University Of Buenos Aires

Sheilah

Registered
Hi all. My son is interested in attending UBA when he graduates high school in two years. The university says I need to contact the consulate here first but the consulate says he needs to be accepted first. What is the reality? And I have read that he needs to get his high school transcript and degree translated and that will suffice. But I have also read that he may need to take high school equivalency tests. Is it possible to get all the paperwork arranged from the United States so that he can just show up a couple weeks early and enroll in classes? Is space limited? I'd appreciate any information anyone can give me. Thank you,
Sheilah

It's extremely difficult unless you come from a Latin American country. A friend from outside LA tried and gave up. He's enrolling at a private university instead.

UBA is a good college, but the bureaucracy is horrible. You will need to contact UBA directly and have him discuss his admission requirements in Spanish with them. Assume he is fluent?

He is currently a sophomore in high school and already looking to go to university abroad?

Would your son come alone?

Does he speak Spanish fluently?

Has he visited Buenos Aires before?

I just ask these questions because an 18-year-old for the first time in Buenos Aires with a not perfect level of Spanish for UBA would be extremely challenging!

The office where you have to go is at the building at viamonte +- 400.

UBA starts in March (being in the Southern Hemisphere). You normally have to enroll in December, before Christmas. This is what I remember, please check this info. (you might be able to start the CBC in the second term, which starts in August).
For the first year you must take general courses, called the CBC (ciclo basico comun). These can be taken outside of the actual faculties in many places throughout the city and the province of Buenos Aires. Once you pass this--should take a year, it is used as a filter and some people take more time--you then enroll in the department of your choice--law, literature, medicine, etc.
When I checked a few years ago ANY university in Argentina requires an official HS diploma. The US HS diploma is NOT recognized in Argentina (Spain is, for example) so he will have to take 6 exams at a local HS to get his HS degree. He does NOT have to enroll in HS, just take the exams. I suggest a tutor for this. You need to study, but not impossible, and if you can´t pass HS you definately won´t be able to handle UBA!!!!
Some private universities don´t require this but they cannot grant you an official diploma if you don´t have your HS degree. One private film school said that they would give me a degree but on the certificate there would be a sticker saying "not legally valid". Kind of like if you go to a US university and take all the credits but don´t get the degree.

If your son wants to do this, he will need to have very strong Spanish. he should come after he graduates HS, and start studying for the HS exams while he also practices his Argentine Spanish, maybe even sitting in on some UBA classes ("oyente" very easy to do, you just need to ask the professor, no paperwork).

Another great public university is the university of cordoba in a smaller city (still 1 million people) and the people there are very nice, like to party (not in a frat school way).

What does he want to study? I think if he wants to study medicine or science, this makes a lot of sense. He will get a medical degree for basically, nothing, and Argnetine doctors are very well respected. But he needs to be aware of how the UBA works. No hand holding, but a great learning experience. Remember, the majority of students fail out, and the system is designed to weed out the weak which is very different than the US system. The UBA has a lot of prestige in part because if you can graduate it means you are motivated and can deal with adversity, a lot of the private universities (not all) treat students as customers, more like the US system.

So it is clear, the UBA has to accept any person with a valid HS degree if they fill out the correct forms and if there is enough space. Never heard of anyone who signed up on time (in general, there is a two week period to sign up around Christmas) who was denied. They might make an exception if you owe one exam, but not sure about that.

You can start CBC even if you own exams. They have a program called UBA XXI that it is supposed to do while you are in the last year of the high school. So, i suggest you also check this out.

I m a UBA lawyer and I teach for almost 10 years there. I agree with MP.

Back