U.S. Car Rental Insurance

Gringo80

Registered
I have no U.S. insurance except Medicare. My wife has no insurance. We both drive rental cars.

When we rent a car in the US what coverage should I take in order to be well covered?

I have no U.S. insurance except Medicare. My wife has no insurance. We both drive rental cars.

When we rent a car in the US what coverage should I take in order to be well covered?
If you're renting with a US credit card, check for coverage through that. I would recommend comprehensive coverage.

If you're renting with a US credit card, check for coverage through that. I would recommend comprehensive coverage.

Credit card coverage is very light. I even have a premium policy with American Express but it has no liability coverage and medical for us only goes up to 15k as a secondary coverage (I have Medicare as primary but my wife doesnt).

Is comprehensive available for car rentals?

you can get non owned vehicle insurance policies, i have one with geico.

the credit card insurances are OK but i found that there are gaps in both coverage and even the types of vehicles they will cover you driving (eg pickup trucks aren't covered under my card insurance).

for about 60 bucks a month i have good comprehensive, personal injury, and uninsured motorist coverage.

the credit card insurances are OK but i found that there are gaps in both coverage and even the types of vehicles they will cover you driving (eg pickup trucks aren't covered under my card insurance).

for about 60 bucks a month i have good comprehensive, personal injury, and uninsured motorist coverage.

That sounds like what I'm looking for but we only need it for maybe 30-40 days a year. That'd be 720/40 or $18/day which is cheaper than buying coverages from the car rental companies.

I researched this in the past. Some States do not allow non-owner automobile policies. My insurance company USAA said MA would not allow. It was easier to buy a car and store it with family, though not cheaper. The other option you have is to be added as an official driver on a family members policy, then the form you can request is valid confirmation of coverage to show rental companies. That does put your family at insurance risk, and increases their yearly cost by u$d100 or so.

Back