UK Electronic appliances in Argentina techie question

cocteauuk said:
Thanks everybody, after reading keech's comment my wife is thinking about taking the toaster, microwave and iron with us!

I took a look at the argentinean Mac site and they are charging 649 pesos (£100) for a bloody cable that costs £45 here, ridiculous!

So I'll get a couple of the surge protected extensions and at least 7 convertors!

Thanks all again!

Are you bringing an container? If so bring all your appliances. We do the same with kitchen appliances. The kettle, microwave, coffee grinder, toaster, etc all plug into our extension cord where we changed the plug that goes into the wall.

If you are not taking a container then buy those appliances when you get here.

Speaking about Mac, anyone know if my new macbook pro warranty and apple care is recognized in the mac store in Argentina?

MatiArg said:
Speaking about Mac, anyone know if my new macbook pro warranty and apple care is recognized in the mac store in Argentina?

That's right Mati, I think that's a good question, I asked the people in Apple store in London and they said this was a worldwide guarrantee. I'll send an email to the Bs As store and let you know.

M

@cocteauuk
Most of technology now days work with both 220v/110v or 50hz/60hz. If you plan to stay for a long period i would cut the power cords and re-wire them into Argentinean type plugs.

Something important, here there's no legislation whatsoever that regulates electric protection in order to create a safe environment for electronic devices. Meaning: you should buy a UPS. If you can spend a little more i recommend you buy an online UPS. Stabilizers are waste of money and time, they only work well in places where instead of 220 you have prolonged swells (this mainly is the case in north-west argentina).

One cheap stand-by UPS with AVR:
http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR500I

About electronic protection:
http://www.energycontrol.com.ar/en/

@MatiArg Apple Warranty is worldwide. I've personally verified it works here.

if your business depends on power you might want to bring some sort of UPS device with you ... it is usually bulky and heavy so you can opt for one without batteries and buy batteries down here ....

I would say just bring the surge protected extension that you suggested , and buy an Argentine plug when you get here.

radeckcom said:
if your business depends on power you might want to bring some sort of UPS device with you ... it is usually bulky and heavy so you can opt for one without batteries and buy batteries down here ....

Not an option here for a couple reasons:

1) UPS should function with 220v/50hz.
2) Customs may retain the UPS due to electrical certification.

I sent an email to the macstore yesterday and was amazed that i got such a quick reply.

They sell applecare at the macstore in buenos aires and the tech told me that its more convenient to buy it in buenos aires if your residing there. I checked the prices and in buenos aires it cost like 15 extra bucks then what it costs in the US. So i guess im gonna go ahead and purchase it in BAires. Did you get a similar reply Cocteauuk?

Mati, warranty is worldwide. In order to be an apple reseller partner you MUST accept the warranty terms. Of course they will say its more convenient because they want to sell, sell and sell.

Back