Updated info 2009 on buying a car in Argentina

DA

Registered
Updated info 2009 on buying a car in Argentina.

This information is updated 2009, legal, verified, and tried several times by me and different foreigners in 2009, to buy and transfer a car in Argentina. There is many ways to buy and transfer a car in Argentina, there are cheap and easy ways and there are complicated and expensive ways.

I am first going to explain the cheap and easy do it yourself way.

To start all you need is Passport from any country with the normal 90 day tourist stamp you get when you enter Argentina.
Print the 1 page form online here http://www.afip.gob.ar/genericos/formularios/archivos/pdf/f663.pdf and fill it out. This form is changed in 2009 so make sure it says nuevo modelo underneath the F. 663. Now take this form and your Passport and go to any AFIP office, you can ask any Taxi driver where they are located or you can look it up online www.afip.gob.ar/home/
Now you will get your CDI number the same day.
Now you are ready to buy your car, it is as easy as that.

Get on www.mercadolibre.com.ar or search the local newspapers or go to a new or used car dealer.
The cheapest way will be buying from an individual, so the following is what you need to do if you are buying from a private person.

Find the car, inspect the car carefully and low ball the seller with a low offer, they are all asking to much money for the cars here but will accept substantially less if you treat them with respect.Once you come to an agreement do NOT give the seller any money YET, tell him to come with you or meet you at the nearest Registro National De La Propiedad Del Automotor this is the title transfer office, they are also all over the place just ask a taxi driver or look it up online http://www.dnrpa.gov.ar/ . When you get there have the seller hand over the papers(Titulo, Cedula Verde, Forma 12, ID) to the person behind the counter and tell him you want to transfer this car but first make sure the paperwork is correct and how much money the seller owes in unpaid tickets and taxes on this car, this has to be paid there before you can transfer. When you find out that everything is OK with the paperwork and the amount due in unpaid tickets and taxes (if any) you can give the seller his money and transfer the car right there and then. All the forms you need to transfer will be there like the Forma 08. There are a some forms the seller needs to bring like the, Titulo, Cedula Verde, Forma 12, ID, but you as the buyer only needs to bring the CDI and your Passport. This process is very easy and the people here working at the different government offices are extremely nice and helpful even if you don't speak much castellano, they will guide you and the seller in the right direction and tell you what you need and don't need to transfer you car.

Your second option is to use one of the many highly educated Gestoria del Automotor or Gestor, or an Escribano or Abogado or Doctor or Professor in these subjects, it is unbelievable the highly educated help you can get to transfer a car,(how can you not LOVE Argentina) but also expect to pay in accordance and expect to wait a lot longer.

I know there are many treads on this site saying you need all kinds of documentation like residency, DNI, etc,etc to buy a car when you are a foreigner this is NOT true as of 2009, ALL you need is a PASSPORT of any nationality and a CDI.

DA said:
...Print the 1 page form online here http://www.afip.gob.ar/genericos/formularios/archivos/pdf/f663.pdf and fill it out. This form is changed in 2009 so make sure it says nuevo modelo underneath the F. 663. Now take this form and your Passport and go to any AFIP office, you can ask any Taxi driver where they are located or you can look it up online www.afip.gob.ar/home/
Now you will get your CDI number the same day.

Is is still necessary to provide AFIP with a certificado de domicilio and photocopies of the pages of the passport bearing the holder's photo and entry stamp (into Argentina) in order to receive the CDI?

To obtain the certificado de domicilio you pay 10 pesos at the nearest comisaria (police station) and they usually come in the next day or two to give you the certificate. In theory you are supposed to have some type of bill or lease with your name and the address to show that you are living there, but the officer taking your ten pesos will probably just ask for your direccion, so be prepared to answer in castellano. In this case tell them you need the certificado for AFIP. They will also ask for your numero de documento which, in this case, is your passport number. It's OK at the comisaria if you only show them a photocopy, but AFIP will want to see your passport as well as keep the photocopies.

Yes (got my CDI in Aug) - you have to provide Certificate of Domicilio and photocopy of 2 of your passport pages - the pages with your info & pages with your entry/exit.

Good to know about the car.

My question however is can you get insurance without residency? B/C I have been told no, it's not possible without that.

Any information on that?

Edited to say I don't believe DA is correct in saying you can go to any AFIP office - you have to go to the one that services your neighborhood. At least that is what both my lawyer and the first AFIP office told me (I went to the wrong one the first tme).

I had the same problem. I couldn't get insurance at a couple of places without a DNI or a dimplomatic passport. Heh.

I got insurance at:

Meridional Seguros
Tte. Gral. Perón 646 4to. Piso
Tel: (54-11) 4909-7000/4325-8855/4393-1911

I know a friend who got insurance at Mapfre - I don't have contact info for that, but it's all over the place, should be easy to find.

I just bought a car, new, with just a passport and CDI. I got insurance with no problem at Falabella. The problem is I tried to go to Uruguay on Buquebus but customs said I could not leave Argentina without a DNI. Can anyone confirm this. Any suggestions:

yes that seems to be true. I am interested to know a way to get round this...

katti said:
yes that seems to be true. I am interested to know a way to get round this...

The only ways i know to get around the restriction on foreigners taking Argentine nationalized cars outside of Argentina, are 2 ways:
1) be a permanent resident or ARG citizen or
2) have a car that is not nationalized in ARG (has plates from another country)

I understand you have to be a permanent resident to get an Arg-tagged car out of the country.. Being a citizen is not enough.

To be mentionned : the forma 12 you mention is the formulario that gets filled at the verificacion policial.

The verificacion policial : they check the engine and body number, etc..
they do too on some vehicles a technical inspection

A little story : someone I know got his vehicle seized (he is Argentinean). He had all the papers though only that they had not proceeded (seller and him) to the DPRA.
All the papers were fake.
Rule : follow the steps by the letter

Back