Am I missing something?

Processing of applications for Temporary Residence..! No mention of tourist visas or entry of Residents and citizens.

Processing of applications for Temporary Residence..! No mention of tourist visas or entry of Residents and citizens.

It says "admisión" it also applies to those that are abroad. So the logic that it applies only to processing applications makes no sense because you cannot apply for those from abroad, you need to be inside the country.

Back