Uruguay Banking, Opening Account And Withdrawing Dollars

Not sure Mariano - the question is WHO are we supposed to declare this to and in what circumstances? I will probably have my citizenship process completed in the next couple of months - its been a long drawn out process but its just about finished now. Once I am a citizen I am guessing that (?) is when they are going to pay more attention to me - but in the meantime I've successfully managed to open my account in Uruguay and everything seems fine. Really the only problem I see myself as having right now is HOW I can actually send pesos I have in hand overseas - I just checked with Western Union today and what a joke - apparently there is a limit of 1500 pesos per transaction? That is pathetic - if I want to send 30,000 pesos I am going to have to do 20 transactions???? Absolutely nuts...

You can send 1,500 a month under certain circumstances. No one can get dollars at the official rate. People who do are exceptions to the rule and only with limited amounts and you need to ask AFIP for permission. If it were easy to get dollars at the official rate a lot of people would just stop working and trade official pesos into blue pesos over and over and over again.

The grand plan in this thread is basically the same as saying:

"I want to print money. Does anyone know where I can get a printing press, the paper, and the ink with which to do this?"

These presses are illegal for individuals to buy or own. However they are available on the black market and can usually be purchased from Iran.

lol :) I won't even think about ''illegal printing presses from iran'' Ghost :) However, really I have most of what I want to be able to do already organized - its done :) The one problem I have really is this - I want to be able to take my pesos somewhere (preferably in the capital) and send them back overseas (converted in the process to dollars at the legal rate) to one of my accounts there. I know I will have to pay a fee for the transfer - thats no problem - I just don't want to lose too much money each time I make such a transfer...

The thing that is worrying me now though is this - that if I do have a large amount of Argentine pesos in hand I *won't* have any way of sending them (transferring and converting back to dollars in the process) to my account overseas - that is my only issue really...

lol :) I won't even think about ''illegal printing presses from iran'' Ghost :) However, really I have most of what I want to be able to do already organized - its done :) The one problem I have really is this - I want to be able to take my pesos somewhere (preferably in the capital) and send them back overseas (converted in the process to dollars at the legal rate) to one of my accounts there. I know I will have to pay a fee for the transfer - thats no problem - I just don't want to lose too much money each time I make such a transfer...

The thing that is worrying me now though is this - that if I do have a large amount of Argentine pesos in hand I *won't* have any way of sending them (transferring and converting back to dollars in the process) to my account overseas - that is my only issue really...

Hi Juanito. You're new, so I'll go easy on you. The one problem you have is the one problem EVERYONE in Argentina has. It is practically impossible to exchange pesos to dollars at the official rate, much less transfer it to another country. Even exchanging money at the black and blue rate requires you to circumvent the "official" channels to get the money out of Argentina.

There are people in downtown that run a wire. They are very ligit and honest and have been doing this for many, many years. There is a fee and the fee changes daily/depending. But it is not bad. You need to ask around and someone might introduce you.

There are people in downtown that run a wire. They are very ligit and honest and have been doing this for many, many years. There is a fee and the fee changes daily/depending. But it is not bad. You need to ask around and someone might introduce you.

He's asking about exchanging at the official rate. Where is that possible?

in one of the 197 countries of the world that don't restrict foreign exchange. Everyone knows it. Only residents who pay taxes can get exchange for international travel purposes 100 bucks per day IF THEY'RE LUCKY. You can also get the offical exchange rate + 20% if you use your ARGIE credit card for purchases (and those of use who don't have a DNI can't get one). Apparently people can send their immediate relatives 1500 bucks per month as "ayuda familiar" but that would require to be working legally I suppose.

Other than that you're better off trying the printing press idea,

He's asking about exchanging at the official rate. Where is that possible?
" I do have a large amount of Argentine pesos in hand I *won't* have any way of sending them (transferring and converting back to dollars in the process) to my account overseas - that is my only issue really" If you can get a referal to the wire folks the conversion and the sending is a one stop process. The dollars show up in your account, in the country of your choice.

Back