US credit card not accepted anymore

HHISCUSA

Registered
Hello friends,
I've been here with my husband now since May of this year, and suddenly, our Chase credit cards are no longer accepted in two chains of supermarkets. Any idea why is that, or can anyone suggest what can be done to solve this problem? Thank you all!!!

This would be news to me, I have used my debit card without any problems what's so ever. Just curious, is yours a debit or credit card? I know you said credit, but I am just making sure you didn't mean debit.

Stores that accept foreign credit cards pay a 10% service charge. It costs them more to process a credit card transaction.

I have a debit card with a credit union, and use it on rare occasions for purchases over 1,000 pesos.

news to me too, but i haven't tried mine in a couple months in the grocery stores.

Have you tried calling the number on the back of the card and asking if they put a hold on it? Have you used it successfully with other purchases lately?

This would be news to me, I have used my debit card without any problems what's so ever. Just curious, is yours a debit or credit card? I know you said credit, but I am just making sure you didn't mean debit.[/QUOTE
I confirm, this is two Chase Sapphire credit cards. We used them since we arrived in May. Now, no more at any Express store or DIA!

I'm back with news on the US Credit Cards. I contacted my Chase cc company three times. The first one, I called from a landline. After dialing the toll-free cc number, Telefónica Argentina informed me that the number I dialed was not reachable at this time (!!!!). I tried again from my husband's cell phone. I managed to reach the cc company when I was abruptly disconnected 5 minutes into my conversation with an assistant about my cc issue (!!!!). I called again using my cell phone, and the same happened (!!!!). I started getting pretty stressed wondering why ain't I able to reach my cc company? So, I got hold of my laptop and called using Skype. Had no problems anymore, and talked all the time I needed. Spoke to a third attendant who investigated the matter, confirmed my ID, and even pointed the places where our cards were rejected. The lady said that there's no cause, whatsoever, why our cards should not work. She said that she could read in her system, that the expiration dates on both our cards were registered as 00/00, which of course, is totally incorrect. She also mentioned that our security codes read 000. She was puzzled as I still am too. I assume this has zilch to do with the US cc company, but is mostly a manipulation from the cc systems here in Argentina, to stop people from using US cards after an extended period of time, and force everyone to get an Argentine cc card which will mean absurd maintenance and/or very high money transfer costs. I'm sure that several foreigners living here longer than 6 months and with Argentine IDs are or will be experiencing the same soon. Mind my words! Allow me to clarify that so far, our cards are being rejected in two (2) lines of supermarkets, but not in restaurants. I also went for a haircut yesterday, and when I was done, I paid with my Chase cc, but the stylist added an additional 10%. So, I ended up paying $600 pesos for the haircut, and an additional $60 just for the hell of it, without any previous warning. Sickening!

Have you tried calling the number on the back of the card and asking if they put a hold on it? Have you used it successfully with other purchases lately?
We use them without any trouble at coffee shops and restaurants. But they've been now blocked at Express and DIA supermarkets.

No trouble whatsoever using CC anywhere from supermarkets, restaurants or even little verdulerias.

At Coto supermarkets while using a USA credit card the cashier called the supervisor who instructed her on how to use it. When swiped on the side doesn't work must be inserted in the front of the device. Sometimes debit cards must be read as Credit to work...?

Back