US/European style Head Hunter/Job Coach? (long)

dani28

Registered
I arrived in Buenos Aires a little over a month ago with the intention of staying indefinitely as things back home (Madrid) aren't exactly a stroll in the park as far as finding employment and cost of living.
Before moving to Buenos Aires, I also went back to the USA for 8 months, which is where I studied and have lived/worked for numerous years (and also hold US citizenship) but found that the job situation wasn't great and again, cost of living in major cities such as Chicago (where I was) were outrageous, and not only that but I honestly had reverse culture shock missing the European/Latin culture and way of life.

I have posted my CV on numerous job boards and in a months time have actually made it through the ¨selection processes¨ for 2 different posts but at the moment no cigar.
On one of the posts, in my last interview, the interviewer seemed very hestitant that I would transition well into Argentine salaries, mind you I didnt share my salary background or give expectations and this post paid a exceptionally good Argentine salary (10.000-12.000 a month), and I reiterated that I have worked in many different markets and am very adaptable and that I wanted to focus more on the long term opportunity rather than remain focused on a certain salary figure.
For the other post, my final interview was extensive but the end pretty cut and dry, the recruiter told me ¨profile wise¨I was exactly what they were looking for and would present my candidacy to the company client, it has been over a week and I havent heard back.

I'm wondering if the concept of head hunters/job coaches exist out here? I have a pretty good and internationally exposed CV, am at a pretty attractive hiring age by Argentine standards (29), speak Spanish, English, French, Italian, and Portuguese, and have a Masters degree from a reputable university. Obviously the only downside is my not having citizenship, however in none of my interviews has this seemed like it would be a huge issue, and specifically on one they were looking to candidates with international experience.

Does anybody know of any or any advise in general that you might be able to pass along?

Thanks again.

Are you interviewing with international companies? If so, your lack of citizenship isn't an issue, they can sponsor you for a work visa as I'm sure they're already registered. If you are interviewing with smaller companies, it very well may be an issue as they don't want to go through the headache of dealing with migraciones to register the company to employ extranjeros.

Headhunters - yes but I will say our company has never used them. Have you looked at bumeran.com? That is the site we used in the past to hire people.

Typically though, with many companies, esp non-multinationals, hiring is based on someone refering you. Because the risk is so high to the employer in hiring, it really helps to have another employee "vouch" for a candidate. So would definitely start networking amongst friends and accquaintances to get your foot in the door at a company.

Yes, both of the posts I have interviewed for have been with international companies, that is why the citizenship issue has never been an issue, aside from friends telling me that, as a general rule (as I guess might be the case in most countries) an Argentine with slightly less experience may have preference due to the fact that he's Argentine and I am not. (The interviewers/consultorias are Argentine even if the company itself is not)

I am using Bumeran, that is how I am getting the responses.

I would also venture a guess that as you've only been here for a month, that they might not be certain of your committment to stay which may result in the lack of an offer. Sounds like you have good prospects and are an excellent candidate, though. Best of luck to you.

I know of at least one headhunting agency here, as I used to do some work for them (prepping/coaching job candidates for English-language interviews.) Whether they represent non-Argentine candidates, I really don't know. Somehow I doubt it.

From what I gather, a lot of the BA hiring process depends on "who you know." Many of my Argentine acquaintances (youngish professionals) have mentioned either getting their job through a friend, or vice-versa. So like Citygirl said, your best bet might be to just go out and make friends with locals who work in your field.

star, do you have the details of this head hunting agency? thanks in advance.

Back