US Citizen Interested in moving to Buenos Aries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you from/have you ever lived in TX, El Tigre?
I am not from, nor have I ever lived in The Great State of TX, but I have visited it a few times.

I found TX (Dallas area in particular.) to be a nice place full of welcoming people. The cuisine is not fancy, but enjoyable. The culture of side arms is a bit different, but it is a deterrent as they say. All in all, if I were forced to live there, I would accept it without struggle. I could make it work.

I can't take credit for what follows as I read it here from another poster in the past, but I can attest to it being true:

If you are fat / overweight ... EXPECT to be addressed as "GORDO."

If you are thin / pencil thin ... EXPECT to be addressed as "FLACA / FLACO."

If you are dark skinned ... EXPECT to be addressed as "NEGRO."

And it goes on and on and on ...
Agree with above, 100%

Agree with above, 100%
I am neither fat, nor skinny or dark skinned, but darn it all ... they (Argentines.) will still pick up on something that you can't hide and address you according to it. AND - That is from the point of view of my in laws / close friends. MERCILESS yet HARMLESS ... ANNOYING at TIMES ... BUT - it's simply a cultural thing. No harm intended ... as a matter of fact, this is the measurement of being ACCEPTED if you ask me.

I am neither fat, nor skinny or dark skinned, but darn it all ... they (Argentines.) will still pick up on something that you can't hide and address you according to it. AND - That is from the point of view of my in laws / close friends. MERCILESS yet HARMLESS ... ANNOYING at TIMES ... BUT - it's simply a cultural thing. No harm intended ... as a matter of fact, this is the measurement of being ACCEPTED if you ask me.
I agree with that. If you are a “woke” US person screening constantly the news and media for something to be offended, you are going to have a hard time here in Argentina. It is not politically correct, but no harm meant.

Not sure. What's the pandemic situation in Buenos Aries? Here it shot up again and people are now urged or demanded to wear masks, so I imagine itll be reduced some from that. Other countries have beaten it more or less? like China, South Korea? Sorry I'm not up to speed on the status. I think vaccine might be happening as well, lots of resources are going into it worldwide. But you ask a good question, when? If by end of year they open up and allow me to come, without much restriction, quarantine, I may do it, or maybe wait until it gets more normal, places are open, no mask restriction, but that might take lonexicoger.

Plan to visit Argentina sometime in 2021

You may want to look at other destinations
(Unless you like to suffer)

Europe
Southern Portugal, Greece, Croatia
Low cost airlines will take you in a couple of hours all over Europe for 50 Euros?

Nothing beats coming down here and seing for yourself. Give yourself a couple of months, at least to get the feel of the land.

200k is a bit short if you want to move permanently, IMO.

Sorry to say, your guns are not welcome here. If you mentioned them, they must be important to you.
If and when you become a permanent resident, it might be possible to bring in, permanently, one or a few handguns.
Citizens with «black rifles» are HUGE no-no. Even 22lr carbines are frown upon.
Guns, if available, cost at least twice than in the US. Ammo is cost-prohibitive.

Time to get an argie girlfriend/boyfriend/other and start learning the lingo.

GL and welcome.

Iz

What's it like purchasing products online, from Amazon, Ebay, or other online stores?

"200k is a bit short if you want to move permanently, IMO."

Iz
What it takes (With respect to money in the bank and, or income.) for someone to move to Argentina on a permanent basis:

Ideally as much as you can get your hands on, or earn!!!!!

Here are my thoughts on the topic:

The younger you are, the more important the income number, the older you are, the more important the money in the bank number.

A person needs to be and should want to be, if they have any good sense of preservation in their head ... BULLET PROOF! In that if they never, ever worked again, they can live in Argentina independently and well. Well = Having a nice, clean, secure place to live. They may or may not need / want a car, but I am going to say a car. Access to healthcare, good food and clothing. A social life comprised of entertainment, shopping and travel to some reasonable extent. And perhaps the ability to pursue a hobby or interest that isn't outlandish in terms of cost.

In my opinion, a person can be BULLET PROOF with $500K in the bank and annual income of $25K in USD.

$250K of that $500K would be ticking off about 5% ANNUALLY IN DIVIDEND INCOME or INTEREST INCOME (Rates will come back, just not anytime soon.) to the tune of about $12.5K / year. The other $250K would be kept liquid, money market, CDs or T-BILLs in a laddered array in the event of a need to supplement your yearly income. (And that would / should be a rarity, but it is a safety net of sorts.) And if you really could do it on your income level, I would allocate that other $250K to aggressive growth ... spread out over about 7 to 10 ideas. Patience and good stock picking could take that $250K to a much larger number inside of 5 to 10 years ... with relative safety.

A younger person should be able to make a lot more than $25K remotely ... and an older person may have quite a bit more than $500K in the bank ... But I tried to address the "MIXED SWEET SPOT" of them both ... regardless of age.

I would love to get feed back on this post ... please comment if you would!

What it takes (With respect to money in the bank and, or income.) for someone to move to Argentina on a permanent basis:

Ideally as much as you can get your hands on, or earn!!!!!

Here are my thoughts on the topic:

The younger you are, the more important the income number, the older you are, the more important the money in the bank number.

A person needs to be and should want to be, if they have any good sense of preservation in their head ... BULLET PROOF! In that if they never, ever worked again, they can live in Argentina independently and well. Well = Having a nice, clean, secure place to live. They may or may not need / want a car, but I am going to say a car. Access to healthcare, good food and clothing. A social life comprised of entertainment, shopping and travel to some reasonable extent. And perhaps the ability to pursue a hobby or interest that isn't outlandish in terms of cost.

In my opinion, a person can be BULLET PROOF with $500K in the bank and annual income of $25K in USD.

$250K of that $500K would be ticking off about 5% ANNUALLY IN DIVIDEND INCOME or INTEREST INCOME (Rates will come back, just not anytime soon.) to the tune of about $12.5K / year. The other $250K would be kept liquid, money market, CDs or T-BILLs in a laddered array in the event of a need to supplement your yearly income. (And that would / should be a rarity, but it is a safety net of sorts.) And if you really could do it on your income level, I would allocate that other $250K to aggressive growth ... spread out over about 7 to 10 ideas. Patience and good stock picking could take that $250K to a much larger number inside of 5 to 10 years ... with relative safety.

A younger person should be able to make a lot more than $25K remotely ... and an older person may have quite a bit more than $500K in the bank ... But I tried to address the "MIXED SWEET SPOT" of them both ... regardless of age.

I would love to get feed back on this post ... please comment if you would!

That's interesting. So you think 25K a year could be earned remotely? What kind of work? The 500K would be nice to have, but not everyone has that kind of cash, and it sounds like it can be done for less, especially if you can work remotely. Are you an investor? Might you tweak your strategy with some investments, natural gas, crude oil, maybe put 50-100K of it in those while they're at relative low levels and just wait for a pop and get 50% or double your money, assuming it doesn't go to negative like it did before, which seems very rare. Or what about VIX futures when they come back down, buy some of those and wait for a pop, never tried it but something I would be interested in. Tell me about what you think about this strategy that is more for my own personal situation:

I have a couple of books that I've been writing but almost never get a chance to because of full time work. If I move to Buenos Aries with 200 or 300K, can I find work online, this time part time, and make ends meet, while spending the rest of the time finishing the books?

What's it like purchasing products online, from Amazon, Ebay, or other online stores?
you don't.

you buy from mercado libre, which is argentina's version of amazon basically. amazon does reach here, but the products that will ship internationally are not as many and you will pay a fortune in import taxes probably. if you want something from the outside, you bring it in yourself.

the ease of e-commerce in the US is not the same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back