Uruguay or Argentine residency?

Alilou

Registered
My Argentine fiance is getting transfered to Montevideo and we will be moving shortly after the wedding... in which country do I seek residency?

I going to guess no one really has experience with this but maybe someone has some sort of answer...

Thanks in advance!

No experience, but it seems to me you should apply for Argentina as you qualify it seems when you marry an Argentine as you will always have family business there, even if you work in Uruguay. I don't know if you would get a visa for Uruguay so "easily" Can you not apply for the two ? Good luck.
What I would give to be at your stage of the the process.I mean a step nearer to being there. Sigh

Alilou said:
My Argentine fiance is getting transfered to Montevideo and we will be moving shortly after the wedding... in which country do I seek residency?

You will have to apply for temporary residency in Uruguay if that's where you (are going to) live.

You may also be able to apply for "permanent residency" in Argentina as a "consequence" of being married. I believe Bajo_cero once posted that it would be illegal to be a resident of two countries, but I'm not certain. When I had temporary residency in Argentina was I not still at least a part time resident of the US?

I could be wrong, but I think you can apply for permanent residency in Argentina as soon as you are married (and have an address in Argentina). You can apply for temporary residency in Uruguay as necessary (probably on/with your husband's application). Remember that you will have to present documents in both countries so you might need two sets of originals of some (if not all) of them.

katti said:
If I am not mistaken, Uruguay is better taxwise.

If you live and work en blanco in Uruguay you have to have legal residency in Uruguay. An Argentine citizen working in Uruguay is still an Argentine citizen. If their worldwide income is taxed, they will owe tax here, too.

Perhaps the OP can avoid Argentine tax on her income (if she is also working in Uruguay) and does not seek residency in Argentina, but until she does I think she would have to continue to enter and exit Argentina with a tourist visa.

Okay. I'll have to think about all this but I'll make sure to get duplicates of all documents just in case. I'm leaning towards getting Argentine permanent residency first and then dealing with Uruguay. Thanks for all the input!

Back