Trying To Be A Legal Taxpaying Citizen

NoVegetables

Registered
Hey guys,

What exactly is a CUIT and or CUIL and how do i go about getting one? I tried going to the AFIP website, but every time i clickit says that the site is under maintenance. Its been like this for some time now.

Here is my situation: I want to be a legal freelance programmer. I have a DNI and permanent residency. My investigation tells me that i need to be registered as a monotributo which is "pretty easy to do". I just have no idea where to start. So any information you guys can provide as how to accomplish this would be appreciated. My plan is to just walk into the AFIP office and hope that someone there will have the patience to explain things to me, but my experience with Argentine bureaucracy tells me to get as much information up front before you go in, because they are not usually very helpful.

Here is what i know:
I think i need a CUIT and or CUIL, which i would get from AFIP, but not entirely sure how that process works.
After i have those two things I need to go to AFIP and tell them i want to be a monotributo. Not sure how that process works.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

How much do you make. There is maximum amount for monotributista and from what I know of freelance programmers salaries you might well be over it.

If you are strongly determined to become a "monotributista", just go and register yourself with an appropriate AFIP branch. Here is the link.
CUIL is more about retirement like Social Security number. When you work for yourself, you are supposed to have CUIT, not CUIL.
And by the way, CUIL card can be printed/downloaded as pdf from the ANSES website.

After i have those two things I need to go to AFIP and tell them i want to be a monotributo.

This is the same thing. When you register as a monotributista, they give you a CUIT number. It is just an ID in their system.

I have CUIL on the back of my DNI extranjero.

I haven't looked into what you're asking but I was on a remote workers meetup recently and taxes was one of the topics of presentations.

The speakers (Accountants) walked us through the typical remote worker tax arrangement: monotributista - and it's various tiers (up to 400 000 taxable income/year).

If you're over that threshold you'd need to become a Responsable Inscripto and in their simulation, you'd be paying over 50% on the 400 001 income in taxes/ss VS if you're a monotributista and paying about 5% taxes/ss.

[EDIT]

Just checked and AFIP updated their thresholds: http://www.afip.gob.ar/monotributo/categorias.asp, there are new tiers but for a programmer providing a service it seems like you'll still be stuck at the 400000 tier.

1- Go to http://www.anses.gob.ar/ and get your CUIL number and card
2- Register as monotributista ( you will have to choose health insurance and the right category according to how much you make monthly )

Note: The best thing to do is pay an accountant to enable you as monotributista, get them to explain to you how to properly invoice your clients, get to know if you are entitled to any refunds ( if you have children ), get to know what happens if you exceed the amounts. Learn how to pay less for a private medical insurance as a monotributista. get to know if you also have to pay ingresos brutos. Hiring an accountant to get you started is cheap, shouldn't be more than 1000 pesos and then you just worry about paying monotributo tax monthly.

Back