Trouble Ahead?

Philsword said:
Charts like this is why people are concerned about the immediate economic future of Argentina, despite what the government and their shills say.

http://www.economist.com/node/18895150

Interesting read.. Inflation is insane here in Argentina at the moment. Some things have doubled in price. I am seeing freinds start to live on credit just buy food and that is really scarey.

Watching the banks enslave the poor with credit because they have no other option is pathedic. Then again watching the poor trying to live like the rich with credit is equally pathedic... Oppsss here we again.

tomdesigns said:
Interesting read.. Inflation is insane here in Argentina at the moment. Some things have doubled in price. I am seeing freinds start to live on credit just buy food and that is really scarey.

Watching the banks enslave the poor with credit because they have no other option is pathedic. Then again watching the poor trying to live like the rich with credit is equally pathedic... Oppsss here we again.

What kind of items are doubling in price?

bmagda said:
What kind of items are doubling in price?

Here are some of the things I am now paying at lesat twice as much as three years ago. Some of these items have actually tripled in price in the past five years:

Coffee, butter, cheese, roast beef (x3), pork chops, cooking oil, afajores (x3), premium beer (x3), refried beans in cans, canned fruit (notably fruit cocktail), mac and cheese (Argentine brand), TP, ready to bake pizza, facturas, roasted peanuts, almost everything in restaurants and cafes...

Apartment fees - aka consorcio espensesa, ABL taxes in"better" zonas like Recloeta (x3 in one year), resident visa fees (x 3 in one year), 90 day visa overstay fee (x6) in one year, income requirement for the visa rentista (X 3 in one year) taxi fares (hardly ever paid more than eight pesos per ride in 2006), NFL on DirecTV (x 5 in five years).

I'm sure other members can add to this list...and I hope they will.

I agree with Steve, and have mostly noticed food and drink items (purchased at a grocery store, restaurants are another category altogether) have tripled since I arrived 5 years ago. All the things he mentioned, cereals, eggs (the campo eggs I buy have jumped from 8 to 12 pesos just in the last six months), tomato products, soy milk and regular milk, chicken, wine, water, etc. Some things more than tripled (for example, a small bottle of tabasco sauce when I arrived was $15-18 pesos, now it tops out around $65).

I think apartments (furnished rentals, etc.) have not doubled, but probably climbed closer to 40-50% of what they were valued at 3-5 years ago.

MizzMarr said:
...the campo eggs I buy have jumped from 8 to 12 pesos just in the last six months...

Is this for six or 12 eggs?..size?..color? Six very fresh eggs (XL/brown) in the small tiendas here are $3.50. My neighbors sell 30 eggs for 15 pesos. These eggs are definitley from the campo.

MizzMarr said:
I think apartments (furnished rentals, etc.) have not doubled, but probably climbed closer to 40-50% of what they were valued at 3-5 years ago.

Five years ago (the only time I rented) I paid $600 per month for a beautifully furnished (new building w/Ariston washer/dryer) two bedroom, two bath apartment w/patio, balcony and weekly maid service on Blvd Charcas at Guise. I only had the use of one bedroom (the owner used one for storage). I would be very surprised if the monthly rate was less than $900 per month now.

steveinbsas said:
Is this for six or 12 eggs?..size?..color? Six very fresh eggs (XL/brown) in the small tiendas here are $3.50. My neighbors sell 30 eggs for 15 pesos. These eggs are definitley from the campo.

Five years ago (the only time I rented) I paid $600 per month for a beautifully furnished (new w/Ariston washer/dryer) two bedroom, two bath apartment w/patio, balcony and weekly maid service on Blvd Charcas at Guise. I only had the use of one bedroom (the owner used one for storage). I would be very surprised if the monthly rate was less than $900 per month now.

Well, the price is for a dozen brown eggs. they're regular size? I buy them from a couple different granjas and verdulerias in Caballito and the price is the same. Prices in greater BA and outside of BA are going to be different. I do see a dozen white eggs going in the chinos for around $8 pesos where 30 eggs at my favorite granja cost $11. But I prefer campo eggs (the difference in yolk color is night and day).

I looked up a listing for a 1br furnished apartment that I rented towards the beginning of my time here in 2006 and the apartment rented for $600. Now it's listed on the website (ByT Argentina) for $880. It was not a fancy place.

Philsword said:
people are concerned about the immediate economic future of Argentina, despite what the government and their shills say.

Did you know you could change the date of your post for any date back to at least 1960 and that part of your post would still be current?

I don't know what everyone is complaining about - I went to the chino ''super''market down the road tonight and they have (made here) licensed Bols Genever (52% alcohol) for less than 20 pesos a bottle - the quality is the same as in Europe but its about 9 times cheaper. I can guarantee you this - if you even *manage* to drink half a bottle of this in a night you won't be in the slightest bit worried about inflation or anything else :) Basically you can afford to be permanently drunk for about 100 pesos a week :) Works for me... :)

steveinbsas said:

Five years ago (the only time I rented) I paid $600 per month for a beautifully furnished (new building w/Ariston washer/dryer) two bedroom, two bath apartment w/patio, balcony and weekly maid service on Blvd Charcas at Guise. I only had the use of one bedroom (the owner used one for storage). I would be very surprised if the monthly rate was less than $900 per month now.

Living there now in a furnished rental before we leave...we have use of 2 bedrooms but same otherwise..1800USD per month.

Back