U.S..Citizens - why did you move to Buenos Aires?

Buenos Aires is not Argentina, and Argentina is not all about Buenos Aires - ergo - GWB is not representative of ALL United States of American citizens, we just happen to come the same country. DonQ, I love your response, but you should have tried the outskirts of BsAs (the city). Charming, kind and good hearted people if Argentina do live in the rural areas, them I love!

Oh boy, Stan the Expat is back with more words of wisdom. So , because we are pointing out things happening in America that don't seem exactly kosher that makes us negative stone throwers that hate America, right? I think people like me and many others that are trying to wake up the drugged out masses - drugged out on the OVER CONSUMPTION of the superficial, non essential pseudo "information" that seems to be EVERYWHERE you look now a days. They don't have a clue about why they shouldn't buy a house with "no money down" but know dozens of "facts" about Paris Hilton's ever so interesting life..... all this as the bank takes their newly bought homes away. You just don't get it Stan, people like Bill Maher, Michael Moore, Amy Goodman (Democracy Now), Cindy Sheehan, Ron Paul, Barack Obama (to some degree), Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam vocalist and BIG TIME Bush/Cheeny hater) and many others - list goes on and on. Just like Paul Revere's "Midnight Ride" of 1775 to warn that The British were coming these above mentioned patriots are trying to warn us that "The Bastards are taking Over" (and ruining our country for good). Truth be told they already have, I believe it's too late, especially with the massive amount of zombies that populate all 50 states.

If you think I'm wrong Stan, explain to me why the USA has to have 700 to 800 permanent military bases in 156 countries around the globe (and, who pays for all that bullsh*t?) BTW, There are about 195 countries in the world total at this time). I suggest you read "The Secret History of the American Empire" By John Perkins who knows what he speaks of since he WAS one of the "Bad Guys" involved in helping the US Government in it's world dominance program. And WORLD DOMINANCE is the plan my friend. Instead of me rambling on and on better go to this website and read/review the sad facts - http://www.globalpolicy.org/empire/intervention/2007/0701worldwide.htm
What's this all about Stan? You don't need a Weather Man to tell you which way the winds blowing, just use your common sense - it's simple and it usually leads you to the truth. But you know what? WE ALL KNOW, we're just too effing scared to say it out loud.....

As for those standing in lines at the US Embassies in, I assume, the poorer, less desirable places in South America...... well, yeah, sure.... when you've spent years in Hell Purgatory doesn't sound too bad, so sure, I would take it in that situation but PURGATORY is still purgatory and AMERICA is still America and they both sound pretty undesirable to me at this time (and the future just looks A LOT worse. Bleak predictions Stan, what can I say - the writing is on the wall...) Be sure to pick up John Perkins books (Amazon, Paperback, good Airplane reading). Time to get "Real with yourself" Stan, I know it's painful but it's the best way I know of - THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE, Dudester

BTW, There's plenty of other countries to live in besides ARGENTINA and the USA... France for one.....

Stan's point was valid. Dudester you did not address the fact that the US still is one of the best places on the planet to earn a living. Like you, Perkins (in his book) did not offer any real solutions, he just complains while living off his fortune in his Florida mansion. If you are so bitter with the developed world then give all your money away and try to make ends meet on a local Argentina salary.

Well Dudester first we had one guy telling us the virtues of Lyndon Larounche and now you about this guy John Perkins. I did a quick check and found the following in Wikipedia.The U.S. State Department has posted a criticism of Confessions, and of Perkins himself, on its "Identifying Misinformation" site [1],
calling his allegations "a total fabrication" and pointing out the
"recent initiative to cancel the debt of many heavily indebted poor
countries."
Perkins' response is that the NSA is extremely secretive, that in
fact we know very little about what it really does, and that this has
been confirmed recently by disclosures that it spies on U.S. citizens
-- an activity that has nothing to do with its stated mission.
Columnist Sebastian Mallaby of the Washington Post reacted sharply to Perkins' book[1]: "...a vainglorious peddler of nonsense, and yet his book, Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, is a runaway bestseller." Mallaby, who spent 13 years writing for the London Economist and wrote a critically well-received biography of World Bank chief James Wolfensohn[2], holds that Perkins' conception of international finance is "largely a dream" and that his "basic contentions are flat wrong."[1] For instance Mallaby points out that Indonesia reduced its infant mortality and illiteracy rates by two-thirds after economists persuaded its leaders to borrow money in 1970.Sounds to me like this guy is just another crackpot trying to make a fast buck. Do you have any credible sources to support your fantasies?By the way the lines can be found at any embassy including in Argentina. I'm sure your expertise on South America exceeds mine, but you never actually been here right?As far as Europe goes I'm not sure what your point is, but I've lived there as well. You mention France which traditionally has a high level of unemployment. If you have been watching the news the in last year or two there have been riots there largely due to the lack of opportunity, and Sarkozy was elected with hope he could reform the economy and reduce the power of the various labor unions. Basically the French people have had a enough and are tired of the sub-par performance of their economy. Actually I think they want to move to an economic model that is closer to the U.S., that must really piss you off. You need to quit getting your ideas from quacks and cranks and start thinking on your own.

"Stanexpat" said:
All you have to do is go by any U.S. embassy in South American and see the lines of people trying to get a visa for the states. Perhaps you could go to the people in those lines and convince them that the U.S. is on it's last legs.
It's not on its last legs but the country has definitely seen better days. For an indication of the way the wind is blowing today:
"The big difference now is the number of people in suburbs who are feeling it," Brisson told the Detroit Free Press for a story Sunday. "Poverty in (Detroit) has been bad for a long time, but poverty in the suburbs is going up in Livingston, Oakland and Macomb counties."

Mike Remenar lives in the affluent Detroit suburb of Grosse Pointe Woods and said he never thought he would find himself using food stamps to feed his family.

The 60-year-old auto parts designer said he has been unable to find suitable work since losing his job 10 months ago.

"In the past 10 years, I've been laid off a number of times, but never this long," he said. "Especially living in this community, to be in this position is a bit awkward."

Another sign of the times in the NYT:
Four years ago, she bought her first condo in a glassy new Miami tower when the building was filling up. Now nearly one in six residents in the 43-story building is battling foreclosure and their contributions to the building association are shrinking. Each of the remaining owners has had to chip in an extra $1,000 assessment and $50 more a month for cable and Internet. That is on top of Ms. Sanz’s $450 monthly maintenance fee.
Even though she pays more, her building has broken washers and dryers and unusable exercise equipment, and her hallway is spotted with mold.
Bear in mind that this isn't some cyclical phenomenon but reflects deep-seated structural problems with the US economy. Let's see how it plays out.

Bigbadwolf, in your last two posts you mention problems in the Detroit area which has been in decline for a least 30 years due to the weak auto industry. Your other post was about some poor soul who probably thought they were going to make big bucks in Florida real estate but are now getting an education that real estate doesn’t always go up.

You may be correct that the U.S. is in long term decline. My take is that the country has been living well beyond its means for decades. Big governmental and trade deficits which couldn’t be sustained forever and now it’s time to pay the piper. Short term this will probably mean that the standard of living in the U.S. will likely fall. People will have to downsize from their big SUVs and will have difficulty in getting loans for houses unless they have a good income and sizeable down payment. People will have to learn to live within their means, which is a concept that has been completely lost in recent years.

This is going to take some time to work through the economy. The strength of U.S. economy in the past has been its resilience. My guess is that the economy will come out of this on better footing than before but that the process will certainly be painful, more so than most people believe today.

Will the U.S. continue its economic dominance that it has enjoyed since WWII? Probably, but not to the degree it has enjoyed in the past. We are seeing the rise of other countries notably India, China, and Brazil.

The big star today is China but I wonder how far they can go with the government they have (a police state). Usually this type of government doesn’t mix well will free enterprise although it’s hard to see signs of this today.

Even with all these problems the U.S. for the average person is still a far better place than most countries around the world. Just look at the mess in Argentina today. The government seems to determined to compete with Zimbabwe as the worst managed country in the world. Only the government here could turn record high commodity prices which should be greatly benefiting the country and the people into a crisis. If this were anyplace else the mental stability of the current leadership would be major topic of debate.

"Stanexpat" said:
Even with all these problems the U.S. for the average person is still a far better place than most countries around the world. Just look at the mess in Argentina today.
I agree, with some reservations. American statesmen have managed to do to the world's biggest economy what the Kirchners have been doing in Argentina. The problem with the USA is political and not economic: an entrenched overclass that's determined -- for its own short-term ends -- to run the economy into the ground and is obdurately resistant to the kind of change needed to rejuvenate the nation. The decline of the US in the last three decades (and particularly the last eight years) need not have been so precipitous.

Dearest Stan, don't have much time today because the news has just come over that ANGELINA JOLIE is expecting twins (so like all good American Pop Culture Zombie's we're gonna have a party for Brad and Angelina.... ummm, we don't exactly KNOW them personally but they do feel like family so it's CHAMPAGNE FOR ALL !!!)

Quick Answer to your Questions:

Stan: "But you never actually been here (South America), right?"

Dudester: No, only about 5 or 6 times. The only countries I haven't visited in SA are the 3 little ones East of Venezuela, Colombia, and Bolivia. All other countries have been multi visits, especially Brazil, Peru, and Argentina, Venezuela and Paraguay were one time visits only.

Stan: "FRANCE, Sarkozy, High Unemployment, What is my point (on Europe)?"

Dudester: Here is my point. It depends how you rate quality of life (which in the end is PROBABLY the most important thing in life next to good health, good friends, and having success - IOW's, achieving your goals - personal, financial, etc)

QUALITY OF LIFE IN PARIS (if you recall I have a small Apartment there) -

I can walk the streets of my neighborhood late at night with zero fear (and have MANY times). No Guns, No Gangs, No crazy MFer's looking to kill for no reason.....

I can sit at an outdoor cafe for many hours, day or night, without having a homeless person ask me for spare change or take some food (roll , bread, etc) off my table

Public Transportation is THE BEST!! Between using the great Paris METRO, Clean/Safe Buses, Taxis, and Feet I can get from one end of Paris to another and don't need (or own) a car

French people are super friendly and polite (but you have to know about the magic of using "Bon Jour", politeness, calmness, and a smile/eye contact everywhere you go). Most Americans have no concept of how polite the French are in public so they don't do it and don't "get it" (what else is new - God forbid one learn's about a country's ways before one visits.... why bother, we all know the American way is the "Correct" way in ALL THINGS, IN ALL PLACES)

I don't have to wake up to news of "Another School Shooting" when in France. They don't use Metal Detectors at their schools, kids ACTUALLY learn something (much better educated than American Kids, Education?!?!?! hell man, we have a WORLD TO OCCUPY, DESTROY, AND CONQUER !!!)

WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION (WHO) rates France's Health Care System at #1 year after year (America's is around #36 or 37 in quality but #1 in cost). My French Dr. spends time with me, talks with me, doesn't behave like a McDonald's DRIVE THRU - much more civilized and prescription drugs are AT LEAST 50 % cheaper than America's, maybe 70%, and just as good - how can that be??? (BTW, did know it is ILLEGAL to bring in Prescription drugs from other countries - that includes ARGENTINA, FRANCE, OR CANADA - if they are available in the USA? Wow, when did the US Drug Companies start running America and making the laws?? Before or After Wal Mart did???)

The place is CIVILIZED, even little green trucks come by and suck up the little bit of dog excrement left on the sidewalks, all the benches, public parks, and gardens are very well taken care of. The air is pretty clean, no BEJING haze all day long...

PARIS is amazing, the most BEAUTIFUL city in the world (along with VENICE, Italy)

With all that said, no place is PERFECT, just different degrees of what makes you happy or unhappy, what is important or unimportant to you. (I can go on and on but my Champagne is gonna go flat - like the Stock Market-lol)

Oh, one last quote from Stan man -

Stan: "You need to quit getting your ideas from quacks and cranks and start thinking on your own" - OUCH, another Stan low blow..... You talkin' about John Perkins my dear Stan? Well, he just wrote a couple books, he's far from being my guru but I'll tell you one thing. I have a friend who's dad was in the NSA for decades and is now retired, full of demons from the past, and quite aware to what evil stuff the USA is up to these days. He's read Perkin's 2 most popular books and said "the man has it right" (how the US Government F's with World Governments). Good enough for me. I know what this guy used to do, his nightmare's must be SUPER NASTY, glad I don't have to deal with those demons of his but , you know, that Karma man, it's lethal stuff, it'll get ya...... So however bad you think it might be, it's worse than that, keep that in mind.

Let's Drink to the Brad and Angelina twins Stan, CHEERS !!!! Dudester

Back