Us Embassy Salaries Below Legal Minimum In The Us?

nikad

Registered
I was just going through the job section at the US embassy website in Bs As. I see they offer two different pay scales - ordinarily residents, and non ordinarily residents.

-----

Not Ordinarily Resident (NOR)

An individual who:
is not a citizen of the host country; and,
Does not ordinarily reside (OR, see below) in the host country; and,
Is not subject to host country employment and tax laws; and,
Has a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN).

NOR employees are compensated under a GS or FS salary schedule, not under the LCP.

Ordinarily Resident (OR)

A Foreign National or U.S. citizen who:
Is locally resident; and,
Has legal, permanent resident status within the host country; and,
is subject to host country employment and tax laws.

EFMs without U.S. Social Security Numbers are also OR.

All OR employees, including U.S.
citizens, are compensated in accordance with the Local Compensation Plan (LCP).

------

Now if as an expat, say you are a US citizen with permanent residency in Argentina and you apply for a job, based on what I posted above, you are considered ordinarily resident, hence go by the following pay scale:

http://photos.state....atesFSN2013.pdf

So the minimum they pay is 42404 pesos gross per year.

When working at the embassy are you considered to be working in Argentine territory or US?

My question is, Could you be a US citizen, working for a salary below the legal minimum in your country then?

I have a few friends that were about to apply for some positions, and I figured I would post this here, as I believe there are some forum posters related to the US mission in the country.

Embassies are not sovereign territory. In other words, when you enter a U.S. Embassy, you are not considered to be on U.S. soil. http://diplomacy.sta...aces/170537.htm

With regard to hiring, embassies have to abide by the host country's labor laws for local hires. This is why they require US citizens who apply locally to have the proper work permits. This would also explain why the salaries are below the minimum wage in the U.S.

I'd assume that local hires would be anyone who doesn't need a security or top secret security clearance to do their job.

I've always been curious about that!i always assumed that the pay was AMAZING! and wanted to apply at the canadian embassy when I get my DNI!
according to the the US pay chart, the pay is SHIT!!!!!!

The pay scales at US embassies for locally hired personnel are consistent with the local pay scales. sure the local pay scale at the Delhi US Embassy is much lower than here. :cool:

This has always been the case, all over the world and at any embassy. The fact that you just discovered it doesn't make it new. If you were working for microsoft in BA you would be earning at the local rate also. However working for the embasy has some benifits regarding security of employment and working conditions that are very difficult to duplicate in the outside market. Those jobs are highly valued by some locals.

This has always been the case, all over the world and at any embassy. The fact that you just discovered it doesn't make it new. If you were working for microsoft in BA you would be earning at the local rate also. However working for the embasy has some benifits regarding security of employment and working conditions that are very difficult to duplicate in the outside market. Those jobs are highly valued by some locals.

Well, seems that the working conditions are better outside in the market, I pay 3 times more to my staff than the US Embassy...

Interesting Ghost, Could you elaborate on these benefits? At a glance those salaries are on the lower end for locally hired personnel. I know they are regulated, but I think this explains why they constantly have openings.

An American friend tried repeatedly to get a job at the US embassy but was never even offered an interview. He insists they want Argentines. Judging by a lot of the emails that go out and the people who answer the phone, this is the case.

Back