U.S..Citizens - why did you move to Buenos Aires?

It's all relative and subjective. If you are acustomed to life in large metro areas of the U.S., then life would seem fairly laid-back and the people congenial. If you are from 'small town America', then not so much. Truth is, it is nobody's right to 'burst someone's bubble'. If you're floatin on a cloud wearing rose colored glasses, then that is your right.
Personally I have never felt so stressed and inundated by pollution, traffic, getting harrassed in the streets, 'raped' at the counter, disrespected in a cab, kept up at night with lights/sirens/street noise. I guess I am more accustomed to being lulled to sleep by frogs and crickets. I guess what I miss most about life in the states, or at least what I remember of it, is basic human dignity and honesty. Maybe I am only noticing the negative attributes here, but so far they are far out wieghting the positives. I moved here nearly eight months back to be with my Argenting girlfriend (get to know the language/ culture/ her family). I'm truly trying to get along with this city, but I'm afraid it is coming inbetween her and I. It's like a quote from a John Denver song.
"There's just something about the city, that he said he couldn't breathe...
"There's just something in the mountains, that he said he'd never leave"

Perspective goes a long way in making choices for sure. No doubt small town environs anywhere can easily far outweigh the hassles of a big city. Normally this is by far my position - anyone who knows me cannot believe I want to live here in Bs As - a big, huge city. I lived in the eastern sierra for 5 years and another few in the rockies and most recently in Bloomington, IN - a lovely, very green university town - the landscape now is quite different and far nosier certainly; but nonetheless this city has its hold on me. Another big draw for me is how well children are treated here and how they are considered - kids are encouraged to be kids here. Having kids in the states today, in my opinion is pretty stressful - the entry level req'mts. at a kindergarten level- the waitlists getting into schools (in the bay area) (not to mention the absurd costs of schools). Eventually I'd like to settle in the mountains in a small town in the south - but for now, BsAs is a good fit. Suertes with your relationship and adjusting to life here in Bs As.

After reading Suejuds post I ask myself about raising children here in Capital Federal, can it really be good for a child with all the pollution and crazy drivers? and are there any statistics about crime against children or adults for that matter, and what is the quality of education? someone please fill me in here.

"DA" said:
... and what is the quality of education? someone please fill me in here.
School education is crud, including the private sector. There is an exorbitantly priced American school with the low standards we've come to expect from American schools, and there's an English school (may be worth looking into). The rest are mostly rubbish. There are one or two posters here who are teachers and they may be able to give a fuller and more detailed picture.

....about school. 2 Friends of mine, Argentinian, currently living in Los Angelas, California have a 3 year old son, and a little sister for him due in 2 weeks. They have informed me that they are moving back to Buenos Aires in the next 2 years, primarily for their son...and in a few years for their daughters education and safety.For the last year they have been trying to find a pre-school and Kindergarten for their son. My friend Gaso is a successful art director, and looking to give his son the best education and day care..no matter what the price. He has found that instead of him interviewing the "educators/caretakers" of his pride and joy, they are interviewing him...to see if his son is "worthy" of their school. At the same time he is being charged 75$-250$ per application...with no obligation on their part to accept him, and even if they don't he does not get his money returned. The fees if his son is are around 10 thousand, per year... for pre-school and kindergarten.Shortly thereafter, is 1st through 8th where his son can appreciate going through a gun/knife detector every day, dealing with violence, gangs and drugs on a regular basis, all whilst having the incredible opportunity of American higher education. Addition and subtraction in 3rd grade, division in 4th or 5th, in 6th, might start a 2nd language, Algebra in 7th..all with outdated books, poorly paid teachers..... Geography (60% of US citizens can not find their own capitol on the map), Biology (creationism), History (US... we are kicking ass and saving the world), Philosophy (capitalism), Chemistry(drugs), music & Music Theory (non existent, it's liberal crap), 2nd/3rd language etc etc (trip to Tijuana por cervesa and chicas).....That awaits them in "high" school...in University, USA tends to catch up and do very well in specialty subjects...but still lacking many of the educational norms of European society mentioned before...
If I had to choose where I would want to have my children educated, United States would be the last place. I would choose Europe, or Argentina for that matter. Yes their is pollution here (united States and China are by far the biggest polluters on the planet), the cars and buses drive fast .... but gangs, guns, rapists, pedophiles, drugs and drug dealers are far more dangerous...

was not aware that argentina was devoid of gangs, rapists, pedophiles, drugs and drug dealers. sorry guys, got to run out and get some paco.

First off, I am a pretty firm believer the true education happens at home. I was raised in CT and attended public school - I received a good education in elementary school, but must say high school was a joke - partying was the main activity. Fortunately I had parents who insisted on meals together, conversations over many subjects and were always reading and encouraging us to do the same. As for education abroad - I understand Argentina has good schools - just like anywhere - some are better than others. But with the low education standards in the states and all the other crazy problems today - yes, this is another plus for us in choosing to stay. It's an ugly reality what has happened in the states since Columbine - but it is the reality nonetheless. And no, I don't hear about random shootings here in or out of school like you do regularly in the states. Overall, Argentina, today, feels like a better bet.

"in pretty much all of my experiences they are warm and kind and seem to always be thinking of ways to help each other out when they can."
"Since my first time here, people just seem more sane and tranquil and think of each other more than themselves first."
"But with the low education standards in the states and all the other crazy problems today - yes, this is another plus for us in choosing to stay. It's an ugly reality what has happened in the states since Columbine - but it is the reality nonetheless. And no, I don't hear about random shootings here in or out of school like you do regularly in the states. Overall, Argentina, today, feels like a better bet."
"If I had to choose where I would want to have my children educated, United States would be the last place. I would choose Europe, or Argentina for that matter. Yes their is pollution here (united States and China are by far the biggest polluters on the planet), the cars and buses drive fast .... but gangs, guns, rapists, pedophiles, drugs and drug dealers are far more dangerous..."

WOW I'm speechless. I can't help but be overwhelmed by so much ignorance and stupidity...
It's all too obvious that these posters have NEVER watched the local news or picked up an argentine newspaper. I know they have the right to talk all the nonsense they want but c'mon, this crosses the line... If they want to think Argentina is a bed of roses, fine. It's their own personal choice. But at least don't come to a public forum and spread disinformation. Just think how many people read this forum, many of whom have never been to Argentina. By posting such crap all you're doing is confusing them. Is that what you really want?
On a side note, I find it curious that the stupidest posts on this site always come from the same people. They are usually american expats who don't know a damn thing about Argentina and yet insist that it is better than the US... It's funny how their love of Argentina prevents them from seeing reality.

"cbphoto" said:
Shortly thereafter, is 1st through 8th where his son can appreciate going through a gun/knife detector every day, dealing with violence, gangs and drugs on a regular basis, all whilst having the incredible opportunity of American higher education. Addition and subtraction in 3rd grade, division in 4th or 5th, in 6th, might start a 2nd language, Algebra in 7th..all with outdated books, poorly paid teachers..... Geography (60% of US citizens can not find their own capitol on the map), Biology (creationism), History (US... we are kicking ass and saving the world), Philosophy (capitalism), Chemistry(drugs), music & Music Theory (non existent, it's liberal crap), 2nd/3rd language etc etc (trip to Tijuana por cervesa and chicas).....That awaits them in "high" school
but gangs, guns, rapists, pedophiles, drugs and drug dealers are far more dangerous...
This is a caricature of American schooling. It might describe the schools in South-Central LA, or the Bronx, or Gary, Indiana but not middle-class and upper-class areas. American education is decidedly not of the same calibre as European or East Asian education but there's no need to overstate one's case, thus weakening one's argument and exposing oneself to ridicule.

Johny and Bigbadwolf, it sounds like you have a more realistic view so could you please give some more information and details about the education and crime here in Argentina compared to US ???

Back