Uruguay Banking, Opening Account And Withdrawing Dollars

The link doesn't work. I tried calling Banco Central del Urugay in Montevideo with the correct country and city code but the number doesn't work. Do they have a branch in Buenos Aires?

No problem as long as you stay under 10.000 per month. Next month you may transfer again 9.999 us. Even if you are higher than 10.000 they just requiere something like a bank statement of your account of origin and thats it. I did that many times. Never had any problem.

LOL, if you do monthly transfers of $9999 your account will get closed down for structuring in no time at all. Just transfer the actual funds you need to transfer and present the paperwork you need to present (origen of funds, etc). Forget about privacy in the banking world.

If you want financial privacy deal in cash or bitcoin.

Anyone know, if you fly to Argentina from Europe or US with say 9,999 USD, you wouldn't have to declare it to Argentine customs right?

Which bank did you open an account in? In Colonia or in Uruguay? Today someone recommended opening a savings account in Banco Nacion de Uruguay but I'm not sure if it's a good bank to transfer dollars form the States. What are the best, hassle-free banks in Colonia to open an account?

It was brou in colonia. Transferred dollars from a UK bank no problem, not sure about the U.S. Just take plenty of documentation with you ie proof of id, address, income, source of money to transfer,etc. ID/Passport, household bills, wage slips are all good.

I have an EU passport and have been here in Argentina for almost 3 years now - I would like to transfer US dollars to an account in Uruguay then do the monthly ferry trip to take out US dollars there and bring them back to BA to get the (obvious) benefits - what will I need now (September 2013) to be able to do this ? I suppose I have two questions really:

1. What will I need to open a US dollar account in Uruguay?
2. What banks do people recommend ?

Thanking you all in advance.

Hi All

We`re in need of transfering a large amount of cash over from our uk bank, so we are thinking about opening a uruguayan bank account to transfer money across and withdraw something in the region of $8000 usd. We`ve communicated with the bank in Uruguay about what is required, and we seem to have everything. The grey area is the withdrawing that amount of money, they seem to say over $10,000 will require proof of how we came about this amount of money. So does that mean below $10,000 they wont check? I do have proof ie work invoices,etc but its all in English, does it require translation and an apostle to verify them?

Anyone help?

Thanks alot

John

Hi, I hope you will let us know how this works out. I could answer your questions if you are U.S. citizen but since you are U.K. I am not sure. I see you had some answers but not sure if everyone noticed you were transferring from the U.K and not U.S. I think if you are a U.K. citizen and not a U.S. citizen there is a big difference. However, if you are U.S. with a U.K. account, that would be different also. In any event I agree you can transfer any amount in as long as you jump through the right hoops. Uruguay wants to accommodate you, they just want to stay out of trouble.

I have an EU passport and have been here in Argentina for almost 3 years now - I would like to transfer US dollars to an account in Uruguay then do the monthly ferry trip to take out US dollars there and bring them back to BA to get the (obvious) benefits - what will I need now (September 2013) to be able to do this ? I suppose I have two questions really:

1. What will I need to open a US dollar account in Uruguay?
2. What banks do people recommend ?

Thanking you all in advance.

1. requisites:
- 2 IDs with photos
- Utility bill showing your name + your residential address
- A proof of the funds you receive ("certificacion de ingresos" signed by a notary public/escribano OR purchase orders or similar documents showing your monthly revenues = better use the first document).

2. recommended:
- BROU in Colonia = arrive at 12:30 (opens at 1pm) and wait in the queue. Once it opens, take a number on the machine of the LEFT (not on the RIGHT). It takes about 45 mins if you have everything ready.

Many many thanks Frenchie - since I am renting and the utilities are all in the landlord's name I wonder if that police certificate of residence would be good enough? (I am in the process of going for citizenship here...) I should have my Argentine passport in the next month or so...

Back