Typhoid on lettuce?

julesmoz

Registered
Hi, there!

My husband and I will be arriving in BA in early June, and we had one question: is it safe to eat fresh (raw) produce out there? The big thing we were wondering about is if there's any danger of typhoid from eating it.

Julia

julesmoz said:
Hi, there!

My husband and I will be arriving in BA in early June, and we had one question: is it safe to eat fresh (raw) produce out there? The big thing we were wondering about is if there's any danger of typhoid from eating it.

Julia

NO!!! eat nothing, Boil your water, watch out for the giant mosquitos and if you escape all these you will be robbed in your sleep or eaten by rabid dogs.

Hi Julia. You will be fine. If you're buying the produce make sure you wash it before eating. No special precautions here that you wouldnt have to take somewhere else. :eek: Welcome to the forum.

I don't eat in restaurants often, but when I do I usually order a salad. I've never been sick as a result.

I eat salad every day, there is very good quality and inexpensive lettuce here to make great salads with. Keep in mind, the variety of salads available in most restaurants is somewhat limited. Buy lettuce and make your own salads if you want good variety. Here's my personal translation guide to lettuce (and a few other favorite salad items of mine) in Buenos Aires:
Romaine lettuce - Lechuga Criolla
Boston lettuce - Lechuga Mantecosa
Red leaf lettuce - Lechuga Morada
Green leaf or Curly lettuce - Lechuga Francesa
Chicory - Radicheta
Arugula - Rucula
Radicchio - Radicchio
Frissé - Escarola Fina
Basil - Albahaca
Spinach - Espinaca
Swiss Chard - Acelga
Fennel - Hinojo
Celery - Apio
Scallions - Cebolla Verdeo

Awesome! Thanks so much for your reassuring advice. Looks like I'll be eating my salads, then ; )

Have a good one,
Julia

Besides, typhoid isn't the issue, is it?

Don't bad veggies have salmonella, as opposed to typhoid?

Bring a bottle of GSE if you have doubts (to use when you are "cooking" at home...fresh veggies included).

steveinbsas said:
Besides, typhoid isn't the issue, is it?

Don't bad veggies have salmonella, as opposed to typhoid?

Bring a bottle of GSE if you have doubts (to use when you are "cooking" at home...fresh veggies included).

Typhoid is a type of Salmonella. It is the kind that is transmitted from person to person & not animal to person. So this you would get if restaurant/food handlers don't wash their hands.

Everything you ever wanted to know & more:
Typhoid Fever

Oh my god, we're all going to die...

sooner or later...

of "somfthin"

(quoting former Surgeon General Elders)

Wow, whatabummer.

Think I'll have another beer...

Thanks, mini!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Expat Life 1
C Expat Life 9