Typical Buenos Aires BS - Grocery Delivery

I'm an old fashioned 'arms' kinda guy. Might switch to delivery for liquids shortly though, but that's just me being lazy.

TheBlackHand said:
Of course i'm right. I've never had a problem getting food delivered in all the years i've been here. But sometimes shit happens. Was there really a need to make a thread about it just to bitch because of a late food delivery. Seriously ? Did you cry a little inside when 3 hours went by and your order wasn't there ?

No, first I masturbated to a picture of a blackhand and then I cried.

TheBlackHand said:
Of course i'm right. I've never had a problem getting food delivered in all the years i've been here. But sometimes shit happens. Was there really a need to make a thread about it just to bitch because of a late food delivery. Seriously ? Did you cry a little inside when 3 hours went by and your order wasn't there ?

Anyway, you missed the point. That the groceries were late was not the issue. The fact that all the groceries would NEVER have arrived had I not called was the issue. Also, the point that it was 100% their mistake and yet their first reaction was to blame me was the icing on the cake. Anyway, deep down I believe it was just another example of xenophobia on behalf of poor uneducated portenos who dislike "rich" gringo foreigners.

We've been here seven years and never had a problem with groceries being delivered other than the odd bag of milk leaking (twice per week from Coto). In fact, they are usually here early and are typically very professional.

I can't say the same about the staff in the store. That's hit or miss.

never had a problem with groceries being delivered (actually home delivery, from chinos to restaurants, some 24/7, is one of the very few things why I still like B.A.)

Tried Coto digital and did notice some prices were different but the service was great - though I'd like to know about your experience.

So LostinB.A. I guess you just suffered a glitch, but I also believe this thread isn't about your groceries. It's about the frustration of not being able to count on anything or anyone down here, not even (particularly) major companies, and having to actually resort to a personal bond of eternal friendship with every plumber, retailer, realtor, whathhaveyou, in order to actually expect things to go right.

Matt84 said:
... It's about the frustration of not being able to count on anything or anyone down here, not even (particularly) major companies, and having to actually resort to a personal bond of eternal friendship with every plumber, retailer, realtor, whathhaveyou, in order to actually expect things to go right.

Oh, yea, the plumber. He came to fix out water heater and had to borrow my tools because he didn't have his own. He was absolutely amazed that I had a real pipe wrench set, in different sizes, and wasn't afraid to use them. :D

Lost in BA, I'm so sorry you've had that problem. There are a LOT of frustrations here and they can get to you. I've been in Palermo in the Bullness/Santa Fe area for over two years and have never had a problem with a grocery delivery. Carrefour has delivered for me, and Disco, and I get frequent deliveries from an organic store. I don't think it's ever taken longer than a couple of hours. They have had the forethought aways to set the frozen things aside for me and asked me to take them with me so I guess, reading your post, that's always a good idea. I'm thinking it's just the stores in your area. Or else mine is exceptionally good.

I have had one problem with delivery from a super market in the 6 years I have been here. It was very similar to what LostinBA reported. It did eventually get righted (more or less), although it took me a couple of days before I actually saw my groceries, and even then, some of what I'd ordered wasn't correct - slightly different sizes, that sort of thing. Obviously the original order was lost and they had to make it up from my ticket and didn't do a great job of that.

I agree, that sort of thing happens, pretty much anywhere in the world.

The problem is, the lack of customer service and the flippant or downright grumpy/rude manner in which one usually is treated makes matters worse and tends to blend in a poor manner with all the other experiences.

I understand LostinBA's desire to espouse frustration a bit with something like this.

As far as plumbers go - what frustration! At least I've never had to loan out my tools, but I've never actually gotten anything fixed properly either. Our apartment has old fixtures in everything but the master bathroom and they leak. I've called plumbers out three times to fix them. Each time they leave with the leaks seemingly repaired, then a couple of weeks later they start up again. The last time I sat and talked with the plumber while he worked and saw that he was only going to oil what was left of the o-rings. When I asked him why he didn't replace them he told me he couldn't find them to fit what we had. I don't know if he was lazy and didn't want to look, or if there were some bizarre sizes before, that now don't match up with current sizes. Either way, I told him to put the one fixture he was working on back together and take off. I'll have to replace the fixtures in my leased apartment to get the leaks to stop, no point in paying more to put oil on the o-rings.

And car repairs - if someone has a good auto shop to recommend it would be great. I've taken my car in three times to three different shops. It has a problem in the left front steering, it being loose and wobbly, what seems to be a problem with a motor mount. Every time, I leave the shop feeling like they've fixed it and a week or two later the problem returns.

Frustrations abound here...

GS_Dirtboy said:
Oh, yea, the plumber. He came to fix out water heater and had to borrow my tools because he didn't have his own. He was absolutely amazed that I had a real pipe wrench set, in different sizes, and wasn't afraid to use them. :D

Did he give you a discount?

Does Carrefour have an online ordering service? Am I missing something? Pls link if so as I couldn't find it on their site. Cheers!

Back