Tucuman.......Having a Blast!

tangocherie said:
My husband is a Tucumano and has never returned to the land of his birth. So we finally were able to go last week for 6 days. I'm sorry to say it was hell. They were burning the sugarcane fields as they do regularly and I couldn't breathe for the ash in the air. On top of that it hasn't rained there for several months and dust was everywhere. Even the flowers were covered with ashes and dust. The whole city of San Miguel was grey. We couldn't do any of the things we had planned, except for a difficult journey on the colectivo/lechero to Santa Ana where Ruben was born--just as ashy and dusty. We were very disappointed to mostly just stay in our hotel room the whole time.

If you enjoy breathing clean fresh air, I don't recommend going there. I never will again, unfortunately.

Yep, I have heard that is going on and the fact they havent had rain perhaps its not the ideal time to go. I am sorry you had a crappy trip.

But I think whats happening now will pass, it generally gets a fair bit of rain and I am sure it will rain soon. I have spent about 3 months there in total and it is a nice part of Argentina. Would highly recommend it.

I was either black out drunk for a week or just not as picky as the princess......perhaps both. But I dont recall any of these conditions!!!!!!!!!

tangocherie said:
My husband is a Tucumano and has never returned to the land of his birth. So we finally were able to go last week for 6 days. I'm sorry to say it was hell. They were burning the sugarcane fields as they do regularly and I couldn't breathe for the ash in the air. On top of that it hasn't rained there for several months and dust was everywhere. Even the flowers were covered with ashes and dust. The whole city of San Miguel was grey. We couldn't do any of the things we had planned, except for a difficult journey on the colectivo/lechero to Santa Ana where Ruben was born--just as ashy and dusty. We were very disappointed to mostly just stay in our hotel room the whole time.

If you enjoy breathing clean fresh air, I don't recommend going there. I never will again, unfortunately.

Back