Uber's dark side...

Taxi drivers has a licence that is very expensive. Also they hace to approve the tests for professional driving. If they have criminal records they do not approve, neither if they have issues regarding mental health. The taxi license is very expensive, so, they take care of that. Uber...well, it is all illegal.

of course you would believe that government solves all problems

AEP now has a system where you print a ticket with an agreed upon fare and then go line up for a taxi so it's much better. It is more expensive than a normal trip, but the drivers have to line up for a while to wait for a fare anyway so whatever, it's fair enough.

The downside to the Uber rating system is that drivers have to maintain a ludicrous standard, 4.7 stars I think, and some people vote them down for the dumbest reasons which could result in them losing their job on a whim. Having to provide literally 5 star service all the time sucks.
I used that system today. Arrived at destination and taxi driver proceeded to try charge me 100 pesos more lol.. when I called him out on it he claimed ignorance and that he misread the price on the ticket lol... you can't write this stuff and it shows again why I hate taxi's here. If this was a new tourist they would likely just pay which shows how common this is. Absolute scum.

I take uber all the time (not just in BA), never felt unsafe. I have been overcharged by taxis, have had friends who have had issues in taxis with taxi drivers. Are taxis held to the standard that ride share companies are these days? Serious question, because I don’t know; but if it matters to you, I’d imagine you should know.

I'm sure Taxi enforcement of licensing rules is virtually non-existant here, Uber and others have certain standards that they are required to operate under. I doubt if there is any follow-up after a driver is qualified to drive either a taxi or Uber. Technology could help on both sides to improve passenger security.

I'm sure Taxi enforcement of licensing rules is virtually non-existant here, Uber and others have certain standards that they are required to operate under. I doubt if there is any follow-up after a driver is qualified to drive either a taxi or Uber. Technology could help on both sides to improve passenger security.

Very true if you ever asked a Taxi driver to turn on the AC, or lower the Cumbia music ..! you know what I mean..!

Considering how many times I've seen taxi drivers driving in the middle of the night with their headlights off, I'm going to say standards aren't very high. Always fun trying to cross the street and a mysterious taxi you couldn't see nearly runs you over.

Back