Two year contracts - question

MizzMarr

Registered
Hi everybody. I am living in an apartment with a 2yr contract in caballito. We rented an unfurnished apt. via an inmobiliaria who did charge their commission and all the standard hoopla applied. What I'd like to know is: when our lease expires, can we go month-to-month or do we need to sign another 2-year lease?

My instinct is that it's the latter, but I'm not 100% sure and am hesitant to ask the realtors directly (we get constant runaround from them). I'd appreciate any information from someone with experience in this! Thanks in advance!

The second scenario is the one that will most likely happen, and you will be asked to pay again the RE agent commission, etc

Second scenario is correct, but quite often, if everything went fine with the LL, you don't need the RE agent to do again the paperwork (and pay the commission), you just need to sign a new contract with the new dates and so on...

Ok, thanks guys! I would hate to have to pay these realtors again; unfortunately the LL has been completely absent from our dealings. Will have to rethink our situation (or moving to a dueno rented place) when the time comes. I don't imagine short-term unfurnished places are too common.

Thanks again, and cheers!

Is a bad idea to try to cheat the Realtor. The best strategy is to have them happy and they will do everything easier for you, otherwise they will tell the owner you are not trustable, etc. On the other hand, if you have a good relationships with one Realtor he can offer other apartment in future and this is priceless. A 2 years contract without a garantía is difficult to find, even for Argentinians.
When the contract is finishing you should negotiate in advance. You can offer a temporary contract if you are not going to stay the 2 years. However, the penalty for finishing the contract earlier is that you lose the deposit. And you can´t finish a 2 years contract before the 6th month. However, contracts may have different ways to approach this. Regards

I don't think the OP is trying to "cheat" the realtor - it is a bit ridiculous to pay a full commission if the OP is simply signing another lease for the same apt - there is no work involved for the realtor. Certainly some commission is warranted but the full amount when no work is involved seems a bit excessive.

I might recommend talking to the realtor and seeing if they can offer you a reduced commission if you renew the lease. You have nothing to lose by asking. But I certainly would imagine that the owner will want you to sign another 2 year lease. Month-to-month will probably be more expensive as there is risk to the owner that you will leave after a few short months and then s/he will have to look for tenants, run the risk of it sitting empty, etc.

If you pay the Realtor again you are crazy. For what service? They did their job and got paid. Anything beyond that is simply their own greed. But....be aware that when your lease is up the landlord will most likely try to double the rent.

I forgot about this post for awhile, but realized that there were some additional responses. All very good and important to try to keep in mind. Thanks, all.

Try to get in touch with owners try to avoid realtors there was a time I was advertising on craigslist for a company selling properties and everytime I had someone interested in a property they used to say ..tell them is 10.000 dollars more, it is not serious not at all, there are some good realtors but I personally don`t like them.
regards
REina

Back