US congresswoman lets rip at Argentina, CFK over China ties

Finally someone that knows a little of history and for that reason i don't condemn Drake or Raleigh or general Robert E Lee for that matter, i am fully aware that we can't judge historical acts by today's standards that's why i fully agree with your assertion also i appreciate you knowing the difference between a privateer and a pirate.

Very interesting discussion. Lifting the standard on these pages.

Reference to what? i'm sure you can look it up.
Great Britain assisting Chile is not new, as a matter of fact there was at least one war British ship involved in the bombardment of the coast of Boliva, when that country had a coast line after they were done ,Bolivia ceased to have access to the ocean, meantime Argentina was negotiating a border dispute with Chile for the lands below the colorado river all the way down to tierra del fuego , coincidentally the one deciding that was none other than Great Britain acting as referee in border disputes.(1870s more or less)
Giving Argentina all lands south of the colorado and east of the andes , as you can see as far as Britain was concerned the falklands were paid for years later with that verdict..
Now when it comes to acquiring debt ,for whatever goods or services, it is done in the name of the country and is binding, so refusing to pay for armament sold to Argentina is not Britains concern what government did it.
If you have any doubts see how well you do when your ex wife uses your credit card , i'm sure you can swiftly slap that explanation on the banks face and no doubt that will work every time.
What makes you think I didn't look it up? It's a necessary first step dealing with culture warriors and people with agendas, quite often it turns out they just imagined something into existence...

My reference to Chile not paying, by the way, is buried in here: "PERILOUS WATERS: THE POLITICAL ECONOMY OF INTERNATIONAL WARSHIP EXPORTS", an interesting enough read.

And if your ex uses your credit card, that's identity theft, the bank may certainly try to weasel out of its responsibility to protect you from fraud, but it's not legal. Do look it up. And while you have the Google page open, look up "odious debt" as well.

What makes you think I didn't look it up? It's a necessary first step dealing with culture warriors and people with agendas, quite often it turns out they just imagined something into existence...

My reference to Chile not paying, by the way, is buried in here: "PERILOUS WATERS: THE POLITICAL ECONOMY OF INTERNATIONAL WARSHIP EXPORTS", an interesting enough read.

And if your ex uses your credit card, that's identity theft, the bank may certainly try to weasel out of its responsibility to protect you from fraud, but it's not legal. Do look it up. And while you have the Google page open, look up "odious debt" as well.
You don't like me much do you Frank? but go ahead and feel free to not assume that i am a culture warrior or have an agenda , also i never asked for proof of what you were claiming, your word was enough for me, after all i don't think you or i are important enough to actually change anything
And also thank you for exposing how patronizing you could be when you want to

An interesting discussion gets more interesting.

You don't like me much do you Frank? but go ahead and feel free to not assume that i am a culture warrior or have an agenda , also i never asked for proof of what you were claiming, your word was enough for me, after all i don't think you or i are important enough to actually change anything
made me literally laugh out loud

I'm sure we've all formed opinions about other posters, but I don't know that we have to get that personal about it. And really, why would you take the word of someone you don't know, never met, never had any useful interaction with, and probably wouldn't even like?

For me, I have a "nonsense filter" (this is in no way a comment on your posts). When I see unsupported statements my first reaction is: "Really? Why so?" and off I go to check things out. If you had shared your sources for the Argentinian non-payment claim, I might have learned something, as in fact I did from the link I followed to the academic paper about UK arms sales. Oh well.

I guess Alby is your audience for the history lessons though, I've only been around for the last 50-60 years.

And why is it that if you tell me to "look it up" that's fine, but if I give you your own words back, I'm patronizing. That's fine, there's lots more where that came from :rolleyes: but, you know, I would have expected a more robust response from someone who's been around the forum for 10 years or so. Whatever, I got it...

Alby's learning a lot from everyone participating in this discussion.

Ok Frank, i'm gonna be wrapping this conversation up with you for the time being if you don't mind.
As far as why would i believe you?, the question is, to me why wouldn't i believe you, i never met you and if what your saying makes no sense or does not line up , i would look up your claim and see if it is true or not, the one thing i wouldn't do is demand or ask for proof from someone that you suspect of being a cultural warrior or have a certain agenda due to your ''nonsense filter''.
Once again, i have no obligation to provide you with proof of anything and that's where the ''look it up'' comes in...... and i apologize if my response was not robust enough and your expectations were not met, i had no expectations from you but now you surprise me saying you've been around for 50-60 years...... i really don't know what that means and really at this point i rather never knowing whew
Goodbye Frank

Back