U.S..Citizens - why did you move to Buenos Aires?

"Dudester" said:
QUALITY OF LIFE IN PARIS (if you recall I have a small Apartment there) -
It's becoming more difficult to become an American expat almost by the day. In the NYT:
Although the concept of fractional ownership has been slow to catch on in Europe, real estate experts say that Americans looking to buy abroad are increasingly exploring group properties, in response to economic uncertainty and the all-time-low exchange rates of the dollar.
“The dwindling dollar means people saving up their pennies to buy property in Paris have less to spend,” said Ms. Leeds, who is planning her own move into fractionals....With their buying power diminishing by the week, they searched for quality furniture.

Dudester, your last post finally convinced me of the merits of your thinking, Thanks

I agree with Duedster regarding the virtues of Paris but it is a simple reality that property, especially in the best areas, is out of sight. By contrast, there are still affordable properties for sale in small towns in the south of France. Aside from property, however, prices of most other things in BA are climbing so rapidly that they are coming close to Paris prices. Italy is cheaper. A few months ago I spent about the same in nice restaurants in Rome that I am now spending in BA.

Wow - great forum! I haven't been on the site for a while so I may be a bit late in responding here, but here I go.. I moved here close to a year ago with my 4 year old child and absolutely love it. It is my second time here and my daughter's dad, who is an Argentine is the initial motivation of my travels here. But from my first visit I wanted to stay. I love this country. When I first came the currency was 1:1, so saving money was not what drew me in. The culture, the values, the people and the beauty is what called and continues to call to me. My ex and I both agree raising our child here is our preference. He is still in SF in the states due to work - but our goal is to stay put. I am job hunting and if all goes well we'll be here indefinitely. Sure the dollar to the peso this time around has made living here much more affordable - but it is not a cheap city by any means- I pay more for clothes for my child here than I ever did in the states (that includes living in the bay area) and toys - it seems all that has to do with children is more expensive here for some reason. And until I find a job we are renting a temporary apt. - not in the usual tourist neighborhoods as I prefer to be immersed in the community (living just outside SF for years has put me off to wanting to live directly in any tourist areas again!). So the temp. apts. are pretty expensive - not compared to SF certainly - but quite high compared to long term rentals here. I came having virtually no spanish - only from secondary school a long time ago - and now I am fairly fluent, thanks to months of private lessons in pakua from my maestro who only speaks spanish. As for taxistas - all but one bad experience in almost a year - I have always had awesome taxi drivers. They're always friendly, very helpful and yes, round down to avoid moneda - and are always so appreciative for a peso or two tip - and frequently end the drive with 'suertes!' I've had taxistas give me numbers for job contacts, their numbers if I needed help in general. As great as the public transportation is here I feel a little guilty wasting money and adding to the pollution in using taxis (however I am frequently late) - but I"ve had some really great conversations and I consider it more time refining my language skills. As for attitudes toward me as a north american - I've been treated warmly by pretty much everyone I've met - again though, I do not live in a tourist area. The first time that I actually have heard english being spoken on the streets was recently when a friend was visiting from Holland and we were in Palermo - checking out the tourist areas. Otherwise I never hear it being spoken I am glad to say. It all helps to stay focused on where I am and learning and refining my language skills in spanish. In the end, money is always only one factor - but overall there is so much this country has to offer that I feel so fortunate to be able to call it home now.

Suejud, specifically what is it you like about Argentina?

Unfortunately right now I don't have a lot of time, but in short what I love the most is the people - in pretty much all of my experiences they are warm and kind and seem to always be thinking of ways to help each other out when they can. People stop to look each other in the eyes and converse. People make time for each other regularly. Relationships in general seem to take a high priority here and that is very important to me. In reality it has always been and is more so now with a child. I worked for years for Hosteling Intern'l helping to run 2 different hostels - one in the eastern sierra and the other in Sausalito in the Marin Headlands - both were rural and certainly alternative living for the states; I found even in this field how easy it is for people to be swept up by the 'american machine' - demaciado attention on work and little left over for friends and family. Although I have fond memories of growing up in the northeast with our extended families not far away - I still feel here people are more social and relaxed. That's another biggie - it's far more tranquil here - even in Bs As, than my experiences in the states. I came here virtually speaking no spanish and have met many new friends who have all been so patient and helpful with the language - I have a hard time imagining the same in the states - and know first-hand from my argentine partner of 12 years, just how intolerant people can be in the states with folks who don't speak english as their first language - and that includes SF (although less there certainly than other areas.) I also love not having to have a car here - that is a huge benefit and savings for sure. Since my first time here, people just seem more sane and tranquil and think of each other more than themselves first. People struggle here economically, but don't seem to get lost in that as their sole motivation for living. That's a smattering for now - I could go on, but see my wordiness is taking a big hit here!

Suejud, I am glad that you are so happy with BA and I hope that in a year or two or more you feel the same way. I have not personally found people here tranquil and sane, quite the contrary. I find them tense and aggressive and highly neurotic. This is reflected in all the psychoanalysis here. Just yesterday I was in a village on the coast of Argentina. A Porteno honked his horn at me as I crossed the street in the morning. There were no other cars and absolutely no reason to be so aggressive. He got out of his car and I told him the same. No apology, just another aggressive comment.

"sergio" said:
Suejud, I am glad that you are so happy with BA and I hope that in a year or two or more you feel the same way.  I have not personally found people here tranquil and sane, quite the contrary.  I find them tense and aggressive and highly neurotic.  This is reflected in all the psychoanalysis here.  Just yesterday I was in a village on the coast of Argentina.  A Porteno honked his horn at me as I crossed the street in the morning.  There were no other cars and absolutely no reason to be so aggressive.  He got out of his car and I told him the same.  No apology, just another aggressive comment. 

there are crazy people everywhere.

Quoting "sergio": . . . . I find . . . [people in Buenos Aires] tense and aggressive and highly neurotic. . . ."
But, compared to many people in areas from which we come, they are fairly calm and decent.

Thanks Sergio - I hope so too. However, I must say I find it mildly amusing the way Argentines lay on their horns here in Bs As when stuck in traffic - making a frustrating situation more tense with nothing to be gained! I'm sure I'd feel differently if I experienced what you did - but yeah I agree, there are rude and impatient people everywhere and my experience in the states, lots of aggressive, extremely stressed people - and others who are not certainly. But overall for me, it feels far more tranquil here.

Back