US Citizen Interested in moving to Buenos Aries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be careful or avoid mentioning my iranian roots. Argentina has an open wound and most people are not educated enough to make subtle distinctions between politics and common sense.

Iz

I'm not happy here in Texas for various reasons:

1. Cost of living. Get paid actually very little, roughly 40-50K per year, varies, and am constantly working while my money is not going a long way. Don't even have health insurance, since I'm more of a temp or contract employee. After the work from home experience for the first time, which I'm doing now, I realized how much better it is, so got interested in that and then thought maybe good to live somewhere else, especially where it's a similar time zone as US, better cost of living, good quality services, great culture, good weather, etc. Buenos Aries seems to have it better in a lot of ways than Dallas, depending on where you are living and how much money you have. Sure, if I had lots of money I'd live in NY, California, or better parts of Dallas, but I don't have that right now. Though I may have to change my line of work, my type of work is not normally work from home and also they may not allow me to work from far away.
2. Culture. Not happy here in the South of USA. The culture here, on average, is less friendly to people who are foreign born than say the culture of NY, or California. Visited both NY and California and noticed a major difference. Similar situation to what blacks are going through in some part of USA. Saw lots of walking street tours of Buenos Aries on YouTube and could tell a lot about the tone of the people. Seems very similar to NY in that. Some regions of Texas are very good in that regard, like Austin, Amarillo maybe, and parts of Dallas. But on average the South tends to have more of such issues that I mentioned.
3. Weather. As mentioned. Very bad weather here. Humid and super hot.

You have answered yourself, don't waste time....

1. and 2.

You need to go to Europe for Culture as I suggested before look no further
Portugal, Greece, Croatia
Access to all Capitals in Europe 1 hour , low cost you will be a New Man
Cost of living in Southern Europe is the same or lower than BA perhaps a Studio is the same or US$ 100 more there
Compare costs in the link below BA versus low budget Europe

3. The weather in Houston is no way near BA , I lived in Houston and the heat in summer is unbearable is torpid, if you walk at noon in Downton you feel like daggers on your back, and the Humidity at night is a wet sauna. Living without Aircon impossible.Never seen that in BA after 15 years.

Last edited:
You have answered yourself, don't waste time....

1. and 2.

You need to go to Europe for Culture as I suggested before look no further
Portugal, Greece, Croatia
Access to all Capitals in Europe 1 hour , low cost you will be a New Man
Cost of living in Southern Europe is the same or lower than BA perhaps a Studio is the same or US$ 100 more there
Compare costs in the link below BA versus low budget Europe

3. The weather in Houston is no way near BA , I lived in Houston and the heat in summer is unbearable is torpid, if you walk at noon in Downton you feel like daggers on your back, and the Humidity at night is a wet sauna. Living without Aircon impossible.Never seen that in BA after 15 years.

Great to hear about the weather. That was my hope, and it makes sense since temperatures don't get as high as in Houston. What about Dallas? Is BA weather better? Europe sounds interesting, but have some concerns. For example, time zone is very different than US. If my current employers allow me to work online I have to do it at a certain time. I checked out cost of living of BA compared to Lisbon and Athens and it was lower. Don't know much about Croatia. The website I used was numbeo.com. Also, not sure what this means but I got a good feeling about BA.

I'll be careful or avoid mentioning my iranian roots. Argentina has an open wound and most people are not educated enough to make subtle distinctions between politics and common sense.

Iz

Iranian Roots? getting a visa in Argentina for an Iranian Citizen is a lengthy process , via the Iranian Consulate in BA. A letter of invitation from an Argentinian assuming all expenditures during the stay etc. They visit your house for certification. This was the procedure four years ago as I witnessed it. The Residency application more cumbersome. Just Saying..!

(Aleh Shoma Khube ? Shoma Irani astid.?)

The hardest part about Europe for foreigners without ties to it is getting a residency permit without pumping at least €250,000+fees into a property in Greece (more in other Southern European countries)

Simply overstaying is not an option. Work permits in Southern Europe are difficult to obtain due to fewer opportunities for foreign professionals and work permits are not issued on a schengen wide basis.
Having lived in Southern Europe, it is not as cheap as it may seem if you don’t have an income in EUR and want to live in a decent city. Taxes are very high and it is very difficult to avoid them if living from overseas income.

If the economics and logistics are viable then I would also second that suggestion - Europe is a really fun place to live with a high quality of life and few worries.

Great to hear about the weather. That was my hope, and it makes sense since temperatures don't get as high as in Houston. What about Dallas? Is BA weather better? Europe sounds interesting, but have some concerns. For example, time zone is very different than US. If my current employers allow me to work online I have to do it at a certain time. I checked out cost of living of BA compared to Lisbon and Athens and it was lower. Don't know much about Croatia. The website I used was numbeo.com. Also, not sure what this means but I got a good feeling about BA.

Well if you want to live in the Best fancy areas of Lisbon or Athens its true, you can also live in cheaper areas . I suggested southern Portugal . Algarve , and other cities in Greece like Corfu or Thessaloniki .

Well Welcome to BA Heaven on Earth. Argentina Will Always have the Greatest POTENTIAL ... (never reach it). As they say here W' are condemned to Success..?

All young professionals here are planning to leave , while some want to be established here? I takes two to Tango..!

The hardest part about Europe for foreigners without ties to it is getting a residency permit without pumping at least €250,000+fees into a property in Greece (more in other Southern European countries)

Simply overstaying is not an option. Work permits in Southern Europe are difficult to obtain due to fewer opportunities for foreign professionals and work permits are not issued on a schengen wide basis.
Having lived in Southern Europe, it is not as cheap as it may seem if you don’t have an income in EUR and want to live in a decent city. Taxes are very high and it is very difficult to avoid them if living from overseas income.

If the economics and logistics are viable then I would also second that suggestion - Europe is a really fun place to live with a high quality of life and few worries.

Southern Europe is for the ones that Have a minimum of US$2000 passive income and can work online to supplement. Getting a work permit foreget it unless you are a Schengen space citizen

Dallas native here. I don't live in BA though. I would try an extended vacation first before bet the farm on living in AR. It will be very very different from what you're used to. Veganism only really flies in BA. In other location many time they won't even understand the concept as you will still get cheese and eggs in your meals.

Give it a shot but don't fully commit until you're sure.

Dallas native here. I don't live in BA though. I would try an extended vacation first before bet the farm on living in AR. It will be very very different from what you're used to. Veganism only really flies in BA. In other location many time they won't even understand the concept as you will still get cheese and eggs in your meals.

Give it a shot but don't fully commit until you're sure.

Yes, that's what I'll do, maybe stay for over a month. Can you comment on how the summer weather compares to Dallas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back