U.s. Embassy Event Report

fred mertz

Registered
Yesterday the U.S. Embassy (Argentina branch) held an event at the Hard Rock Cafe in Recoleta. It was held between 530 and 830. Since I didn't arrive until 7 15, can't attest to what took place before I got there. There were about 150 people in a very attractive room. Most of the men (not I) were wearing suits and ties and all the women were well dressed.
Everyone was in groups. There were almost no single or twosomes. Many people were speaking Spanish. Who were all of these people and how did they find out about this celebration about U.S. absentee voting? I believe that if one has registered their name with the Embassy they are notified about this sort of "event" I may be wrong, but I doubt if many of the attendees are BAexpat followers. Also, many of the folks were U.S. Embassy employees and probably people from other embassys,
An announcement was made that the Embassy will hold a party in September. People can present their absentee ballots to be mailed for free! Those that never received an absentee ballot will be able to vote, at that time. What about people who mail their ballots at their expense? Will they be able to vote twice? As they said or probably still say in Chicago "vote and Vote often".
The Ambassador gave a small talk about the good and getting better relationship between the U.S and Argentina. A big yawn. A woman from D.C. gave a talk, but said nothing.
It was a total waste off time, but I'm glad that I went
NOTHING WAS FREE !!!.. .

I attended once in June 2015 which was a total waste of time. Of course, nothing is free. Hard Rock Café is a business.

One doesn't have to attend the September event to have an absentee ballot mailed to the USA. You can drop it off at the US Embassy anytime, and it will be placed in the US mail pouch.

I prefer the BAexpats coffee chat at Alto Palermo any day to the Embassy gathering at Hard Rock.

Back