Trying to find cellular service +54 for SMS bank codes in Argentina and US

JulietG

Registered
Joined
Sep 27, 2026
Messages
3
Likes
0
I am dual nationality US/Argentina and I live in Texas. Next month I'm headed down to Rio Gallegos to open up a bank account associated with my family's business and I'm going to need a cellphone with +54 prefix. Argentine banks will not accept US +1 numbers.
I was wondering if there is a cellular company (like Claro, Movistar, Personal) that has plans that would allow me to use their phones for SMS in the US without suspending service if I don't come back to their local network in Argentina after 60 days. How do you keep your +54 number overseas for long periods of time? Thanks
 
I am dual nationality US/Argentina and I live in Texas. Next month I'm headed down to Rio Gallegos to open up a bank account associated with my family's business and I'm going to need a cellphone with +54 prefix. Argentine banks will not accept US +1 numbers.
I was wondering if there is a cellular company (like Claro, Movistar, Personal) that has plans that would allow me to use their phones for SMS in the US without suspending service if I don't come back to their local network in Argentina after 60 days. How do you keep your +54 number overseas for long periods of time? Thanks
Do Claro, Movistar, Personal et al deactivate your number if you are out of Argentina for 60 days or more? Doing some cursory Google searching on Personal (the one I have) I see they have a limit of 60 days for roaming, but does that mean you can't continue to use your number via Wi-Fi calling or simply maintain your account/number?
 
Do Claro, Movistar, Personal et al deactivate your number if you are out of Argentina for 60 days or more? Doing some cursory Google searching on Personal (the one I have) I see they have a limit of 60 days for roaming, but does that mean you can't continue to use your number via Wi-Fi calling or simply maintain your account/number?
The research I've done states that the cellular companies terminate your account if you do not contact one of the towers in their network within Argentina in 60 days. It might be a governmental thing. I've been trying to contact customer service for these companies but have been having bad luck, they are not answering my question and instead are trying to sign me up for a new contract.
 
I was wondering if there is a cellular company (like Claro, Movistar, Personal) that has plans that would allow me to use their phones for SMS in the US without suspending service if I don't come back to their local network in Argentina after 60 days.
It is 2026. Wi-Fi Calling (also called VoWiFi) is standard now. Probably all Argentine mobile plans, including prepaid plans, support it.

Make sure it works before leaving Argentina. You should be able to receive SMS while connected to Wi-Fi only. An easy way to test this is to put your phone in Airplane Mode. Then turn Wi-Fi back on and have someone send you an SMS.

I don't think any local cell phone company will suspend your service if you're on a paid plan. And even on prepaid, you should be fine if you add money to your balance, say, every three months.
 
Back
Top