Updated COVID restrictions on circulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

The discussions for measures to be taken in AMBA continue.
Axel K wants a near full lockdown and curbs on public transport.
Laretta wants more tests but no major restrictions.
Both agree schools must remain open.
It is suggested that both may find common ground on restricting social activities and nocturnal activities.

What is clear is that in this election year absolutely no one wants to make a decision that could be economically harmful and thus unpopular. For this reason the president is no longer wielding about decrees left right and center like in 2020 and has instead thrown the governors in front of the bus to deal with the biggest crisis we have seen since the start of the pandemic in a decentralised and largely inconsistent manner despite having near complete freedom of movement between provinces and municipalities. Also without further financial resources available from the government to compensate those economically affected by further measures should they become necessary makes it increasingly difficult for local authorities to implement such measures. Meanwhile amidst the political chaos the risk that we end up in a Brazil style situation of sanitary collapse looks closer by the day if things keep going at this rate.

CABA reported another record of 2428 new cases today and Argentina recorded its highest single day death toll in two months.

In a socially considerate country that would work as intended. Just like wearing masks properly in public places or limiting the size and form of social gatherings or social distancing or following speed limits on deserted roads or picking up dog poop or not jaywalking etc etc etc. But this is Argentina where everyone is an exception to the “rule” until they actually get busted... well perhaps with the exception of following the sacred rule of the “cola” which needs no sign at all ;-)
I guess I am a dummy at times for following rules and respecting laws regardless of if I am being observed or watched (or not) by some form of enforcement authority that could reprimand me or worse yet, arrest me for breaking the law or not following the rules.

There's people all over the planet who act and behave such that they don't adhere to what they are asked or directed to do. And I never care so much, because I believe sooner or later their behavior, their disregard for following the system will eventually catch up with them.

Me? Just because some one else ignores rules, I don't follow suit. Simply because two wrongs don't make a right as the saying goes.

BTW - I do pick up after my dog in a neighborhood where mostly no one else does. There is dog feces all around and it simply isn't right, but I never say a word. No one wants to hear me advise them on what to do. It's a sad commentary of the way people are and the way the world is.

In a socially considerate country that would work as intended. Just like wearing masks properly in public places or limiting the size and form of social gatherings or social distancing or following speed limits on deserted roads or picking up dog poop or not jaywalking etc etc etc. But this is Argentina where everyone is an exception to the “rule” until they actually get busted... well perhaps with the exception of following the sacred rule of the “cola” which needs no sign at all ;-)
I don't think you can claim Argentine exceptionalism in this instance: so-called "socially considerate" countries like France, Germany, UK and the USA are struggling with the same issues. Social anthropologists have for decades been studying the behaviour of people subjected to long term threat and would say that what's happening now is entirely predictable. That's not prevented a whole deluge of new papers on the subject being published in the last few months!

The insistence on keeping schools open could become a big mistake. In my girlfriend's kindergarden there have been 3 cases of COVID among the staff since the kindergarden opened mid February. Two of them were caught from kids (one at the kindergarden , one from outside). The idea that children can't transmit COVID is just a dangerous myth.

In this kindergarden, the classes are supposed to operate in "bubbles", but this being Argentina, a single person was designated to take the kids to the bathroom, and this person was the one infected, so nobody has any idea which "bubble" has the COVID case. I assume this protocol was signed off by the Ministry of Education. I doubt very much that parents are given any of this information.

Larreta and the city government have been slow-walking the vaccine for teachers, I assume for political reasons. First they tried to divert the Sinopharm vaccines for other purposes, though they were designated by the national government for teachers, and now even though I understand that a decision was taken to apply as many first doses as possible, and more Sinopharm vaccines have arrived, teachers' vaccination hasn't resumed in the city yet. CABA will have been the first to open schools, and the last to vaccinate teachers, decisions that will no doubt cost lives.

According to the government of Alberto, schools are not a big source of contagion or outbreaks and will continue. They maintain that children will not be considered for vaccines just yet due to "lack of evidence" regarding children and vaccines, only primary and secondary teachers will be progressively vaccinated at this stage however the focus of the national government remains on vaccinating those at most risk of dying:

Meanwhile "intense, transitory and localized" restrictions are expected to be announced today:

https://www.infobae.com/politica/20...ntensas-transitorias-tempranas-y-localizadas/. ... whatever this shall mean.

The insistence on keeping schools open could become a big mistake. In my girlfriend's kindergarden there have been 3 cases of COVID among the staff since the kindergarden opened mid February. Two of them were caught from kids (one at the kindergarden , one from outside). The idea that children can't transmit COVID is just a dangerous myth.

In this kindergarden, the classes are supposed to operate in "bubbles", but this being Argentina, a single person was designated to take the kids to the bathroom, and this person was the one infected, so nobody has any idea which "bubble" has the COVID case. I assume this protocol was signed off by the Ministry of Education. I doubt very much that parents are given any of this information.

Larreta and the city government have been slow-walking the vaccine for teachers, I assume for political reasons. First they tried to divert the Sinopharm vaccines for other purposes, though they were designated by the national government for teachers, and now even though I understand that a decision was taken to apply as many first doses as possible, and more Sinopharm vaccines have arrived, teachers' vaccination hasn't resumed in the city yet. CABA will have been the first to open schools, and the last to vaccinate teachers, decisions that will no doubt cost lives.

Frank,

It's an election year, the power grab is the motivation behind most of these actions and decisions.

It's an election year, the power grab is the motivation behind most of these actions and decisions.
Yes, the opposition weaponized the schools topic, without contributing any plans or ideas. Larreta isn't the most extreme in the opposition, but he's definitely slow-walking the teachers' vaccines.

I saw this in Infobae: “Most outbreaks do not originate in places where there are protocols, they do not originate in factories nor are they frequent in classrooms. [...] ”, said Vizzotti. In this context, she claimed that the positive tests of education workers are exceptional and they work with the different jurisdictions to follow up on the cases. Analía Rearte, director of epidemiology, agreed with Vizzotti: "We have not had major outbreaks in schools."

And I wondered, how would they know? The parents are supposed to give a sworn declaration that there's no active case of COVID in the family when they bring their children, but that's it. What happens if a family has a case and doesn't come to the school for 2 weeks or so? I don't believe there's any way to tie a case of infection in school to that school. It's everyone for themselves now, at least in this case politics has won out over science and sense.

Yes, the opposition weaponized the schools topic, without contributing any plans or ideas. Larreta isn't the most extreme in the opposition, but he's definitely slow-walking the teachers' vaccines.

I saw this in Infobae: “Most outbreaks do not originate in places where there are protocols, they do not originate in factories nor are they frequent in classrooms. [...] ”, said Vizzotti. In this context, she claimed that the positive tests of education workers are exceptional and they work with the different jurisdictions to follow up on the cases. Analía Rearte, director of epidemiology, agreed with Vizzotti: "We have not had major outbreaks in schools."

And I wondered, how would they know? The parents are supposed to give a sworn declaration that there's no active case of COVID in the family when they bring their children, but that's it. What happens if a family has a case and doesn't come to the school for 2 weeks or so? I don't believe there's any way to tie a case of infection in school to that school. It's everyone for themselves now, at least in this case politics has won out over science and sense.
Frank, I couldn't agree with you more. It's disheartening when all we are trying to do is live our lives and the people who are in power or are fighting to acquire it, affect our lives in a way that suits their needs and motives, minimizing us in the process. It is both depressing and wrong. Sadly, there isn't a whole lot that can be done about it all. Depressing for sure as always. Add to that, this kind of human behavior is global. Anywhere there are people and politics, GLOBAL.

Surely it’s quite right that schools are given priority to remain open?
Any of this is hardly the children’s fault and it’s not right that their future should be any more adversely affected by this than it has already.
To put it rather bluntly old people have already lived their lives I’m not sure of the morality of ruining the opportunity of future generations to preserve a few extra years of another generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back