Ultima Prorroga after 6 months...the perma-tourist crackdown is real

Kate108

Registered
I would just like to share a little bit about my situation (as a type of warning, I guess) and ask some questions.

I'm a US citizen that arrived here in September '10 and at the end of November I went to Colonia just to check it out (the first time I'd ever been). I got back into Argentina just fine with a new stamp. I just went to the immigrations office today to extend my visa and received the extension, although the stamp in my passport has the Ultima Prorroga (aka kiss of death) note written below. :(

I do have entrance stamps from Feb. 2009 when I studied abroad here, and 2 more from visits in 2010. Maybe that's what the officer was referring to when she told me that since I have multiple entrances and exits, I have 90 days to get legal or leave.

Considering I know multiple people here that have stayed here for 2+ years as perma-tourists, I have to assume that either I just have really bad luck, or that I made a bad decision going to immigrations and it is NOT the place to go EVER to renew a visa.

Reading over these forums, it seems as though if I leave the country and come back via Colonia I will be given 3-5 days to get out. Does anyone know: If I go back to the US for a month or two and come back, will I still be denied reentry?

I do have options to get legal here, the issue is the timing.
Do I absolutely need to work out a visa within these 90 days? Unfortunately I need to get all of my paperwork together and I realize that takes time. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I leave, sort out my situation, and re-enter with some type of proof (letter of university acceptance, marriage certificate, etc.) that I will be getting some type of visa this time around, they cannot deny me re-entry, no?

I know that this topic has been beaten to death, and believe me- I'm miserable about having to write this post, but I would appreciate any recent experiences with the ultima prorroga and re-entry to the country. Some advice would be great, also.

Seems that CFK wasn't kidding!!!
 

Johnny

Registered
Kate108 said:
I would just like to share a little bit about my situation (as a type of warning, I guess) and ask some questions.

I'm a US citizen that arrived here in September '10 and at the end of November I went to Colonia just to check it out (the first time I'd ever been). I got back into Argentina just fine with a new stamp. I just went to the immigrations office today to extend my visa and received the extension, although the stamp in my passport has the Ultima Prorroga (aka kiss of death) note written below. :(

I do have entrance stamps from Feb. 2009 when I studied abroad here, and 2 more from visits in 2010. Maybe that's what the officer was referring to when she told me that since I have multiple entrances and exits, I have 90 days to get legal or leave.

Considering I know multiple people here that have stayed here for 2+ years as perma-tourists, I have to assume that either I just have really bad luck, or that I made a bad decision going to immigrations and it is NOT the place to go EVER to renew a visa.

Reading over these forums, it seems as though if I leave the country and come back via Colonia I will be given 3-5 days to get out. Does anyone know: If I go back to the US for a month or two and come back, will I still be denied reentry?

I do have options to get legal here, the issue is the timing.
Do I absolutely need to work out a visa within these 90 days? Unfortunately I need to get all of my paperwork together and I realize that takes time. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I leave, sort out my situation, and re-enter with some type of proof (letter of university acceptance, marriage certificate, etc.) that I will be getting some type of visa this time around, they cannot deny me re-entry, no?

I know that this topic has been beaten to death, and believe me- I'm miserable about having to write this post, but I would appreciate any recent experiences with the ultima prorroga and re-entry to the country. Some advice would be great, also.

Seems that CFK wasn't kidding!!!
Hi Kate ! I have two "ultima prorrogas" ! Heppa ! With these noxious things in my passport I have left Argentina and returned a number of times. Sometimes I pass through immigration without any problem and sometimes not. The last time coming in from the states I received an angry lecture from an immigration official who took my passport to a supervisor. She returned, stamped in 90 more days, shook her finger in my face some more and sent me on my merry way.

So, I'm not so sure what can be learned from my situation other than immigration here is absurdly inconsistent and a crapshoot. What is clear is that you and I should never again go to Retiro to renew for 90 more days. I also suspect that with bad luck we may eventually be told to pack our bags and hit the road. But really, who knows ?! Good luck !
 

RobW

Registered
No worries Kate! I was up to 5 before becoming legal! As Johnny commented, it all comes down to your luck the day you cross in. Worst case scenario you get a stern lecture. If that happens, just mention you're "en tramite", it might help out in a jam.
 

esllou

Registered
migraciones is the place to avoid. It's like walking into the lion's den. Either overstay and take the consequences or do the colonia run. I wouldn't ever go to migraciones, not even for the apparently allowed first extension.
 

Johnny

Registered
esllou said:
migraciones is the place to avoid. It's like walking into the lion's den. Either overstay and take the consequences or do the colonia run. I wouldn't ever go to migraciones, not even for the apparently allowed first extension.
Amen. The epicenter of perma-tourist haters, and maybe now not even that "perma".
 

jaredwb

Registered
Kate108 said:
I would just like to share a little bit about my situation (as a type of warning, I guess) and ask some questions.

I'm a US citizen that arrived here in September '10 and at the end of November I went to Colonia just to check it out (the first time I'd ever been). I got back into Argentina just fine with a new stamp. I just went to the immigrations office today to extend my visa and received the extension, although the stamp in my passport has the Ultima Prorroga (aka kiss of death) note written below. :(

I do have entrance stamps from Feb. 2009 when I studied abroad here, and 2 more from visits in 2010. Maybe that's what the officer was referring to when she told me that since I have multiple entrances and exits, I have 90 days to get legal or leave.

Considering I know multiple people here that have stayed here for 2+ years as perma-tourists, I have to assume that either I just have really bad luck, or that I made a bad decision going to immigrations and it is NOT the place to go EVER to renew a visa.

Reading over these forums, it seems as though if I leave the country and come back via Colonia I will be given 3-5 days to get out. Does anyone know: If I go back to the US for a month or two and come back, will I still be denied reentry?

I do have options to get legal here, the issue is the timing.
Do I absolutely need to work out a visa within these 90 days? Unfortunately I need to get all of my paperwork together and I realize that takes time. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I leave, sort out my situation, and re-enter with some type of proof (letter of university acceptance, marriage certificate, etc.) that I will be getting some type of visa this time around, they cannot deny me re-entry, no?

I know that this topic has been beaten to death, and believe me- I'm miserable about having to write this post, but I would appreciate any recent experiences with the ultima prorroga and re-entry to the country. Some advice would be great, also.

Seems that CFK wasn't kidding!!!

Kate, Kate, Kate...haven't you learned yet that everything, including your little visa issues, can go away with just a simple flip of the wallet.

I believe the current rate is $100 pesos per palm.

I agree with the other posters...the worse that will really happen is they might go all Authoritative Padre on you, but you'll get an extension. If the "hint" is made, flip it open and be generous...they will remember your ex-pat generosity the next time :);):)
 

steveinbsas

Registered
jaredwb said:
Kate, Kate, Kate...haven't you learned yet that everything, including your little visa issues, can go away with just a simple flip of the wallet.

I believe the current rate is $100 pesos per palm.

I agree with the other posters...the worse that will really happen is they might go all Authoritative Padre on you, but you'll get an extension. If the "hint" is made, flip it open and be generous...they will remember your ex-pat generosity the next time :);):)
If you do offer the bribe and get your extension (if that's how it really works) I think that you would be remembered and expected to pay just as generously in the future.

And you would also be able to remember how you became a willing participant in the corruption in Argentina, helping to perpetuate it (just so you can extend your stay here).

I think offering a bribe is a horrible thing to do. I wouldn't encourage it, either.
 

La Marlina

Registered
Just my most recent experience - My first entry to Argentina was Nov. 08. I have never overstayed, and have never gone to Migraciones to buy an extension stamp, always renewing my tourist visa by leaving the country.

I did go to Colonia last weekend - and of course - same as it ever was - I was stamped in with my new 90 days without a word - just a friendly smile and wave from the woman doing the stamping out of Uruguay, and the woman doing the stamping into Argentina.

Good luck with whatever you choose, Kate!
 

Johnno

Registered
All the best with that Kate - I will be doing my first run in a couple of months but will be interested to hear any/all experiences from people like yourself - I'll be trying to get legal here in the next 6 months and then I can relax a little :)
 
Top