US Citizenship for Baby question - Help!

it was very smooth for us too. But we are both US citizens. It took also about couple of weeks. Just have all the docs in order. All info on US embassy site is pretty much all you need. I also had all my doctors and hospital papers, then i was pregnant,( test results, ultrasounds etc.) and they did check it. Also had tax returns from then we were still in states. Both parents have to be there. We paid for everything there. Also did SSN there, since we do have to file taxes, have to have your child listed as dependent.
am assuming you will be going all together. Otherwise don't forget to have your husband's permission( notarized) to travel alone with the baby. Have babies argentine birth certificate and Argentine passport. Oh, and don't forget dollars in cash,(ask Cristina to give you some :)) otherwise you'll pay 15% more :) Good luck!

nikad said:
Also is it true ( according to the US embassy site ) that we cannot even take a toy or diaper bag or keys or glasses or purse or anything at all but our own selves????

As I recall, they did take my wife's purse and bag and they also take all your keys. They take all of it and put it in a storage cubby space. Then they give you a plastic claim ticket that you give back and they will give you your stuff as you exit.

I don't think we could use a stroller but they did allow us to carry in one of those baby car type seats that the baby could sit in. Also, my wife carried in a diaper or two without problems but I don't think you can bring your bag.

I can't remember if they allowed a toy or not but I recall we had an appointment and it was fairly quick and easy. It's NOTHING like the other side where the Porteños are with the massive lines. It's all quick and easy typically on the USA citizen side.

The US Embassy folks are great so you should be in and out with your baby. It's all relatively easy and you can pay with cash or credit card.

Easy, easy easy!!

We did this about two months ago and had her passport within a week. It may take a little longer if you use DHL so I would suggest saving your money and just go back to pick it up.

Just make sure to have all of the information they list on the website. Or send an email to: [email protected] and they will send you a document listing everything you need.

They didn't ask me for nearly anything but its best to have everything just in case. I showed them my high school and university transcrips, but I also had tax returns and a DMV record.

Once you have your passport you have to schedule another appointment to get their SSN, but I wouldn't suggest calling... as they never pick up. Send an email to: [email protected] to schedule an appointment and they respond really quickly.

We were able to take in our diaper bag and stroller minus the hand sanatizer, creams, etc. Shhh... we also had toys!!!

You, your husband and child all need to be present. Also, make sure you have your passport photos! I gave them a few options just to be on the safe side.

There's a brown haired woman who works at window 15 who is just delightful! If she's there you're in luck! Theres a blond man who works at 16 who is also really great! He's the one who will swear in your child as a US Citizen.

All in all, it was an extremely easy process. PM me if you have any questions!!

Ok, we had our interview today and the outcome was not so good. We were there on time for our appointment, the place was packed full for both visas and citizen services. I had taken all the documentation. After 2 hours of wait, we were told that we needed to take more stuff to prove my husband lived in the US more than 5 years...He presented his US birth certificate and passport ( which is the first passport he ever got and was issued when he was 30 years old ) SO he obviously lived in the US 30 years!!! But oh no, we have to gather school reports, statements, etc. It really is nonsense. They make it so difficult to get a tourist visa if you can apply for citizenship that we decided to finally do this ( which I think is the reason why the make the visa difficult, ie just so your children get citizenship ) We must be retarded but if you were born in the US and got your first passport when you were 30... where were you all the time? Really this reminded me of all the bs we went through with his Argentine perm residency. Not happy at all, if it wasn´t for the trip, I would not even bother going back.

nikad said:
Ok, we had our interview today and the outcome was not so good. We were there on time for our appointment, the place was packed full for both visas and citizen services. I had taken all the documentation. After 2 hours of wait, we were told that we needed to take more stuff to prove my husband lived in the US more than 5 years...He presented his US birth certificate and passport ( which is the first passport he ever got and was issued when he was 30 years old ) SO he obviously lived in the US 30 years!!! But oh no, we have to gather school reports, statements, etc. It really is nonsense. They make it so difficult to get a tourist visa if you can apply for citizenship that we decided to finally do this ( which I think is the reason why the make the visa difficult, ie just so your children get citizenship ) We must be retarded but if you were born in the US and got your first passport when you were 30... where were you all the time? Really this reminded me of all the bs we went through with his Argentine perm residency. Not happy at all, if it wasn´t for the trip, I would not even bother going back.

Yes, they are very clear I think on the website what documentation they need. No, it's not good enough with just a passport and birth certificate. Even tax returns aren't good enough and they won't accept.

I remember going I had to show BOTH my University transcript AND my high school transcript. But the positive thing is this is very easy to get. Just call his high school and they should be able to email or fax you it.

The University will probably charge some small fee. Mine charged like $20 to get one but they faxed it to me ASAP. My high school didn't charge anything and faxed it right away too.

earlyretirement said:
Yes, they are very clear I think on the website what documentation they need. No, it's not good enough with just a passport and birth certificate. Even tax returns aren't good enough and they won't accept.

I remember going I had to show BOTH my University transcript AND my high school transcript. But the positive thing is this is very easy to get. Just call his high school and they should be able to email or fax you it.

The University will probably charge some small fee. Mine charged like $20 to get one but they faxed it to me ASAP. My high school didn't charge anything and faxed it right away too.

My experience was the same. I called my high school and had a pdf of my transcripts in 5 minutes. You can do it online with most universities with a small fee.

Like I said, make sure you have everything. Even rental contracts, car payments, whatever you can think of.

Good luck!

Wow, Nikad, sounds like a real bummer. We went through this 2 years ago when our second son was born here in Argentina (our first son was born in the U.S.). I am a U.S. citizen (by birth) and my wife is Argentine. I needed all the same documentation "proving" that I had lived in the U.S. for 5 years. I carefully read and re-read the documentation required (all dates of foreign travel, etc.) and thought, for a person like myself, who had been living in the U.S. but regularly traveling out of the U.S. for 20+ years, this is impossibly ridiculous. I emailed the U.S. embassy here in B.A. for a clarification and received an email back stating exactly what appeared on their websit, all travel dates, blah, blah, blah. I forget exactly what I did, but I basically wrote a narrative or outline saying where I was born, went to school, worked etc. (with the dates) and then said something like from 19xx- 20xx I made numerous trips to South America, Asia, Africa, etc. for business, etc. We had no problem and in fact the women said they had never received such detailed info. The thing that I later realized (which could be very important in our case and perhaps yours) is that a child of at least one U.S. citizen parent, born outside of the U.S. is not granted citizenship UNLESSS one citizen parent can prove/demonstrate that they have lived in the U.S. for more than 5 years. So, that means my son's children (if born outside of the U.S.) will NOT be granted U.S. citizenship unless my son has been in the U.S. for five years. If my son ends up basically living in Argentina but maybe goes to college or grad school in the U.S. or does and internship and then returns to Argentina and has children, the ONLY way those children will be granted U.S. citizenship is if my son can prove (probably with U.S. entry/exit dates in his passport) that he has physically resided in the U.S. for the 5 years. On one hand it is sort of logical, no sense granting citizenship to an individual who was not born in the U.S. and whose parents never "lived" in the U.S. This could be perpetuated for generations of people that have never set foot in the U.S. Anyway, I would definitely not give up, just take a few minutes and write as much detail with dates as you can and try again. Also, we have learned to travel with a large folder with all passports, all birth certificates (translated, with apostle, etc.) marriage license (only one of those), etc., etc., etc. Disclaimer, I am pretty sure what I said about citizenship is true, but I am not an attorney. Good Luck.

Thanks for all the replies and help. As you grow old I guess it is difficult to keep some papers. A high school diploma is not enough proof either ( who goes around carrying school reports? ) We are trying to contact the school and nobody seems to answer. My MIL seems to only have Baptism, Communion, and church papers and shots. She is trying to get information on property owned. We have his criminal check ( the one we used for his Arg residency ). Oh well, I guess eventually we will come up with the stuff...

Nikad - it really is very easy to get a transcript.

He just needs to call his high school and have them fax it as well as college (although frequently it can be done online). Sometimes they'll email them and you can just print it out.

From everything I've read here, it definitely sounds as though a U.S. father will have to show more than a U.S. mother. Still, either should have plenty on hand in case asked. Nikad, I'm sincerely not trying to be rude or cause trouble, but you asked for advice before your appt. and many people wrote about needing more than just a passport and birth certificate, so I'm not sure why you're so surprised? The link was provided which explains in detail the many things you should take with you, and several people mentioned taking school transcripts and needing them. So I'm sorry to say that it seems you brought the wasted time upon yourself.

Back