Trouble in San Telmo

the posters on this forum are scarier than anything i've encountered in san telmo.

i live there. i checked these forums out before i moved there and even with all of the paranoia and warnings that the sky would fall i chose to settle in San Telmo. My wife and I love it. She feels comfortable in the neighborhood. Stay aware, mind your business and don't go creeping around in abandoned buildings and you'll be fine. it's a big city and things happen all over.

San Telmo is lovely. In the daytime, there are few streets you will feel nervous about. At night, personally I prefer the corridor btw Peru and Balcarce, between Caseros and Mexico, mainly bc these remain relatively busy with people, busses, cabs.

Key thing for me is staying as far away from 9 de Julio as possible and Paseo Colon itself at certain points/ hours.

Anyone who says otherwise probably has not spent significant amounts of time there once they knew the city well. The far side of Hollywood (Dorrego) esp near Santa Fe and the bridge there is to me a million times sketchier than the area I described above.

I think the Plaza Dorrego area is okay, too. But that's about as close as I want to get to 9 de Julio. I too prefer north of Independencia.

San Telmo has no particular issues but is surrounded by some other areas that aren´t nice at all. To the east (to the river), you have Paseo Colon Avenue that at night is deserted. To the south you have La boca. However, some of the nicest places are to the south. If you avoid Parque Lezama and you don t cross Av. Martin Garcia, then its ok.
To the east, once you are in Bernardo de Irigoyen (9 de Julio) is ugly again. This is specially true close to Av. San Juan because you are close to Constitucion that is very dangerous, specially at night.

So, as soon as you understand this, there shouldn t be issues.

The closer you are to Bernardo de Irigoyen, it is less safe. The best area is around Belgrano and Balcarse. Regards

San Telmo is great. Now that there are more lights on at night it feels much safer. It has gentrified a lot in the past 10 years (especially the last 5).

I have only ever heard bad things about a couple of blocks near Mexico & Chacabuco. Several people have been mugged by tweakers on 'paco' in some of the sqauts on Mexico. I just avoid that street for the most part.

San Telmo's borders are:

Chile to the north. (Further north is Monserrat).

Chacabuco to the west. (Piedras and Tacuari are either Constitucion or Monserrat, depending on where you are.)

Azopardo to the east. (Or is it Huergo?)

Caseros to the south.

SO, Krakow bar is not in San Telmo. Mash the restaurant is not in San Telmo. Neither is Brasserie Petanque. Avenida Belgrano and Calle Mexico are not technically in San Telmo. I could go on with all the places and streets people think are in San Telmo but actually are not.

Craigslist and all the rental agencies will tell you that you are in San Telmo (or San Telmo Brooklyn or some stupid name like that, lol), even when you are not. That way they can charge more. As I always say, it is a very tiny barrio and its borders are not obvious.

Sincerely,

Someone who loves San Telmo and Almagro, hates Palermo and finds Belgrano pretty but boring. (To each his own.) THE WHOLE CITY IS DANGEROUS. Might as well live in a neighborhood you enjoy.

I rented a flat in San Telmo from 1990 - 1993, and never had a problem. Locals (still speaking Italian in the bakery) were very pleasant, and I was always walking about at night... obviously that is a long time ago.... it was Estados Unidos # Chacabuco. Lots of great restaurants and bars within walking distance.

uI lived in San Telmo for 5 weeks back in the winter of 2007 and I wasn't going to come back after I flew out in late spring. But fortunately I moved to Recoleta in early September and my final ~10-11 weeks were spent in a neighborhood that wasn't a dirty ####hole.

There are times that I go to San Telmo and think- "Wow, this isn't the worst place in the city to live." Of course my old roommate was mugged with two other girls at knife point in San Telmo, but it was their fault. They were talking to each other while waiting for a bus. They might as have been flashing their boobs. I mean, if you are waiting for a bus late at night, you're just asking for someone to rob you.

As long as you aren't living more than 3 or 4 blocks from Plaza Dorrego, you probably won't get mugged in front of your place. I never did and after living in a 3rd World hostel on Dorrego near Independencia, I moved to the first blog south of the highway where I had to pass a large group of homeless people sleeping under the bridge every night. It was AWESOME!!

San Telmo has some lovely buildings. I was walking through there 2 weeks ago snapping away at images with my camera. I give tours, so I have to go there and (even worse) La Boca several times a week, but that being said, I was walking through San Telmo during the day 2 to 3 weeks ago and was amazed at the buildings on Chacabuco & Piedras. There really are some sweet buildings. But it's proximity to Constitución & La Boca just makes it such an unsafe place.

Most probably, nothing will happen to you. But when you're in your lovely old building, just ignore the trash on the streets, the dog poop on the sidewalks, the annoying kids hanging out in the squatters' building on your block, and the lack of legitimate police presence.

Back