trying to open a bank account, help!!!

Well I had one woman at one HSBC branch take my CUIT + passport + utility bill. But then I never got my debit card. And when I went back to ask why, she said she didn't know what happened and would get back to me (and never did). The second branch I spoke to the bank manager who told me I need a residencia.

Kirst said:
Guys, has anyone moved out to BA from Europe (specifically UK or France) & tried to open a bank account to transfer money to?

I have money in UK savings account but just can't get it here as the UK currency brokers won't trade pesos. I was told by very helpful people in Santander today that money has to come into this country by law in pesos & that I can't open a dollar account.

I really don't want to be taking it out on my credit card each time at 3% charge!:)

ANY advice at all most grateful for!!!

Kirst​

Why do you want to open an account here, just use the ATM card for your account back in the U.K. Even if you are able to open an account you will find it very difficult if not impossible to wire money in from the U.K, not to mention the cost.

gouchobob said:
Why do you want to open an account here, just use the ATM card for your account back in the U.K. Even if you are able to open an account you will find it very difficult if not impossible to wire money in from the U.K, not to mention the cost.

What costs are you referring to? Please indulge us...

Thanks for the update french jurist, I did not know that legislation indeed changed.

It is pretty difficult to figure out such stuff since employees in banks, etc. are not much help.
For example I was told I can not get an usb-stick + chip for mobile internet with personal without a DNI. Then I saw that the line on the employee's form actually said "DNI / LC / [...] / Pasaporte", pointed at Pasaporte and suddenly he changed his mind. After almost a week of waiting, the line got activated too (in Austria the same thing took half an hour instead of days, but what counts is the result, isn't it?)
Different story but the bottom line is the same: They just don't know much on some topics and obviously better do nothing instead of risking to do something wrong. So the more info you have, the better you can talk to them.

On the topic of the costs: Most banks (at least in Austria) charge hefty transaction fees when transfering money to foreign countries. Even within the Euro-zone (where both sides use the same currency) it was quite bad until a law was passed to force equal treatment of transactions within the country and within the euro-zone. You might be better off looking which bank has the best conditions for foreign transactions to Argentina in your home country and make an account with them solely for the purpose of transfering to Argentina (depending on how much difference there is from one bank to another).

By the way, if one has a bank account in Argentina, which bank exchanges your home currency to pesos? The bank in your home country who sends the money or the bank in argentina who receives it? Not relevant to me because I neither have nor want a bank account here, but I always wanted to know the answer to that question.

Back