U.S..Citizens - why did you move to Buenos Aires?

While it is true that the United States is such a huge and diverse country that one can find just about any sort of lifestyle and cost of living one desires, but wouldn't this also be true for a country as large as Argentina? Large, cosmopolitan cities are usually far more expensive for everything than smaller cities, and especially smaller towns. Doesn't it depend on what a person wants from life, in combination, of course, with what one can afford?

My own example above, the cost of living in the Georgetown area of Washington, DC, can be compared both with other parts of the city, as well as nearby states. A flat like ours in Northeast DC would cost half what it does here; a flat like ours in small Virginia town might be a third of what we pay. A movie ticket cost nearly $15 at the theater complex in Georgetown; it costs half that in Sterling, Virginia.

This morning, a news report from the Democratic primary in Pennsylvania came from a town so depressed that 50% of the downtown store fronts are boarded up, even the bank is for sale; but the average cost of a house is $45,000. That wouldn't buy you a garage for your car in DC. But if you want cheap housing and cheap living, the States are filled with such places. I bet Argentina is too. Maybe part of the reason for the huge price differential is due to demand. If this little backwater places were popular then they would no longer be little backwater places.

The point is, in a country as large and diverse as the USA, anything can be found. It depends of what you want in combination with what you can afford.

Personally, I would go stark raving bonkers living in some bucolic, even picturesque, little West Virginia or Ohio hamlet.

You get what you pay for.

Sergio,While I agree with 99.9% of your posts, I disagree with you about your comments regarding healthcare in the U.S. I was always covered, luckily, though my job there so I really don't know the specifics other than to say costs are exhorbitant there for healthcare and premiums quite high. Now I don't know who this other American is thats paying $300 a month here in Argentina for healthcare but something does not add up. I have full coverage including dental with a good private company here and although costs do go up every year, I am still paying less than $100 a month.As much as I complain about things here as some of you know.....despite all the crap, it is easier here on a day to day basis to deal with the petty stuff and live a comfortable life than it is in a comparable sized place in the U.S.Both countries have issues so you just trade some problems there for different problems here. Its the same anywhere I suppose.

"HDM" said:
This morning, a news report from the Democratic primary in Pennsylvania came from a town so depressed that 50% of the downtown store fronts are boarded up, even the bank is for sale; but the average cost of a house is $45,000. That wouldn't buy you a garage for your car in DC. But if you want cheap housing and cheap living, the States are filled with such places. I bet Argentina is too. Maybe part of the reason for the huge price differential is due to demand. If this little backwater places were popular then they would no longer be little backwater places.

Personally, I would go stark raving bonkers living in some bucolic, even picturesque, little West Virginia or Ohio hamlet.

You get what you pay for.
Indeed, you get what you pay for. Typically, property prices are low in rural and depressed areas. The 7-figure price tags associated with property in parts of the Bay Area, Manhattan, and Boston exist because that's where the well-paying jobs are and/or these cities are cultural hubs. Who would want to live in Redneckville, Arkansas?
My feeling is the exodus of Americans is going to grow from a trickle into a steady stream (if not a torrent) over the next few years. The town in Pennsylvania you refer to may be an extreme case but signs of depressed economic activity are ubiquitous -- including my neck of the woods.

The problem with living in the USA is the majority of the people are just plain ignorant about politics, government, personal financial issues/responsibilities , and other VERY important things. In Paris, they have almost weekly street protests when the French Government tries to pull a fast one on the very aware public. In America, they just keep watching "American Idol" saying they "can't do anything about the Government" YES YOU CAN !!!

STEP ONE: You don't vote in a mentally impotent, totally retarded frat boy clown like GWB for President. Now, the country's in very big financial trouble... well, you reap what you sow.... want to stay effing stupid about politics and vote in a guy "you can have a beer with?" Well, you got him, he'd LOVE to have a beer with you and shoot the sh*t but he's an ALCOHOLIC !!! The next time (if America makes it to "next time") it'd be great to elect someone who can "Run the Country"... someone with a functioning brain - forget the fricken BEER !!! So, as pretty as the mountains may be, as cheap as the houses may be - I can't live in a state (West Virginia) or a country (USA) full of people with minds just full of dark empty spaces and stupidity. Sorry to say but I can't even discuss politics with 8 out of 10 Americans I know. It's a lost cause, this country is going to do some major SUFFERING before it get's a CLUE. In the mean time, we don't have endless years so you gotta do whatever it takes to make you happy and somewhat comfortable..... That means leave, be a life long Expat... (Will the last one to leave the US please turn off the light?) Thanks ........

Well, Dudester you sound like a jerk to me. You describe yourself as a resident of L.A. sometimes Paris, and a travel photographer. My bet is that you live at home off of mommy and daddy. They paid to send you to Paris so they could get you out of their hair for a few months. You call yourself a travel photographer, wanabe is probably closer to the truth, if you had a real job you wouldn't have time to write so many stupid posts.I find you and other people who think it's trendy or cheeky to knock their home country particularly objectionable. In my experience there are basically three kinds of people, those that lead, those that follow, and those that do nothing except complain about everybody else. I think we know which group you fit into.

Stan I could give a rats a** about what you think.... Yeah , I'm living off my parents which is an amazing trick since they've both been dead for decades. You must really hate your life and work since you seem to be so concerned with mine (no need for all that extreme jealousy my friend, my life/job all sounds much better than the reality - which is nothing but a TON of work with bits of satisfaction, fun, and sense of achievement thrown in once in a while).

You also seem to be one of those head-in-the-sand, in denial robots I talk so much about who can't face the fact that the American Empire is crumbling and is ready to collapse - don't think it's "Trendy" to talk about it what-so-ever, think it's the saddest thing in the world (and it's makes me very angry that the clowns who run the place don't give a damn - and many other clowns don't notice the major decline going on - that's how a ZERO slime ball like John McCain can be at 50% in the 2008 Presidential race - till it's too late to do anything)

You have me laughing Stan, I'm much too confident to have some nowhere man rattle me. A goofy guy that's so lacking in achievement that he's disturbed by what I do with my own little life. So you come on and give me some simple minded, cliched lecture (you forgot to write "get a life"-lol) when you don't even have a clue to who I am at all. It's so amusing and says so much about you and your own insecurities and life choices.

As far as work goes what do you do that doesn't give you a minute of free time to comment on a web site - sweep up Football Stadiums after a game or something? Maybe you should have planned your life out a bit better amigo and done something INTERESTING instead of shadowing other people and getting involved in strangers lives. Oh, and I do Lead Stan, I Lead me, myself, and I - it's called discipline, taking chances, and having some courage, check it out sometime. All the best, Dudester (A.K.A. The Jerk - lol. BTW, thanks for taking the time to read all my posts, I'm flattered)

Hey pal you better slow-down, you are practically foaming at the mouth in your last post.Please go somewhere else and spare us from your simple minded prattle.

Dudester and Stanexpat, Actually I am really enjoying reading theses posts, We are all entitled to different opinions so please keep on posting! by the way what do you as a travel photographer actually do and who pays you? Do you have a job opening:)?

By the way, I do love the US and moved here(BA) to try something new while they sort things out back in the US:)

Martin, You may be paying $100 a month for healthcare but you are probably in your 20's or 30's. Do you have Argentine friends over 50 who are enrolled in one of the leading "prepagos"? MEDICUS, OMINT and some of the others? If so, ask them what they pay - or better yet go to one of the leading providers and ask youself. My retirted expat friend is paying nearly $300. That is a fact. Prices for people 65+ are not the same as those for young people. His fees are going to increase. Someone told me of a woman in her 90's who is paying $1,500 pesos a month. My point was that in the US there would be no need to pay for private health insurance if you are 65 or over since Medicare pays 80% and an inexperience insurance policy will pay the rest. Dudster....As for Europeans and their political astuteness...Take a look at who the Italians have just put in office. And what about Sarkozy? The right may like him but the French left think he is just a puppet to Grorge Bush. Life outside BA: Yes, it is usually cheaper but not nearly as interesting and without the sophisticated infrastructure. Life outside the big cities of the US: There are many very nice towns in places like southwestern Ohio that are an hour or less from Cincinnati, a reasonably large, historic city with a lot of charm and a rich cultural life. Towns/cities in West Virginia are not all that far from Washington DC and you might be surprised at the impressive architecture, history, museums and other cultural offerings in these places. As for prices, no matter WHERE you live in Argentina, all electronics will be expensive, all cars will be expensive, furniture, clothes are other items will be expensive. That is not the case in the US. That's why I questioned that Argentina is such a good deal from the perspective of retirement. Compared to San Francisco and New York and some other metropolitan areas, housing costs are low here but the comparison does not apply to everyone. Most Americans do not live in these high cost, high income areas.

Back