Two factor SMS Codes

yes. they can mail it to u here. you have to keep paying for usb for life time till u use the magic jack.
i don't think that's true. international coverage is clearly noted as one of the benefits of joining.

it does say however that phones designed for Fi will intelligently change between networks wherever you are, better than other phones not necessarily designed for it. so perhaps using an iphone with it is hit or miss, that simple. maybe newer iphones work better?

Newer Iphone? Google Phone? I couldn't figure out which would work best.

the pixels and moto g6 and g7 are the only ones designed for Fi from the start. so they are likely to work the most seamless.

the Fi compatibility page says that iphone 5S, 6, SE or newer are still in beta. in fact, it says this as far as texts are concerned:

"
Setting up texts to non-iPhones
While iMessages will work right away, you'll need to update your iPhone's MMS settings to send and receive texts with non-iPhones.
We'll walk you through this when you set up your phone, and you may have to update these settings 1-2 times a year if they're reset through an iOS update.
"

so if i had to guess, this is probably why you have a problem receiving the text messages...

the pixels and moto g6 and g7 are the only ones designed for Fi from the start. so they are likely to work the most seamless.

the Fi compatibility page says that iphone 5S, 6, SE or newer are still in beta. in fact, it says this as far as texts are concerned:

"
Setting up texts to non-iPhones
While iMessages will work right away, you'll need to update your iPhone's MMS settings to send and receive texts with non-iPhones.
We'll walk you through this when you set up your phone, and you may have to update these settings 1-2 times a year if they're reset through an iOS update.
"

so if i had to guess, this is probably why you have a problem receiving the text messages...

My old Iphone is likely causing my problems. But it did let me set it up and then it worked for a few days before stopped for some reason.

Google's website shows two current models Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a. We can guess that they are the best suited for Fi. The unlocked 3a is $400 plus a case. I can have one brought from the US next week.

Or I could try Magic Jack. There's been enthusiasm for it on this thread and its much cheaper.

I can't get sms but my US banks call me up through my US Vonage line, which I'll keep until something better comes up.

Anything new regarding getting US SMS codes in Argentina?
Is Google Fi still sending US SMS codes here?

This is a security feature, after all.

Check out your carrier information, for example here. What does it say in "Is Wireless" field?
Some banks simply do not send verification codes to numbers that are listed as virtual.

Last edited:
What I use is numberbarn.com. You can either "park" your US number there so you don't lose it when you move here, or you can buy a new US number. You can receive SMS messages to that same number, and numberbarn instantly forwards that to the email account of your choice. It works flawlessly. You can also use their interface to call and your own US line will appear in the caller ID of the recipient so it's great when dealing with your US bank or credit card because they know it's you.

still works fine for me as i mentioned previously.

something to look into - does BoA allow you to set up use of an authenticator app? If so, all you would need to do is install the app on your phone to generate the code then use that, instead of needing to receive texts for verification.

still works fine for me as i mentioned previously.

something to look into - does BoA allow you to set up use of an authenticator app? If so, all you would need to do is install the app on your phone to generate the code then use that, instead of needing to receive texts for verification.

Schwab just let me install the Symantec VIP app. That should mean no more SMS codes, plus better security.

Update: Schwab no longer sends SMS codes. I bought a Google Pixel 3A phone for $400. So far its connected to cellular systems seemlessly as I travel. Plus it takes amazing photos.

Back