Us Immigration To Argentina Record In 2013

Perhaps someone who understands immigration policy better than I can enlighten me. According to that article, Argentina is intaking about the same number of immigrants per year as Canada, a country with a slightly smaller population (about 5 million less). One assumes that these are legal immigrants only. Canada has fairly few illegal immigrants, Argentina likely has many more. Canada is #11 on the UN HDI; Argentina is #45.

But here I am trying to make sense (or sense of) ...
One correction I would like to make here. Argentina doesn't have ANY "illegal" immigrants. That concept thankfully does not exist here. There are citizens of other countries who have irregular immigration status, but that is NOT in any way, shape or form illegal in Argentina. There is no immigration prison here, you can roost as long as you like with or without your documents registered in a folder in the migraciones office. You can and will be deported if you commit an actual crime as per the penal code, but just for having your feet on Argentine soil you will not be subject to any penal laws, no matter who you are, or where you come from. I applaud this policy. Immigrants are the lifeblood of societies, some are great, some are not, some contribute (I would say MOST do) and some don't. Without the free movement of people this world would never have had any positive growth. Does it have to be managed? Yes. Should it be tightly restricted and overly selective just for the elite few? NO! Every citizen of the world should be able to seek their fortune where they want to! I hope president Obama (who I like) reads this. Argentine immigration policy should be the model for the rest of the world.

Neither was that my intention. Just showing that for someone that went through a much more complex process, coming here as a US retiree does not seem that complicated or painful. Economically speaking, seems like a no brainier. Specially considering the healthcare aspects of it.

I don't think it is so simple. In the US as a 65+ retired person you have Medicare allowing you to go to the best hospitals if you want. In Argentina for good medical care you have to pay for private insurance. Not cheap. Also the economic conditions that exist now may not be the same in the future - almost certainly will not be the same. When I first came it was 1 peso / 1 dollar. It's been a roller coaster since. For a retired person it would be pretty unstable. Most older people are not up for that stress.

One correction I would like to make here. Argentina doesn't have ANY "illegal" immigrants. That concept thankfully does not exist here. There are citizens of other countries who have irregular immigration status, but that is NOT in any way, shape or form illegal in Argentina. There is no immigration prison here, you can roost as long as you like with or without your documents registered in a folder in the migraciones office. You can and will be deported if you commit an actual crime as per the penal code, but just for having your feet on Argentine soil you will not be subject to any penal laws, no matter who you are, or where you come from. I applaud this policy. Immigrants are the lifeblood of societies, some are great, some are not, some contribute (I would say MOST do) and some don't. Without the free movement of people this world would never have had any positive growth. Does it have to be managed? Yes. Should it be tightly restricted and overly selective just for the elite few? NO! Every citizen of the world should be able to seek their fortune where they want to! I hope president Obama (who I like) reads this. Argentine immigration policy should be the model for the rest of the world.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that any Argentine policy should be a model for the rest of the world - in this case, I think it's more a function of benign neglect. That said, I believe in open borders and would like to see the US ease its restrictions and regularize the immigrants we have there now. The biggest problem is the country's xenophobic right wing, which goes out of its way to obstruct any reform.

The constitution of Argentina says that any person in the world who wants to can live here:
"con el objeto de constituir la unión nacional, afianzar la justicia, consolidar la paz interior, proveer a la defensa común, promover el bienestar general, y asegurar los beneficios de la libertad, para nosotros, para nuestra posteridad, y para todos los hombres del mundo que quieran habitar en el suelo argentino",
Makes sense, the country is about the size of India with only 40 million people, they could easily absorb a hundred million more as long as they don´t all settle in CABA. Just gotta show that you aren´t a criminal and some basic documents to get residency, and no one is going to deport you.

On another note, I read the article: those were the most horrid photos I have seen in a while!

Back