Trouble using international credit cards

CarverFan

Registered
Today I was unable to pay with a non-Argentine credit card at Coto supermarket online. It seems all foreign cards are barred.
The Discovirtual website is down right now and am wondering if this is so they can make changes to their site along the same lines.

Anyone had trouble using international credit cards lately?

I use foreign cards here from time to time, and I haven't had any recent problems.

I have occasionally had charges declined here. The most common cause is that the issuer has a security block on the card because I'm out of the country. I keep customer service numbers on my cell so I can call and yell at them when that happens (and I also make them reimburse the international call). This can usually be resolved while you're with the merchant.

Other times the authorization links time out before the foreign issuer can approve the transaction. With domestic transactions, some charges can be approved even if the issuer doesn't respond, but this is not the case with charges to foreign cards, for which explicit approval is required before the charge is authorized. I always ask the merchant to try 2 or 3 times before I call customer service abroad.

jimdepalermo is giving good advice, I recently had to do the same with a Visa card. Suggest you call you bank.

PS. what does CarverFan mean ?

I'm having problems using my international debit and credit card with Mercadopago. I used to be able to use it but the last few times it was rejected. I called the bank several times and they said it was approved from their end. Mercadopago doesn't seem to be able to solve the issue, although I've never had a problem using an international credit card at Coto in person. I've never tried purchasing online from them. Maybe it's all Argentinean websites that don't accept international credit cards.

That's one thing I never had a problem with, using American debit or credit cards in Argentina. They always went through, whether or not I'd contacted the bank beforehand. Of course, the last time I used one there was in mid-January, so lord knows what could have changed since then.

CarverFan said:
Today I was unable to pay with a non-Argentine credit card at Coto supermarket online. It seems all foreign cards are barred.
The Discovirtual website is down right now and am wondering if this is so they can make changes to their site along the same lines.

Anyone had trouble using international credit cards lately?

Just used mine on Tuesday at Carrefour with no issues. That was in person though. I have to imagine that it is an issue with your specific card, not foreign cards in general. That being said, are you giving a DNI number at checkout or trying to do it with a passport number?

I used my Master CC yesterday (March, 15) without problems.

citygirl said:
Just used mine on Tuesday at Carrefour with no issues. are you giving a DNI number at checkout or trying to do it with a passport number?

Citygirl makes a good point. For security, online transactions are usually verified with part of an address and a phone number. If your card issuer knows your foreign address and phone number but your Coto account uses your local details, I would expect it to be rejected.

Back