US ex pats that married Argentine Citizen help

If you are getting married and receiving U.S. Social Security, be sure to look into filing for her. She will likely qualify to receive a separate benefit based on being your spouse. The benefit could be equal to one half the amount of yours.

If you are getting married and receiving U.S. Social Security, be sure to look into filing for her. She will likely qualify to receive a separate benefit based on being your spouse. The benefit could be equal to one half the amount of yours.
A friend of mine in Mexico researched this and he was told that his Mexican wife would qualify to receive 50% of his benefit after she turned 65, provided he was already dead. 🤠

Heya, VV! Long time no talkee. How have you been?
Heya, heya, Redpossum!

True... tanto tiempo! I'm still here, keeping busy between two adorable (but crazy ;) ) kids and my ridiculous teaching hours. Can't complain, though. I hope you are well! <3

Not true. I'm alive and my spouse gets the benefit.. but she might still get it "even" if he is already dead.
Wow, tthat means that if I got married to an Argentine woman, my (our) monthly income would increase by $280 USD per month.

Somebody please, get me to the church on time!!

On second thought, being married would no doubt cost more than the increase in income..so...

...nevermind. 🤠

PS: At the time my friend in Mexico inquired about the SS benefits for his wife, he was 68 years old and terminally ill.

He told me that he understood that his wife would have to be 65 years old to receive 50% of his benefits.

His wife was only 56 years old then, so he obviously assumed he would be dead before she could receive any benefits..

...and he hoped that somone like me (the same age as his wife) would help her apply for the benefit when she turned 65.

Last edited:
@Sam Bartolo it's really not that big a deal to get married. Getting married I think you just have to submit the blood test, proof of divorce or deceased spouse, and then schedule with the local judge in the neighborhood your wife lives when you get here.

However, once you are married, then comes the fun part of getting your permanent residence (you can go for citizenship if you want to I believe). Some things you'll want to do before you come here:

- Make sure your passport doesn't have a middle initial and spells out your entire name. If it doesn't correspond with your birth certificate it's a pain and you'll probably have to get a letter from the embassy. Easier to just ask for a new one.
- Get your birth certificate apostilled before you come. You can normally order this online with your state and it takes a couple of weeks. You pay a fee, send it in, and it comes back with an apostille.
- I wouldn't request the background check until you are here; who knows how much back and forth you'll have to do before you finally have everything.

It took some doing when I did my permanent visa but it could have been worse. I'd say getting my wife a permanent visa in the USA was probably much worse and far more expensive. Keep records of everything you can.

Really! That would be nice! Thank you for that information!

Thank you!

Sam
@Sam Bartolo it's really not that big a deal to get married. Getting married I think you just have to submit the blood test, proof of divorce or deceased spouse, and then schedule with the local judge in the neighborhood your wife lives when you get here.

However, once you are married, then comes the fun part of getting your permanent residence (you can go for citizenship if you want to I believe). Some things you'll want to do before you come here:

- Make sure your passport doesn't have a middle initial and spells out your entire name. If it doesn't correspond with your birth certificate it's a pain and you'll probably have to get a letter from the embassy. Easier to just ask for a new one.
- Get your birth certificate apostilled before you come. You can normally order this online with your state and it takes a couple of weeks. You pay a fee, send it in, and it comes back with an apostille.
- I wouldn't request the background check until you are here; who knows how much back and forth you'll have to do before you finally have everything.

It took some doing when I did my permanent visa but it could have been worse. I'd say getting my wife a permanent visa in the USA was probably much worse and far more expensive. Keep records of everything you can.

Great Information especially on Birth Certificate !

My middle name is spelled out on my passport, no middle name or intial on Birth Cetificate, what advice do you offer that I might have to go to Embassy? (No Middle names until confirmation. )

Im having both done now B/C and FBI. BC us harder than the FBI to be Apostilled.

I had to send it back today, hopefully no problems for FBI.

Its taken from 8 to 12 weeks in both to be returned for Apostille!

Id like to be out of here by April.

Thanks

Hola, I had the same intention. I am divorced and that last obstacle has me looking for marginal notes from divorce papers. That’s all the Civil Registry said I need now after several trips to their office. I have no idea where to find the answer to their last response. Best to you.

Back